Grado Blasthemy? Kitchen Felting MS2i
Mar 23, 2010 at 9:19 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

EddieE

Headphoneus Supremus
I'm sure Grado purists would spit out their soup on hearing about this mod, and lots of people will try it and say they hate it, but hey, it works for me.
smily_headphones1.gif

I recently bought some MS1000 off a headfier and he included lots of pre-cut circles of J-Cloth (or kitchen fleece in the US I believe). I'm still fiddling around with different amounts of the MS1000 to find my perfect level but had a little revelation with the MS2i. Curious, I stuck a circle behind each of the TTVJ Flats on my MS2i and instantly fell in love. The J-Cloth has the effect of warming up the whole sound, recessing the treble just a little and turns brightness to smootheness.

As a big fan of the HD650 I found the resulting sound to be something of a compromise between the clear-as-a-bell clarity and up-front presentation of Grados and the full-bodied warmth and smoothness of the high-end Senns (of course with Flats you don't get the soundstage). Yes it does reduce the clarity a little, but the level the MS2i presents can be fatiguing and you don't lose any detail, just push it into the background a little and smooth it all out.

Anyone that loves the up-front and exciting presentation of the Grados but gets a bit worn out by the brightness and detail might like this mod. I'd be intested to hear the results if any Magnum owners try it out. While I have found a single layer to be as much as I would want, this is endlessly tunable with the potential for extra layers, hole punching holes in the felt for a lesser effect (which I'm going to try tonight) and so on.

Listening to these I do think if it would be possible to get this sound signature with greater sound-stage I would have my perfect headphones. I may have to find some black dye though as they look ridiculous now...

Mar 23, 2010 at 9:26 AM Post #2 of 5
I'm glad you're liking them even more. I seen people put some kind of cloth material in front of the driver before. I might give it a whirl one day.

Mar 23, 2010 at 4:53 PM Post #4 of 5
Did you try the mod with the stock bowls as well?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back