Grado Bowls Mod?
Oct 14, 2005 at 6:51 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

Deinel

New Head-Fier
Is it mine only or has anyone notice this. The Grado Bowls is actually made up of 3 layers of foam when you look at it side ways. Namely, it is hard foam on the outside, soft in the middle part and hard again on the inside.

\\----------
ll lll
Outside ll lll
ll lll
ll lll Inside
ll lll
ll lll
ll lll
//---------

Sorry i got no cam to shoot the bowls. The white unshaded part is the middle, which is very soft foams. The outside and inside are the same hard foams with the insides thicker than the outside. These can be seen easily with the different shades of black and felt easily too.

I know theres the method of 'reverse bowls', but what strikes me is if we cut off the hard layer of the insides, and use the 'reverse bowls' method, wont it be softer and driver closer to her ears? It may sound stupid or maybe someone founded it way earlier than me, but hey, we may have 'closer bowls' !
rs1smile.gif

Oct 14, 2005 at 6:59 PM Post #2 of 22
Yes that is the intent.... The hard, sandpaper, earburning stuff contacts the ear. The soft foam is in the middle.

Garrett

Oct 14, 2005 at 7:23 PM Post #4 of 22
I thought about grinding away some of that hard stuff with a dremel... A standard grind-cylinder will take that stuff off in a second.

But didn't bother, I dont find them uncomfortable enough to warrant the effort / mess.

Garrett

Oct 14, 2005 at 7:54 PM Post #5 of 22
Maybe I'm just insensitive (in more ways that one?), but I find far more discomfort with Grado cans as a result of the driver resting on the outermost part of my left ear than I do from the "hard" foam of the bowls. In fact, I find the pads themselves to be relatively comfy, or at least as comfy as hard foam can be, I suppose.

Oct 14, 2005 at 7:58 PM Post #6 of 22
theyre meant to be like that...DO NOT SHAVE THEM DOWN.
the rough outer layer absorbs sound, whilst the middle is more porous-providing you with the brilliant listening experience that is Grado bowls.
They maybe uncomfortable-but thats the trade-off.
Try soaping them in some warm water-or check my post on this very subject which will be up in about ten minutes.

Oct 14, 2005 at 11:25 PM Post #9 of 22
I think the distance from the driver is pretty good with the bowls as is. Any closer and you'll get probably get that muddy flatpads sound. I think the real goal if someone were to do a mod of the bowls is to bring out the bass that reverse bowls have but still keep the pinpoint soundfield of regular bowls.

Oct 14, 2005 at 11:38 PM Post #10 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kram Sacul
I think the real goal if someone were to do a mod of the bowls is to bring out the bass that reverse bowls have but still keep the pinpoint soundfield of regular bowls.

A fair description of the tape mod, IMO. Pretty much ignored for some reason I don't know, which is a shame because this mod works very nicely. And it's very cheap and easy to perfect as well. I saw it mentioned on a review site once too; I'll see if I can find the link.

Oct 14, 2005 at 11:48 PM Post #11 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by zeppelin2
I really couldn't see how soapy water could help soften out the bowls. Actually, after trying it, they seemed more dry and stiff than ever
confused.gif

How does washing clothes soften them? I guess it just wears them a little, you would have a similar effect by just using them for a long time.

If you don't rinse all the soap out they would get kinda harder, or maybe if you have really hard water.

Oct 15, 2005 at 12:45 AM Post #12 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by Deinel
The Grado Bowls is actually made up of 3 layers of foam when you look at it side ways.

The bowls are actually made of 1 type of foam, the visible difference of the surface is due to the surface finishing after/during the moulding process.
tongue.gif

Oct 15, 2005 at 12:50 AM Post #13 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by kwitel
the rough outer layer absorbs sound, whilst the middle is more porous-providing you with the brilliant listening experience that is Grado bowls.

It is in fact the middle porous layer which absorbs sound the most, not the less-porous outer layer.

Oct 15, 2005 at 3:08 AM Post #14 of 22
I have always wondered why don't Grado not improve on it? The whole idea of the Bowl shape is to geve enough room for the waves to bounce about to give added soundstage etc....

1. So if the currently soft portions could be replaced with the hard portion and the top hard portion is replaced with the soft material, then the shape remains and you get good comfort ..(Asuming you wear the cans with the outer ring of the bowl only touching your ears and not showing your earlobes into the Bowl's cavity)

2. Otherwise, why not make the whole thing of that hard sponge. Then add a lining of soft foam to its interior and the outer ring. This will retain the shape and will surely make the pads super comfortable.
smily_headphones1.gif
... Where there is a will, there is a way, but to me there isn't a sign of too much will on grados behalf.

Oct 15, 2005 at 7:19 PM Post #15 of 22
I got my 325i today and i find that reversed bowl sounds better...
probably i am going to buy a Comfy tomolo or try to order FLAT if i can

Users who are viewing this thread

Back