grado 'button' glue removal
Oct 13, 2004 at 10:43 PM Post #3 of 16
I had to take mine apart. There was too much glue under the screens. All it took was a few seconds with a hairdryer to soften the glue holding the plastic driver cells to the metal enclosures and they came apart rather easily.

Oct 14, 2004 at 12:27 AM Post #4 of 16
Don't unless you really have to do it. Resist the urge.

I tried removing the ones from my SR-225, and I couldn't remove all of the glue stuck on the metal screens. I had to put the buttons back on -- now the buttons look like c*ap because I had to twist them off. Another thing that I didn't think about is that this might void the Grado warranty (I know its lame but Grado can always say you messed with the phones).

Ooops, I re-read your post and it appears I am a bit too late.

Oct 14, 2004 at 1:34 AM Post #7 of 16
I used a butane mini-torch. Seriously, I did. I very carefully heated the glue with the mini-torch then rubbed some of it off with my fingers. Repeat a few times until no further glue comes off, then heat the remaining very carefully and brush it off with an old toothbrush. You might need to do this a couple times too. After all that, get another clean toothbrush, dip it in alcohol and clean off everything that's left. Took me over half an hour to do both sides, but now you'll never know it had buttons in the first place.

This procedure of course is not recommended as it carries a high risk of burning the headphones, literally. I void warranties for a living, use at own risk, etc.

Oct 14, 2004 at 2:13 AM Post #8 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by midlife
I've removed the buttons from my sr 325's and I'm wondering if anyone has suggestions for removing the glue from the wire screens?
thanks

lol i just did the same thing. i've been picking at it wondering how to get it off without taking them apart. how does the metal come off with the plastic things holding it there anyway?

Oct 14, 2004 at 3:19 AM Post #10 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by intlplby
i'm in the opposite situation... what is the best glue or other adhesive to reattach the screen without clogging it

There are 2 possible methods I can think of. Use double-sided tape to stick the button to the screen. Or cut a piece of tape to the same size as the button, stick that to the screen, then glue the button to the tape.

Oct 14, 2004 at 5:03 AM Post #12 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by intlplby
i'm referring to the thin guaze screen on the ear side of the driver

First thing that comes to mind is spray adhesive, sprayed on the gauze only. Let set for the directed time and apply. I haven't tried it, but probably would be something I'd try...

May 3, 2005 at 1:09 AM Post #13 of 16
I just pulled my buttons off my 325...and was wondering about using a hairdryer (on low setting) to warm up the glue and make it easier to pull off? Bad idea? Would the heat damage the headphones in any way? I really don't want to remove the cups...but I would like to get these unsightly glue gobs off...

Oct 4, 2009 at 5:28 PM Post #15 of 16
Does removing the buttons help with the sound at all? It seems like it should and would, I mean if you block the sound even slightly with a finger these SR80's I'm listenign to right now just get worse and worse wtih restriction. Seems to me that giving it even more openness would help bring out some of the sound...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back