Grado buttons and Alessandro
May 10, 2002 at 2:30 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

millerdog

1000+ Head-Fier
This test came from another post and I thought I'd start a new thread.
Blighty suggested to put your hands over the grills of the SR60s.
Oh wow. That put me back in Marconi's days.
Then I thought, how much air and blockage makes a difference? It was suggested that the Alessandro's were uh...I think warmer?
All you Team Grado try this:
After cupping my hands and hearing the atrocious sound I tried putting four fingertips around the button.
Harsh highs appeared. Listen to the vocals and highs! Oh My!
I tried my best not to put pressure on the cans themselves but to just block out the grills.
I tried again with three fingertips.
I got the same effect only more subtle. Okay, I am drinking beers as I do this, but I swear I hear the harshness come in. It maybe the proximity of my palms to the cans also.
Now, two fingertips using the thumb and index fingers. Now I must be drunk cause I think I hear a MINUTE difference.
Now I don't have two pairs of SR60s to compare and I don't want to rip the buttons off of the ones I got. I have to wonder how much the buttons make a difference on sound.
First test was Pete Yorn, then I chucked in Rush Grace Under Pressure.
Am I dreaming or can someone else verify this.
just some drunken thoughts,
md

May 10, 2002 at 3:47 AM Post #2 of 4
I think I removed the buttons from my SR80s well over a year ago... many have tried it and said there wasn't really a difference... I didn't think there was much of a difference either, maybe slightly more airiness... changing the pads made a much more significant difference, and you can tweak the sound to certain pads.

May 10, 2002 at 4:36 AM Post #4 of 4
I wasn't drunk when I started. Try my test!
I'll check the archives!
I swear I can hear a definite brightness change with the finger thing!(edit) you got HP-2s...try it and say I'm uh...whatever...okay, the buttons may not make a difference but hey! the volume of air pumping out of these phones do. It may not be apparent on every track, but for me, I DID notice a change.
NOW I'm drunk
md

Users who are viewing this thread

Back