grado discomfort
Apr 5, 2005 at 8:04 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 41

Pioneer31

100+ Head-Fier
These cans drive me nuts. I was thinking of keeping them to complement my Senns but the comfort factor is doing my head in. The bowls pinch the top of my ears and they itch as well. When I reverse the bowls it isn't muchbetter.

Why do the SR60's have half decent pads and the rest have ridiculous bowls?

Can someone tell me where I can get the Senn pads from (I'm in the UK) and do they really make that much difference to the comfort?

Apr 5, 2005 at 8:35 PM Post #2 of 41
They come with bowls because the headhoncho Grado thinks they are better..

bump, I want to know too (just in case I find them as uncomfortable).

Apr 5, 2005 at 10:16 PM Post #6 of 41
Try modded senn 414 pads. Also stretch the headband, this can help quite a bit.

Apr 5, 2005 at 10:21 PM Post #7 of 41
But where do you get the pads, and how do you mod them? :xf_cool:

Apr 5, 2005 at 10:24 PM Post #8 of 41
I got my modded senn pads from this mall fi. I am not sure if he is still selling though. The senn pads make a big difference, but they won't turn your Grado to a "loosened" Sennheiser, comfort wise.

You can also bend the headband so the Grado just sits on your head (I did this to mine). Another thing, you will also get used to the "bowl itch" if you use it enough. If you only use your Grado once in a while, the itch will come back. I used my SR-225 for a whole month one time and they felt comfortable after the 2nd week even with the bowl pads!

---Pat

Apr 6, 2005 at 4:37 AM Post #9 of 41
bend the head-crusher spring ever so gently outwards. grasp the 2 black plastic bits (not the drivers, the bits that are attached to the curved springy steel) and pull outwards good and far. not too far, you can always bend further later.

i too found the pain of the bowls unacceptable. sadly, i do agree that they do sound better. after a fiew weeks of subjecting myself to the moded 414 pads, i re-visited the bowls. they are far less comfortable than the flats. however after doing this (gently bending) they are almost comfortable. perhaps i need to grow some testicles, and bend it further.

Apr 6, 2005 at 9:41 AM Post #10 of 41
The key to making the grados wearable is getting the perfect bend to the head band and breaking in the foam through use. They will get there.

I am so tactily ensative that I used exclusively my MDR-F1s for a long time becausse no other headphone was comfortable enough to replace them regardless of how much better they sounded.

rob

Apr 6, 2005 at 10:07 AM Post #11 of 41
I really like the MS-1's, with flats, that I've been listening to for the last hour but I'm currently in pain. I had my glasses on for half an hour but had to take them off because they were being pushed into my skin by the headphones. I hope they get more comfy with more use because I really like these headphones.

Apr 6, 2005 at 10:08 AM Post #12 of 41
all grado pads are about the same in comfort, pick the one that gives best sound

headphile cpads are the only option if you want comfy grados

Apr 6, 2005 at 10:09 AM Post #13 of 41
To everyone with glasses/earpinch pain, bend the headphones out alot more. The headband won't break, so be really aggressive with the thing - my MS-2's hang straight down verticlely instead of bending back in when you put your finger under the headband. I can wear them for quite some hours without discomfort.

So go on, bend it right out!

Apr 6, 2005 at 10:17 AM Post #14 of 41
My Grado 225 used to be horribly painful and i pretty much acepted that it was going to be that way but after almost 2 weeks i think im at the point where i can wear them for hours with little discomfort.

Apr 6, 2005 at 10:42 AM Post #15 of 41
I'm new with grado sr225 and i bought them to complement HD600s.
I found that you can open slightly the cans taking them from the place where they put the 'r' and 'l' letters. I you don't move a lot they don't move at all and you'll feel less discomfort.

By they way, in overall terms i like my HD600s more than sr225 but in chamber music or solo music the grados are much more involving. (And they are burning in yet)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back