grado and sony cans
Dec 5, 2008 at 3:29 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

dubversion

New Head-Fier
Looking for headphones, under $150. Gonna use them for listening to music at home on my computer, and for listening to music on my ipod. I've been looking around the site, reading reviews, etc. I think I've narrowed it down to either Grado SR-80s or Sony MDR-7506s. From what I've learned it seems like the grados are gonna put out better sound-which is the biggest thing im looking for in these cans-but I'm a little worried about them not being portable enough, and leaking too much sound. What do you guys recommend, and if not one of these two, what else should I look at?

Dec 6, 2008 at 1:28 AM Post #3 of 7
Sony's are not totally neutral...a bit hyped in the upper mids...but for everyday listening and portability they are pretty good bang for the buck...I enjoyed mine for rock and pop. For classical I wouldn't recommend them. I moved on to AKG's for my studio needs...more neutral for critical mixing.

Dec 6, 2008 at 6:04 AM Post #6 of 7
Listening to 'Heard 'em say' by Kanye West. Plenty of bass with the Sonys...good sound overall...lots of detail. They're bright, but good for hip hop, IMO... a lot of studio folks recommend them over at Gearslutz.com.

Dec 6, 2008 at 8:09 AM Post #7 of 7
I actually like my SR-225's for rap/hiphop, however it is worth pointing out, Grado's have fit issues for some (most?) users

as far as mobile use, I wouldn't suggest Grado's, I tried it for a day with my SR-60's, was a complete nightmare keeping track of them and the cable (which is why I ended up with ECH's), honestly I wouldn't suggest any full-size for mobile, although the Sony's probably take abuse a bit better (at least most Sony headphones I've seen take abuse fairly well, designed for kids and normal users, not head-fi'ers who will baby their gear)

I would suggest the Denon AH-D501k's or the Sony 7506's for your musical preferences, the 7506's are kind of bright and "flat", the 501's have a more prominent top/mid range than most 'phones (esp in this price range), makes them good for pop/poprap/etc, the earcups also rotate, and they're sealed relatively well

as far as a similar sound sig to a Grado, only a Grado sounds like another Grado, and the SR-60's/SR-80's are probably honestly the best bang/buck you'll get sub $100-$150, and if you're debating between the two, safe yourself a bit of dough, get SR-60's

Users who are viewing this thread

Back