Grado: Bowls or Flats?
Aug 24, 2008 at 3:19 PM Post #17 of 22
I received my new/used RS-1 not too long ago and they came with bowls. I was happy with their sound and the comfort was not a big issue, they were not as uncomfortable as many people said. However, they had a strange fit – when I was moving my head I was feeling like they are moving as well. To try a different fit I’ve decided to reverse bowl pads and wow, it turned out that it sounds better to my ears. The music was brought closer to my face and that’s the feature I really like. I don’t like my music being too distant. Anyway, about a week ago I received a parcel from TTVJ with a set of flat pads. So now, after tasting all three possibilities (bowls, reversed bowls, flat pads) I find the third solution, flat pads, the best for my tastes. They make my music feel closer, fuller, not bassy but fuller, with a lot of “meet and flesh” if you know what I mean. Some people commented on how flat pads take away detail, I don’t agree with that statement. I could clearly hear more/better with flats, probably because they tend to bring the driver as close to my ear as possible. This may not be true with other genres of music, but if you listen to classic soul (like James Carr, Otis Redding, Otis Clay, etc.) or deep blues you can’t go wrong with flat pads on RS-1. The better the CD itself is recorded, the better it sounds and he music just washes over you with flats. All other pads are too distant for my tastes.

Aug 24, 2008 at 4:45 PM Post #18 of 22
Bowls !
regular_smile .gif

Aug 26, 2008 at 5:35 AM Post #19 of 22
Reversed bowls for the added fullness in the low end. Flats kill the little soundstage my 225's have. I can wear bowls all night, maybe because I have a small head and the 225's are light as a feather. Very comfy IMO.

Aug 26, 2008 at 9:39 AM Post #20 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by Slaughter /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I can wear bowls all night, maybe because I have a small head and the 225's are light as a feather. Very comfy IMO.

I must agree on that, bowls are not that bad as people say, when it comes to comfort. I really think that all those comfort issues with Grados are a bid exaggerated. It is a problem as because of them many people may be afraid to give Grados a try. Now, owning both SR-60 and RS-1 I can say that they are very comfortable and light. Yesterday, I even took my bowls out of the closet and put them on SR-60. With a little rod adjustment I got a perfect fit, “I forgot I was wearing them” type of feel. But sound wise, bowls are a bit too distant for my music tastes.

Nov 29, 2010 at 11:45 PM Post #21 of 22
i have been using flats on my RS1s for at least the past 2-3 years. i just tried a pair with bowls -- wow. unbearably bright and harsh in the highs. flats is the only way to go.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back