Grado afficionado's please advise
Sep 16, 2005 at 2:00 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

Big G

100+ Head-Fier
Hi guys, Im in the Market for a Portable amp to power my Grado Sr80 from a 4g40 gig Ipod via Sik Ram Din.

Listening taste, mostly Metal, Bands Including Meshuggah, Dillinger Escape Plan, Lamb of God, Tool, Isis, Older Metallica, Pantera, Slayer, etc etc.

So I want something that really makes grado's shine, I'm seeking outstanding dynamics, impactfull punchy bass, with good control.

I do have reservations about sssibiliance with this type of music at louder levels, so something that wouldnt overly highlight the tendencies of the grado's upper end. Im looking for that Synergy between these phones and amp.

Price in the reasonable area of up to $200 USD for my first and hopefully only portable.

So far my considerations are
Portaphile V2^2
Sm3 lite (used perhaps)
Aphearead47 variants (aparently nice with grado's)
Go vibe v3
Pa2v2
Z-mu

look forward to hearing your suggestions: preferable non biased ones
icon10.gif

Sep 16, 2005 at 4:30 AM Post #2 of 2
I got sssibilance with my SR-80's when I hooked my gilmore lite up to my $200 panasonic bookshelf cd/radio unit using my shiny new Single Crystal Copper Atlas Questor IC's.

Without the questors I didn't notice near as much sibilance.

Using my new source with the questors and gilmore lite sibilance is non existent with the grados.

The lesson is crappy source + revealing amp/phones = sibilance. The cheapo IC's helped muddify this flaw with my bookshelf CD player.

Anyways, I assume you don't want to trade your ipod in for another source but if you are suffering from sibilance don't blame the phones they are likely just revealing a weakness somewhere in your system.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back