Grado Flat Pads
Sep 15, 2004 at 6:01 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 29

jacdan

100+ Head-Fier
I've just purchased a pair of Grado 225s and am wondering where to get the flat pads that so many on this board speak of. I'm going to stick with the default pads but in case they cause a comfort problem down the road I'd like to have the option of replacing them. Also, are the pads difficult to install? Thanks.

Sep 15, 2004 at 6:03 AM Post #2 of 29
http://www.toddthevinyljunkie.com/pr...uct.php?id=167

you might also be able to snag a pair for a bit cheaper in the FS forums... I think I saw some for sale recently too.

as for installing them, just pull off the current pair (they fit into grooves in the cups and are easy to take off) and twist / push / shove... the new pair on. very easy to do.

Sep 15, 2004 at 6:03 AM Post #3 of 29
Sep 15, 2004 at 1:53 PM Post #4 of 29
Another idea, before you drop the cash on those flat pads: Slip off the stock pads, which are bowl-shaped, and put them on backwards. Believe it or not, they will fit right on there. Somebody suggested this on here a few months ago, and I've found I prefer the sound that way. When installed backwards, the pads become flat, though not as flat as the flat pads, I suspect. Give it a try!

Sep 15, 2004 at 1:59 PM Post #5 of 29
I've been using my Grados with the bowls for a while now. I tried everyother pad just about to determine which I liked better, and in the end the bowl is the best for me. I would recommend just giving them time to 'break in'. Just my 2 cents though.

Boytbpc

Sep 15, 2004 at 2:05 PM Post #6 of 29
everytime I revert my bowlies I like the sound a bit more,
but I always end reverting them again sooner or later

and so on

rs1smile.gif

Sep 15, 2004 at 2:19 PM Post #7 of 29
Jacopo,

Yes, we keep searching for something better, only to find what we had was good already. Contrast is what allows us to experience.

Very profound, I know.

In fact, I only really wanted to say I love your avatar - it's (part of) one of my favourite Cartier-Bresson photographs.

(But my new MS-2's should arrive tomorrow, so no doubt I'll be experimenting with all the different pad alternatives)

Cheers

Sep 15, 2004 at 2:27 PM Post #8 of 29
Puzzle said:
Jacopo,

Yes, we keep searching for something better, only to find what we had was good already. Contrast is what allows us to experience.

Very profound, I know.
yes, very philosophical
wink.gif

Quote:

In fact, I only really wanted to say I love your avatar - it's (part of) one of my favourite Cartier-Bresson photographs.

smily_headphones1.gif
thank you!!!

Quote:

(But my new MS-2's should arrive tomorrow, so no doubt I'll be experimenting with all the different pad alternatives)
Cheers

the only point with MS-2 is that they're a bit heavy, so you'll probably find the comfies a bit uncomfortable

j|!

Sep 15, 2004 at 2:55 PM Post #9 of 29
Jacopo,

you think the comfies will be a little un-comfy because of the MS-2 weight?

Hmmm, since I live just up the road from the local importer of Sennheiser, I was going to buy some replacement pads for the Senn 414's, and use them to kick-off the experiment process - but the Senn pads would be more-or-less equivalent to the comfy Grado pads, I guess.

After reading many posts on the subject here at Head-Fi, I was also toying with the notion of cutting the centre out of the Senn pads, a la Grado flats.

Have I taken leave of my senses? Or is it a possibly rewarding mod?

Or both?

Jahn, if you're there, thanks for your 'my alessandros have arrived!' post, I'm sure it boosted Alessandro's 3rd quarter profit results out of sight. It certainly affected my wallet. Any further thoughts on the SR-71?

Cheers

Sep 15, 2004 at 3:03 PM Post #10 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by Puzzle
Hmmm, since I live just up the road from the local importer of Sennheiser, I was going to buy some replacement pads for the Senn 414's, and use them to kick-off the experiment process - but the Senn pads would be more-or-less equivalent to the comfy Grado pads, I guess.

After reading many posts on the subject here at Head-Fi, I was also toying with the notion of cutting the centre out of the Senn pads, a la Grado flats.

Have I taken leave of my senses? Or is it a possibly rewarding mod?

Definitely cut out the center of the Senn pad, that's what everyone does actually. You haven't lost your senses. I believe people have said to take a 1" to 1.25" socket from a wrench set and place it in the center of the pad and cut around it for the right sized hole. It's been so long since I did mine I forgot.

Incidentally, I actually PREFER the Senn pads to the flat pads myself. Sonically I find them very similar but the flat pads were so flat that the driver units (practically sitting on your ears) hurt my ears big time. The Senn pads allow a little bit of space and much more cushion, and are more comfortable. Again, I find the Senn pads to sound as good as the flats, IMO.

Sep 15, 2004 at 3:06 PM Post #11 of 29
The comfies are stock on the MS-1, and the bowls are stock on the MS-2 - the bowls shouldn't let your ears slip due to the added weight of the Ms-2 over the Ms-1. But sonically neither comfies nor bowls are the pads i'd stay with, but that's just my preference as you know!

And yep I'm really looking forward to all the responses soon from all the new MS-2 owners! As for the SR-71, I've had to use it as both my portable and my home amp for a few days while my Solo has been away, and I rarely have to push it over the 9 o'clock on the dial for the right volume - and you still get all the great detail at that level. And I swear it expanded the soundstage for me, maybe I'm just dreaming...

Anyhow as I mentioned before my friend gave it to me, but auditioned it before, and now is in amp withdrawal. Instead of dropping more cabbage for another SR71 tho, he is going to be a bit patient and hold out for the tricked out Supermono - we'll have a good time with that portable amp shootout for sure!

BTW the SR71 serves very admirably as a home amp. But I'm expecting the Solo to blow it out of the water when it comes back (upgraded to 2004 status plus bigger caps, better resistors, etc), just as it totally embarassed the Cmoy when it was here in its stock MKII state.

Sep 15, 2004 at 4:55 PM Post #12 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by Luke
Another idea, before you drop the cash on those flat pads: Slip off the stock pads, which are bowl-shaped, and put them on backwards. Believe it or not, they will fit right on there. Somebody suggested this on here a few months ago, and I've found I prefer the sound that way. When installed backwards, the pads become flat, though not as flat as the flat pads, I suspect. Give it a try!

Just reversed them . . . sounds great so far!!
biggrin.gif

Sep 15, 2004 at 5:44 PM Post #13 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jubei
Just reversed them . . . sounds great so far!!
biggrin.gif

reverse bowls are a blessing and a curse. they do sound better than normally placed bowls, but they kill the ears comfort wise. some folks try squishing their bowls under a dictionary for like a week lol to help it in the comfort area.

Sep 15, 2004 at 6:58 PM Post #14 of 29
Flats are good with the SR225. Comfies and Senn pads cause excessive bass. Bowls were okay, but not enough bass for my taste. Reversed bowls are not very comfortable. Squished bowls took too much effort for me to maintain because i needed to use a HEAVY weight for like several days, which was good for maybe 1 or 2 days before they were back to normal.. I say just Buy some flats, and be done with it.

Sep 15, 2004 at 7:01 PM Post #15 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jahn
And I swear it expanded the soundstage for me, maybe I'm just dreaming...

BTW the SR71 serves very admirably as a home amp.

No, you're not dreaming. The soundstage and positioning on all cans blend and increase to extremely awesome values. I never knew mid-range bass could be so spaced out before I got my SR-71..
smily_headphones1.gif

And I'm pretty happy to use my SR-71 as my home amp.
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back