Grado companion phones
Mar 28, 2014 at 9:00 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

zeher

New Head-Fier
Hey all,

I'm looking for a specific set of cans and could use some recommendations. I currently own a pair of Grado RS2is and Audio-Technica ATH-A900xs. I really enjoy the grados for a lot of my music, but for some of what I listen to (vocal-heavy tracks, tracks with a lot of sub-bass), the grados can get a little bit treble-happy or don't offer enough low end to make me happy. This is where the A900xs come in. I'm generally really happy listening to the aforementioned music that isn't optimal for the Grados on these cans and I'm usually a happy camper, but today I realized that I missed the airy sound the Grados supply when I switch to the Audio Technicas, and that the slight veil that the 900xs put over everything bothers me a little. So, I'm looking for suggestions on a pair of cans that have an extended bass response, clear mids, and a smooth treble response that would serve me well for the stuff I can't listen to on the Grados. I'm fine with a slightly rolled off treble if that's what it takes to keep them smooth and non-fatiguing, I just want something that has the same sort of airy sound that the Grados have, if that makes any sense.

For further reference, if there's a pair of full size cans out there that sound like the JVC FXT90 iems (which I also own) but with a smoother treble, then that would be perfect, as the JVCs with reduced treble through EQing are basically my definition of a perfect sound signature.

Thanks!

Mar 28, 2014 at 9:50 PM Post #3 of 6
I highly suggest you to buy Grado flat pads from TTVJ

http://www.ttvjaudio.com/TTVJ_Flat_Pads_p/aat0000100.htm

It boast bass and soften high while really no difference in soundstage changes.

This flat pads are the original Grado pads, and pretty much all Grado headphones are originally designed to be used with this pads, until John decided that nasty current pads are better than flat.

Mar 28, 2014 at 9:56 PM Post #4 of 6

I guess up to ~$200? If I bought another pair I would try to trade or sell my A900x's for ~$110 first.

This flat pads are the original Grado pads, and pretty much all Grado headphones are originally designed to be used with this pads, until John decided that nasty current pads are better than flat.

This is an interesting suggestion, I may try that. I really like the sound of the RS2is with the bowls though, they are pretty much perfect for the music I use them for. I also have the G-Cushions and while I appreciate what they do for the soundstage and such, I don't like them as much as the bowls.

Mar 28, 2014 at 9:58 PM Post #5 of 6

I guess up to ~$200? If I bought another pair I would try to trade or sell my A900x's for ~$110 first.

This is an interesting suggestion, I may try that. I really like the sound of the RS2is with the bowls though, they are pretty much perfect for the music I use them for. I also have the G-Cushions and while I appreciate what they do for the soundstage and such, I don't like them as much as the bowls.

Try it. At worst you only lose like 45 bucks (35+shipping. You might be able to sell back to forum or ebay). It's far better than spend 200 bucks for unfamiliar headphones.

Mar 28, 2014 at 10:32 PM Post #6 of 6
Ugh I just might have to now 
wink.gif
 You've made me curious to see what kind of effect they will have.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back