Grado and Mogami Mini Quad.
Nov 2, 2007 at 6:23 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

3x331m

Headphoneus Supremus
I'm thinking of upgrading the cable of my Grado SR series cans with Mogami Mini Quad, those used for microphones.

Is Mogami Mini Quad an upgrade to Grado stock cable ?

If the MMQ is not better than Grado stock, but change the sound signature, please share your impressions.

Nov 2, 2007 at 9:40 AM Post #2 of 7
i had a recabled k81dj with the mini quad. it tamed the boomy bass and provided more detail. i don't know that it's an upgrade to the grado stock cable, though...

Nov 2, 2007 at 10:16 AM Post #3 of 7
I've recabled a pair of SR-125s with Mogami mini quad, and I absolutely recommend it. In terms of sheer comfort I like the weight it adds to the headphones, but the sound signature is really the big benefit. I've noticed a definitely tightened bass, and a slightly less shrill high end. I've always enjoyed the Grado high end, even on the stock lower models, but the Mogami gives up none of the detail and eschews a lot of the grain (and some of the airiness, for better or worse).

Definitely give it a shot. I think you'll be pleased.

Nov 2, 2007 at 4:28 PM Post #4 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by kugino /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i had a recabled k81dj with the mini quad. it tamed the boomy bass and provided more detail. i don't know that it's an upgrade to the grado stock cable, though...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sherwood /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've recabled a pair of SR-125s with Mogami mini quad, and I absolutely recommend it. In terms of sheer comfort I like the weight it adds to the headphones, but the sound signature is really the big benefit. I've noticed a definitely tightened bass, and a slightly less shrill high end. I've always enjoyed the Grado high end, even on the stock lower models, but the Mogami gives up none of the detail and eschews a lot of the grain (and some of the airiness, for better or worse).

Definitely give it a shot. I think you'll be pleased.

Your info. is very encouraging. I've also read good impressions from others who used MMQ with other phones. It looks like the MMQ is a good upgrade across the board.

I think I'm going to go ahead to recable all of my low-end cans with MMQ.
evil_smiley.gif

Nov 2, 2007 at 5:02 PM Post #5 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by 3x331m /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Your info. is very encouraging. I've also read good impressions from others who used MMQ with other phones. It looks like the MMQ is a good upgrade across the board.

I think I'm going to go ahead to recable all of my low-end cans with MMQ.
evil_smiley.gif

Good choice. I've used it on KSC75's a number of times, and it works great there too. It's easy to work with, and I think it's pretty attractive (for cable). It's also the perfect diameter for Neutrik mini plugs. Things look almost like factory without any heat shrink at the plug end.

It even comes in red, if you're hankering to be different. I usually am.

Nov 2, 2007 at 7:10 PM Post #6 of 7
careful with mogami as the inner wire insulation produces a lot of microphonics. my current project is mogami 2534 starquad to mogami 2792 low microphonic cable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back