Grado design could do with some user friendly refinement
Dec 9, 2009 at 7:17 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

aimlink

Headphoneus Supremus
I'm really liking my RS2i and am thinking of getting an RS1i as well. However, after owning two Grado's for several months, I must say that there's one design problem that I'd think they could do something about without altering the overall appearance of the Grados even though I do happen to like how the RS2i and 325is look.
smily_headphones1.gif

The driver housing shouldn't be able to rotate and rotate without some limitation built in. The other day, despite carefully paying attention to preventing excessive additive rotation of the driver on the rod, I noted that the wire coming from one of drivers on my RS2i was clearly twisted. It took about ten turns to unravel it. (Perhaps, my office cleaner picks them up and moves them around while doing her job). The really should build in a mechanism that prevents no more than a 360 degree, or even just a 180 degree rotation. If one stares long and hard at the design, something discreet can be done that retains the design but kills the fault.

Additionally, the connecting rod can become loose in the plastic retainer. Small brackets could be made and added to the phones to lock in adjustments or limit excessive sliding once the rod becomes loose. The SR325's are prone to this because of the heavier aluminium driver housing.

Dec 9, 2009 at 7:23 PM Post #2 of 18
I totally agree,working for a retailler that sells grados, I can say that most of the grados we get in for repairs have failed where 2 the cables splits, because of excessive twisting.

I do not have any problems personnally with this issue, I'm just talking from my professional experience as a salesman.

Dec 9, 2009 at 7:33 PM Post #4 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by baka1969 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Headphile has a solution: http://headphile.com/rodlock.jpg If I had any ability, I'd do this mod myself.

I have my own solution to the loose rod myself:
SR325is-mod.jpg

However, I was just reflecting that it's Grado Inc. that should be improving the design to prevent end users having to mod them for such practical reasons. These aren't mods to improve sound, but mods to just make them more useable.
frown.gif

Dec 9, 2009 at 7:38 PM Post #5 of 18
I wish they would go back to the old design for the SR60 - SR225
graco-sr60.jpg
sr60i.png

I love when the cup is flush with the ring that holds them much more than the new design.

oh well

Dec 9, 2009 at 7:40 PM Post #6 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by aimlink /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have my own solution to the loose rod myself:
SR325is-mod.jpg

However, I was just reflecting that it's Grado Inc. that should be improving the design to prevent end users having to mod them for such practical reasons. These aren't mods to improve sound, but mods to just make them more useable.
frown.gif

I like that! Would you please tell me what it is you used? I'll probably kick myself once you tell me. lol

Dec 9, 2009 at 7:41 PM Post #7 of 18
But that's an acoustic design change there in the new SR60 - more depth to the cup, isn't it? Or is it that they've moved the holding right more to the outer part of the driver cup. The cup of the newer SR60 seems deeper to me or is it just an optical illusion from the images you posted?

Dec 9, 2009 at 7:44 PM Post #8 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by gbacic /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I wish they would go back to the old design for the SR60 - SR225
graco-sr60.jpg
sr60i.png

I love when the cup is flush with the ring that holds them much more than the new design.

oh well

I really like both designs.

Dec 9, 2009 at 10:34 PM Post #9 of 18
Quote:

I like that! Would you please tell me what it is you used? I'll probably kick myself once you tell me. lol

I used shaft collars. The correct size is no longer available there. You need the 1/8" bore.

Dec 9, 2009 at 10:42 PM Post #10 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by aimlink /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I used shaft collars. The correct size is no longer available there. You need the 1/8" bore.

What a shame. I would love those too.

Dec 9, 2009 at 11:39 PM Post #11 of 18
I meant that they aren't available through Amazon. Not that they aren't available at all. You should be able to find them elsewhere.

They seem to be
redface.gif

Dec 10, 2009 at 12:12 AM Post #13 of 18
Quote:

I wouldn't mind sourcing these for other fellow Head-Fi'ers.

Here's a source: Grainger

The width isn't the same as the ones I have, but the internal diameter is right.

Dec 10, 2009 at 12:32 AM Post #15 of 18
At the Omaha Custom Electronics meet, TenZip had some cool custom rod locks that he said he was working with Todd of TTVJ to put on the market. I think he said $20/pair, but don't quote me on that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back