grado flat pads
Dec 15, 2004 at 11:28 PM Post #2 of 11
The difference is not small. The high price is regrettable, but it is worth it. If you can't afford 30 dollars, you could always purchase pads from Sennheiser (for the HD414) that are very similar and less expensive. They're bright yellow, so if you care about that you could try to dye them.

Dec 15, 2004 at 11:43 PM Post #4 of 11
That's interesting...I wonder how comfortable they are. I'd be interested in those if they were comfortable and didn't negatively affect the sound.

Oh...you have to put them on your ear, I thought they went on the headphone. Hmmm....don't know what to think there, may be too vulcan like, heh.

Dec 15, 2004 at 11:59 PM Post #6 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by X14Halo
ill be getting my sr225 in a few days....are the flat pads really worth 30 more bucks? How much of a difference do they make?

You could try the Senn pads, very comfortable, plus a very nice tonal balance.
FWIW, probably I'm the only one who prefers the Senn pads, and I have all four known kinds of pads.

Dec 16, 2004 at 12:20 AM Post #7 of 11
I wrote the guy who makes them and he said that they're as comfy as the Senns after the mod. There's also a heavily moded pair of Grados in one of the threads on this site. The guy re-machined the aluminum and put new pads on among other things...way too much work for me but they look very cool.

The proximity thing is an issue, but I think flat pads aren't what the Grado engineers intended either...that's why they came with the cups. I think I'm going to go for HD650 on comfort grounds...I need to get the heavy leather things I have now off my head!

Dec 16, 2004 at 1:10 AM Post #8 of 11
Grados originally came with Flats. They were replaced with bowls since John likes them better. I agree, but flats do have their own flavor. I'd personally value the flats at $20, but that's just me. I'm a bowl man.

Dec 16, 2004 at 1:13 AM Post #9 of 11
im a flat guy and i love them. the bowls sounded a little to thin when i used them. i still change from time to time, but to me the sound is more rich with the flats.

Dec 16, 2004 at 2:43 AM Post #10 of 11
I really don't like the idea of spending $30 on two pieces of foam, and actually still feel bad about asking my dad for these. Are they worth the $30 in terms of sound? Oh yeah. Huge difference, as I've said in my flat pads thread. The bass is just awesome. I still think the bowls have a lot better sound, though. Personally, and it's obvious that a lot agree, I think it's worth the sacrifice for the sound the flats have. Bass!
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 28, 2004 at 9:51 PM Post #11 of 11
just an update.... i've had my sr225's for a week now, and they get better and better everyday. I just received the flat pads today...and i gotta say, they add alot of bass. I am verrrry happy.
eggosmile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back