Grado earpads
Dec 20, 2001 at 6:08 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

lextek

Headphoneus Supremus
I accidently ordered the sandpaper donut earpads from Headroom for my grados. The sound is awesome through the Max. Better than then modded camfy pads. I left the HD 600's upstairs (wife sleeping). COMFORT SUCKS. Maybe I can soften them up some how?

BOB
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 20, 2001 at 9:39 AM Post #2 of 6
By donut pads I assume you mean the bowl pads. Grado put out a donut pad without the steep angle toward the transducer that the bowls have.

On the Collected Grado Mods on headwize.com, a suggestion is made to cut about half an inch from the top of these pads away to make them more like the old donut pads. I tried this suggestion because I wanted to tame the brightness of the Grado 225 and increase the bass without collapsing the soundstage as much as the comfy pads do.

On my pads there was a little notch just below the top of the pads that I used as a guide to cut. I used a serrated steak knife and slowly sawed around and around the pad to make sure my cut was uniform. Unfortunately, once you get to the inside of the pad it is very difficult to keep a completely smooth cut, so my cut was a little ragged.

The sonic improvement was perfect to my ears, and it enhanced the comfort of the pads measurably. Try this mod yourself and see.

cajunchrist

Dec 20, 2001 at 11:42 PM Post #4 of 6
Quote:

Originally posted by KR...
I am one of those people who likes the newer bowl pads much better than the old donut ones or the comfy version, my ears are shaped as such that they are comfy to me!

I too like the bowl pad. I've never had any comfort problems.

Dec 21, 2001 at 4:18 AM Post #6 of 6
I too am a baldy. What you do is make a reverse V shaped bend from the very center of the metal headband. Just place your two thumbs under the headband and push up while you bring your hands togetherDon't be scared to give it a good bend, I doubt if it will break.

cajunchrist

Users who are viewing this thread

Back