Grado Bowl or Comfy Cushions?
Mar 24, 2012 at 12:57 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

rmouser

Multiple accounts (thunderhead)
I did an experiment with a pair of SR60 and SR60i. They both come with the "Comfy" or S cushion.

Replacing the cushion on the SR60 with an "L" or bowl improved the bass and overall sound.

Replacing the cushion on the SR60i with an "L" or bowl did not improve the sound. The Grado "boom" was gone and the imaging disappeared.

Grado replaced the bowl on the SR680i with the Comfy and it sounds great. Putting the bowl on it had the same effect as the 60i.

Thoughts   and comments?

Mar 24, 2012 at 1:42 PM Post #2 of 4
I believe the general consensus is:

getting the driver closer to your ear  (S-cush / comfies) adds bass, but reduces soundstage & sparkle.

moving the driver further away from the ear (L-cush / bowls) reduces bass, but adds soundstage & sparkle.

I have seen this for myself with SR60, SR80 SR225 & RS1, but never compared using the newer i models.

Mar 24, 2012 at 2:14 PM Post #3 of 4
You'll find many who prefer the sound of the 60i and 80i using the L-cush bowls.  I didn't like the S-Cush Comfies at all, either from a comfort standpoint or from the sound.  

You should try the tape mod on the bowls with the 60i and 80i.  Its non destructive and reversible....just wrap some clear tape around the outside of the bowls to improve bass output.

I very much prefer my custom pads I made, with the sock mod on them.  They reduce harshness in the upper mids and high registers, while retaining clarity.

Mar 24, 2012 at 4:09 PM Post #4 of 4
I think you are right. The i versions have a larger air chamber like the RS1. The 80i now comes with the Comfy, not the L.

I think they chose to go with the signature boomy sound. Plus they can sell lots of L pads.

I will try the cushion mods also.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back