Grado earpad
Dec 28, 2001 at 7:10 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

vikingnaya

New Head-Fier
I went to SF Stereo and theater system. I can't resist to buy SR225. The vocal sounds so good and bass is just right for me. I am returning my HD495. I have a question though, there are two earpad on headroom, what are their difference?

Dec 28, 2001 at 8:17 PM Post #2 of 6
One is a full pad (covers the diaphragm), the other is a "donut" pad (diaphragm is exposed). The pics are pretty self explanatory. The donut pad is not as comfortable, i just tried them today and couldnt really wear the 'phones at all.

George

Dec 28, 2001 at 11:47 PM Post #3 of 6
The flat pads are nicked named Comfy pads, they cover the whole driver and place your ear closer to the drivers, I don't like the way these sound at all and they muff the sound and make the soundstage too small.

The newer pads are called the bowl pads by us (the donut pads were like the comfy pads but they had a hole in the middle) these bowl pads are thicker and place your ear farer away from the driver opening up the soundstage and increasing the details and making them sound clearer.

I find that these bowl pads are the best sounding out of all three (the donut pads are no longer available, but can be made by yourself using the bowl pads). Some people have found thee pads to be uncomfortable, but I find them to be very comfortable. I guess it all depends on the shape of your ears and head, which is always the case with ALL headphones.

Dec 29, 2001 at 2:16 AM Post #4 of 6
bowl
donut
and
comfy

comfy = sr60's megasized radshack pads

donut = flat but still with diagphram exposed

bowl = looks like a bowl with the diaghpram exposed (apparently created and standardized by grado to sound like sennheiser)

my fav
donut

least fav = bowl, it makes the detail come out too harsh and less warmth than with donut
(also almost makes my ears bleed)

Dec 30, 2001 at 8:21 AM Post #6 of 6
I have all three types of pads and I agree with r3cc0s on all accounts, especially the enhanced detail with the bowls that can make the ears bleed. I can't listen to them for more than 20 minutes without the desire to rip my ears off and/or my RS-1s. Comfies are great for comfort, but lack in detail for sure, and the donuts are the best by far. To benefit from the soft touch of the comfies and the healthy detail of the donuts, I recommend cutting a hole in the center of the comfies. The sound is almost identical to the original donuts.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back