Grado and Price Fixing
Sep 23, 2006 at 9:14 PM Post #46 of 220
<edit>

Sep 23, 2006 at 9:27 PM Post #47 of 220
Quote:

Originally Posted by iban
In fact, Grado is not even a 'home business' as you put it.

On the lighter side; I suppose you could classify Grado as a "three story home" business!

With nearly two dozen people!......If you count all of Alessandro as well!! BIG company!!
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 23, 2006 at 9:37 PM Post #48 of 220
<edit>

Sep 23, 2006 at 10:00 PM Post #49 of 220
Quote:

That is a very BIG step you are making; transforming a 'home business' into a multimillion dollar business with the third world factory and all...
Don't compare Grado with Nike and such. In fact, Grado is not even a 'home business' as you put it.

I don't think we, the non-us consumers, want a Grado for 19,99, we would like the same price as stated today in the US, or at least similar, like any other consumer for any other product.

Q: How come other 'home businesses', like RSA to name just one, DO ship worldwide?
A: Because they want to.

Anyway, the rules are set by the Grado company, it is up to the consumer how he/she uses them.

You said it yourself - Know the game.

Sep 23, 2006 at 10:01 PM Post #50 of 220
Quote:

Originally Posted by wush
I don't see why an unwillingness to expand justifies ripping off a sub-set of your customers. I'd have more respect for Grado if they did not sell to Europe at all.

Yes. And allow US distributors to sell worldwide.

Sep 23, 2006 at 10:25 PM Post #52 of 220
Quote:

noted - again
tongue.gif

I realise Grado is not a BIG company, kramer already posted, but I object when someone makes one fact smaller and the other fact bigger than what it is, for his or her convenience...
rolleyes.gif

Oh....I see what you mean! Oops!!
tongue.gif
tongue.gif

I only added the two or three folks at Alessandro to the less than 20 or so Grado emplyees including Johns' sons to come up with a total number for both Grado and Alessandro since I happen to own a couple Alessandros and didn't want to be left out!
frown.gif

biggrin.gif

Sep 24, 2006 at 12:17 AM Post #53 of 220
Quote:

Originally Posted by applebook
Always buy used if possible
rs1smile.gif

That would put Grado out of business if everyone did that (I know not everyone does, duh). Buying used is great, but it's also good to support the company by buying new headphones.

Sep 24, 2006 at 12:38 AM Post #55 of 220
Quote:

Originally Posted by applebook
Generally, I referring to headphones or gear that are several years old and are about to be replaced. Obviously there have to be some initial buyers of new headphones, or else there wouldn't be a used market
wink.gif

But you'll also find that there is A LOT of used Grado gear circulating Head-Fi and other headphone forums in HK and Mainland China, many of them having gone through 2 users already!

Sep 24, 2006 at 1:41 AM Post #56 of 220
As a supporter for American workers, I'll still buy a Grado product even if I'm ripped off with the high price. To me, I consider it a donation to his employees as a charity gift.

Sep 24, 2006 at 1:45 AM Post #57 of 220
Yes the prices suck outside the US but you really only have two options:

1) don't buy them
2) have someone in the US buy and ship them to you

You can complain all you want but unfortunately it's not likely to change anything unless enough people stop buying them.

Sep 24, 2006 at 1:45 AM Post #58 of 220
Haven't we been through all of this already? Why beat a dead horse into a blood(ier) mess, whatever side of the argument you favor?

BTW -- and I'm probably breaking my own advice here -- there's no actionable price-fixing going on. Whether you consider Grado's activities right or wrong, they are definitely not illegal.

Sep 24, 2006 at 1:48 AM Post #59 of 220
Quote:

Originally Posted by tkam
Yes the prices suck outside the US but you really only have two options:

1) don't buy them
2) have someone in the US buy and ship them to you

You can complain all you want but unfortunately it's not likely to change anything unless enough people stop buying them.

That's exactly what I've done in the past. Even with shipping and the potential import tax, the price is still lower than buying them domestically in the UK.

Sep 24, 2006 at 2:53 AM Post #60 of 220
Let's remember to be civil folks....thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back