Grado Flat Pads
Sep 15, 2004 at 9:44 PM Post #16 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sean H
Definitely cut out the center of the Senn pad, that's what everyone does actually. You haven't lost your senses. I believe people have said to take a 1" to 1.25" socket from a wrench set and place it in the center of the pad and cut around it for the right sized hole. It's been so long since I did mine I forgot.

Incidentally, I actually PREFER the Senn pads to the flat pads myself. Sonically I find them very similar but the flat pads were so flat that the driver units (practically sitting on your ears) hurt my ears big time. The Senn pads allow a little bit of space and much more cushion, and are more comfortable. Again, I find the Senn pads to sound as good as the flats, IMO.

listen to this man, he knows what he's saying.

but you can always go to radioshack and buy their replacement pads, it'll work just as well for $2.99.

Sep 15, 2004 at 9:46 PM Post #17 of 29
I find that odd . . . the senn pads put my ears on the drivers, the flats just put em close. The senn pads are much thinner. As for comfort, the senn pads rule all.

Sep 16, 2004 at 1:12 AM Post #18 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by h3nG
listen to this man, he knows what he's saying.

but you can always go to radioshack and buy their replacement pads, it'll work just as well for $2.99.

Are the RShack pads basically the same as the Senn pads? A lot of people like the modded Senn pads but I was thinking if the RS pads are only $2.99 and end up being the same after the cut-out mod, why do so many people bother with the Senns?
confused.gif

Sep 16, 2004 at 1:35 AM Post #19 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by Imyourzero
Are the RShack pads basically the same as the Senn pads? A lot of people like the modded Senn pads but I was thinking if the RS pads are only $2.99 and end up being the same after the cut-out mod, why do so many people bother with the Senns?
confused.gif

No the RS pads are thinner, smaller diameter and fit poorly; especially if you cut the hole as there is nothing left. They will barely stay on the drivers. The senns are the second best sounding, much more durable, the MOST comfortable by far and they only cost a little more than the RS pads at about $4.50 vs $25-30 for the flats. Thats why people bother with them.
wink.gif
That said, I still like the sound of the flats best. I use the senns when I need a comfort break and the sound is very close in quality to the flats to me. I think the yellow/ black contrast looks good too.
redface.gif

Sep 16, 2004 at 1:52 AM Post #20 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by sacd lover
No the RS pads are thinner, smaller diameter and fit poorly; especially if you cut the hole as there is nothing left. They will barely stay on the drivers. The senns are the second best sounding, much more durable, the MOST comfortable by far and they only cost a little more than the RS pads at about $4.50 vs $25-30 for the flats. Thats why people bother with them.
wink.gif
That said, I still like the sound of the flats best. I use the senns when I need a comfort break and the sound is very close in quality to the flats to me. I think the yellow/ black contrast looks good too.
redface.gif

Ah I see. I wasn't aware that the Senn pads were so inexpensive. Thanks for the info! I'll make sure NOT to try the RS pads now.
biggrin.gif

Sep 16, 2004 at 1:56 AM Post #21 of 29
I bought some flat pads from Todd for the 325's I used to own, and I thought they were by far the best pads. Bottom end was totally under control, comfort was moderate, and it seemed to hold the drivers away from the ears at precisely the right distance for best soundstage. It was well worth my investment.

--Chris

Sep 16, 2004 at 4:56 AM Post #22 of 29
Hey - My MS-2's arrived today!

I had to go out almost immediately, but I left them playing for a quick burn-in. While I was out I bought a few pairs of Senn 414 replacement pads - couldn't believe they were only a few bucks a pair (as they should be).

I also had to get a local pro-audio shop to make up a grado-like downsizing cable so I can connect to iPod/Powerbook etc. It was more expensive than the Grado cable but I could put my hands on it straight away. I asked them to use a right-angle minijack plug to keep the profile down, and reduce the danger of mangling the iPod connection. The other end has a Neutrik locking-connector, so the big plug won't come out on its own.

I rushed home and did the hole-punching mod on the pads - I'm listening to the phones now.

Niiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiice!

Can the Grado flat pads really sound appreciably different?

Hard to believe.

cheers

Sep 16, 2004 at 5:01 AM Post #23 of 29
awesome! i'm glad you are getting instant gratification from them! probably has something to do with the VWAP pads (yep that's what we call senn pads with the hole mod) over the bowls. flat pads are still king imho, but alot of folks like the vwaps too - comfort, sound, all personal preference. so if you love the vwap, dont bother spending anything for the flats - it's time to enjoy your new cans! Welcome to Team Alessandro!

Sep 16, 2004 at 8:02 AM Post #24 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jahn
some folks try squishing their bowls under a dictionary for like a week lol to help it in the comfort area.

genial!
thank you for the hint!
wink.gif

Sep 16, 2004 at 11:32 AM Post #25 of 29
For What It's Worth:

I just had an idea, which I've now implemented.

When I got my new MS-2's earlier today, I also bought some Senn 414 pads to replace the stock bowl pads most everyone has comfort issues with.

I cut a hole in the Senn pads approximately the same size as the hole that already existed in them for wrapping around each driver unit. So the Senn pads looked like yellow versions of the Grado flat pads: a small disc of foam is cut out, revealing the driver unit. As I started listening to the 'vwap' configuration (as Jahn calls it) I started to understand the reasoning behind the original 'bowl' pads - to put a little distance between driver and ear. If you listen with the vwap pads or the Grado flats (I suppose - haven't heard the Grado's) then pull the cans a few millimetres away from each ear, you can get a sense of the different sound stage effects that are possible with these cans.

In the space of a few short mm's, the sound stage opens up, and the effect seems fuller and more 'three dimensional'.

So I thought I would combine the best of both worlds by turning the Senn pads around - the hole already in them (designed to wrap around each driver) would now be next to my ears, the hole I cut would be wrapped around driver unit - the thicker part of the pad is therefore between speaker and ear (like the bowls) while preserving the senn comfort advantage.

Seems to work well. Worth a go anyhoo..

Of course, the MS-2's are brand new and still 'burning in'.

Sep 16, 2004 at 12:06 PM Post #26 of 29
Okay, so let me get this straight.

The Senn 414 pads are more comfortable then the Grado stock bowl pads. But they sound about the same? Is that correct? Because I have no comfort issues at all with the Grado pads. In fact, when I use my 580s, they are ultra-comfortable at first, I admit. A hand in a velvet glove would be a good analogy I guess. But I find sometimes my ears / head get hot after a while -- particularly if I'm sitting on my screened porch in warm weather.

So other than comfort, there's no reason to buy the Senn 414 pads?

Sep 16, 2004 at 1:07 PM Post #27 of 29
Luke,

If you like the stock pads - stick with 'em.

I've only had the Alessandros for a day, but the Senn pads seem more comfortable while retaining the bowl 'perspective', especially since I flipped them over to the 'reverse VWAP' configuration.

My Beyer 880's are very comfortable, but like your 580's do get a little too warm after a while. The Alessandro/Grado pads are supraaural and 'should' allow more cooling air circulation. Not sure so far.

Jul 30, 2005 at 2:57 AM Post #28 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by Puzzle
to put a little distance between driver and ear. If you listen with the vwap pads or the Grado flats (I suppose - haven't heard the Grado's) then pull the cans a few millimetres away from each ear, you can get a sense of the different sound stage effects that are possible with these cans.

In the space of a few short mm's, the sound stage opens up, and the effect seems fuller and more 'three dimensional'.

You can get a sense of this by using the bowls, and pushing them closer to your ears (from the sides, dont have your palm directly behind the the driver opening, it distorts the sound surprisingly, even with a couple inches between your palms and the opening).

So I'm listening to my SR-80's and I just realized something...damn these are bright!!! I am so used to my portaPro's. I just ordered up two pairs of the 414 pad. Gonna try it with and without the hole.

biggrin.gif

Jul 30, 2005 at 2:59 AM Post #29 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by VR6ofpain
So I'm listening to my SR-80's and I just realized something...damn these are bright!!!

I'm listening to them at a louder than usual level to cut out the background noise of my room fan (hot as a motha outside). At lower levels, they are quite nice with my HK HD710 (kinda dark sounding out of the headphone jack).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back