Grado flat pads
Sep 3, 2004 at 8:33 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 37

Puddleglum

100+ Head-Fier
Don't get me wrong I love my SR80's, even though I've yet to get the flat pads. The problem I have with them, is that they are fatiguing. Not in the physical fit, but rather the high's the headphone seem to give me a headache after an hour or so. I tried turning the volume down, even though it wasn't too high to begin with, but that did nothing. Will the flat pads help with this?

Sep 3, 2004 at 8:40 AM Post #3 of 37
so,i am also finding some pads could make my sr325 softer.

other way,i believe the pads would be useful.

Sep 3, 2004 at 2:35 PM Post #5 of 37
did you guys not notice how much soundstage you lose by going to flat pads from the donuts?

the sound warms significantly and you lose the punchyness of the mid-bass
may tame some of the detail, but it depends on what you like in your sound

Sep 3, 2004 at 2:58 PM Post #6 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by Puddleglum
Will the flat pads help with this?

Yes. You will love the flats.
biggrin.gif

Sep 3, 2004 at 2:59 PM Post #7 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by r3cc0s
did you guys not notice how much soundstage you lose by going to flat pads from the donuts?

the sound warms significantly and you lose the punchyness of the mid-bass
may tame some of the detail, but it depends on what you like in your sound

yes the sound is so different I still dont know if I like senns, comfies, bowlies or bowlies reversed best...

it's really a very personal matter of comfort and kind of music I'm listening

Sep 3, 2004 at 6:14 PM Post #9 of 37
Comfies on SR60, bowls on everything else.

Sep 3, 2004 at 8:19 PM Post #13 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by blackgrass
What is the difference in the comfies and the flats? Will the flats sound better on the SR60's than the stock comfies?

Most people prefer the comfies on the sr-60s. Bowls and flats on the others. sr-60s are special I guess.

Sep 3, 2004 at 9:06 PM Post #14 of 37
Quote:

Would you recommend Flats for the SR60's?

Nope. Either comfies or the modified Sennheiser 404 (or vwap) pads work well on the 60s.

Sep 3, 2004 at 11:02 PM Post #15 of 37
Quote:

What is the difference in the comfies and the flats?

I bought my 225s used. They came with every type of pad, with the flats installed.

I've enjoyed them immensely with the flats on for a few months, but was having a case of upgraditus that I couldn't afford, so decided to spend a couple of days "pad rolling" instead of lusting after new gear. Here's my initial conclusions:

1st switched to the bowls:
Oh, so this is why some people don't like Grados... Really bright highs, rolled off bass. I can see how this could be considered more detailed, but I couldn't listen for more than about a half hour. On the flip side, I found these to be the most comfortable of the bunch...for me they have that "not touching my ears at all" thing that Sennheisers have going on.

Then tried the vwap pads:
Aaah, that's more like it. Brought the highs down to the pleasant, airy level I was enjoying with the flats, but wait...what's that? The bass is...tighter! The bass on the flats was a little extended and flabby compared to these...these may actually be my favorite of the bunch! Hopefully Vwap hasn't stopped selling them since Todd started selling the Joe Grado flats.

Today, I'm on to the comfies:
Not as comfy as I remember them from my years with the SR-60, and I find the sound a little...underwhelming. It's like they tried to tame the highs of the bowls by putting, well, a piece of foam over the speaker. Could try cutting a hole in them, but I'll probably just switch back to the vwap pads.

Overall, I'm very surprised how much difference pads made to the sound. When comparing specs & features of different models of headphones I've often been disappointed to find there isn't much difference between them...but it turns out you don't have to change much on a headphone to get a noticable change in sound.

One of the joys of being a Grado guy is the best mod you can do costs only $30, while the Sennheiser guys gotta shell out $150-$200 for a new cable!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back