Grado Drivers.
Sep 19, 2015 at 3:55 PM Post #16 of 20

Who said anything about someone being dumb? Relax.

I have the SR325i and SR60i. The difference is minimal. You can't tell if it's the housing material or the drivers. One is plastic. One is not. Changing pads/cups/bowls makes more sonic impact than changing actual headphone (I bought all the different cups & bowls). But I'm fairly confident that if you take the cheapest Grado, the SR60i, and re-house it in something else, like 325 house or some woodies, you'd pretty much end up with a higher level Grado. This isn't to say anything bad against Grado. This is to say the SR60 is simply that good, being the base model. Now, I would expect that their higher end models have a different series of drivers. But I'm pretty settled that the prestige line is the same driver, or at least, the drivers are not that different. That's why I got the SR60 and then SR325 side by side, just to see, if a higher level Grado is worth buying for $295 or whatever, instead of a $80 SR60. Verdict for me: no point in getting any presitge series Grado above the SR60. You'd likely be better off getting the SR60 and with the extra money you didn't spend, have it modded to be housed in wood backs and a new cable. Get a way better headphone for the base cost of the 325 or at least close. Again, the higher end Grados like the RS2 and so on, I would hope have actual different drivers (better ones). But let's just say... I'm not very confident that they're that different.

And my point in the previous post was that we don't know what drivers are where, it's very secretive unlike some other brands when it comes to that.

Very best,

Just tested sr60 , sr80i , sr225 . The differences are minimal .I was gobsmacked how little the difference was. I've got a feeling its the same driver.  If you ask me i'd say get the sr60 or sr60i which is the current model. No point getting anything above - i mean not worth the money IMHO .

Sep 19, 2015 at 4:23 PM Post #17 of 20
The current series is the e series... Not the i series. I've owned the SR80e (now sold) and currently own the PS500e. I've auditioned the 325e. Whether or not the driver itself is physical similar between the SR series models is pretty much irrelevant unless you plan on modding the headphone. Remember that the housing and driver doping will influence sound quite a bit. The sonic signature is different, allthough not with a huge amount. The 325e is much more enjoyable than my 80e was with more bass and slightly less bright, and in my opinion worth the extra $. The PS500e is an entirely different animal with a 44mm driver and is darker than the RS series.

Sep 19, 2015 at 5:23 PM Post #18 of 20
The current series is the e series... Not the i series. I've owned the SR80e (now sold) and currently own the PS500e. I've auditioned the 325e. Whether or not the driver itself is physical similar between the SR series models is pretty much irrelevant unless you plan on modding the headphone. Remember that the housing and driver doping will influence sound quite a bit. The sonic signature is different, allthough not with a huge amount. The 325e is much more enjoyable than my 80e was with more bass and slightly less bright, and in my opinion worth the extra $. The PS500e is an entirely different animal with a 44mm driver and is darker than the RS series.

Oh yeah i forgot about e series ... What's the difference between i and e ? 

Sep 19, 2015 at 6:40 PM Post #19 of 20
  Oh yeah i forgot about e series ... What's the difference between i and e ? 

IFrom what I have heard, and read, most e models have a bit deeper bass, and slightly less treble extension, wich makes the e's sound, a little more forgiving with harsh recordings.

May 28, 2023 at 8:36 PM Post #20 of 20
The PS500e is an entirely different animal with a 44mm driver and is darker than the RS series.
Well, the SR series models also use a 44mm driver so...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back