Grado Advice Needed!
Mar 4, 2007 at 8:29 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

2CH

New Head-Fier
Hey all,

I'm new here and looking to purchase a set of Grado cans...

I was recently able to demo the three lowest models in the lineup at a local shop, the SR60, SR80 and SR125, and loved the sound of them. Out of the three I tried I enjoyed the 125's the best, followed by the 60's, then the 80's (they sounded a little bit too bright and maybe even a little harsh for my liking).

However they did not stock any of the higher models (would have to special order them) and I am curious as to how they sound - specifically the 225 and 325i - compared to the 125's? Any help here? Can I expect a little bit of a better bass response and maybe more smoothness in the highs from the higher models, or is it really worth jumping up to a higher level when the 125's sounded pretty decent? Thanks a lot in advance, and any opinions or insight would be greatly appreciated!

Cheers

Mar 4, 2007 at 8:37 AM Post #2 of 12
The SR-225's highs are smoother than the SR-80 & 125. The SR-225 is probably your best bet without completely breaking the bank.

Oh, and sorry about your wallet regardless.
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 4, 2007 at 10:59 AM Post #3 of 12
I'd advice you to get the 325i's and stick with them; once you're into the whole Grado sound thing, it will be where you'll end up eventually...

Also, the 325i's, in my opinion, really do have the best sound quality/price ratio of all the Grado 'phones on the market!

Mar 4, 2007 at 11:24 AM Post #4 of 12
^i agree. i haven't tried much high-end headphones...only a few 500 level sennheisers, akgs, and the new beyer 880's. i will forever be a grado lover! my last pair of 325i's were stolen from my car a few months ago..i really REALLY missed them. i just bought a pair from a head-fier...can't wait.

Mar 4, 2007 at 1:11 PM Post #6 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by 2CH /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hey all,

I'm new here and looking to purchase a set of Grado cans...

I was recently able to demo the three lowest models in the lineup at a local shop, the SR60, SR80 and SR125, and loved the sound of them. Out of the three I tried I enjoyed the 125's the best, followed by the 60's, then the 80's (they sounded a little bit too bright and maybe even a little harsh for my liking).

I am curious as to how they sound - specifically the 225 and 325i - compared to the 125's? Any help here? Can I expect a little bit of a better bass response and maybe more smoothness in the highs from the higher models, or is it really worth jumping up to a higher level when the 125's sounded pretty decent?

Cheers

Sticking with the lower priced Grados for a moment. Perhaps a pair in that price range to look at, considering you were concerned about brightness, would be the Alessandro MS-1s. Alessandros are made by Grado and are another separate line of phones, tuned to be somewhat more neutral and analytical than their Grado brothers. The MS-1 uses the same manufacturing materials as the SR-125, but ships with the SR-60 ear pads. They sell for $99, and that's the price you pay at the Alessandro web-site, which includes free shipping all around the world.

As you go up in price the cans just start sounding better and better, but in stages, with the Grado house sound, or the Alessandro house sound, generally....but not always...being the basis that is carried on throughout the line.

When you get to the SR-325i level it becomes a tough call. I really like my MS2i, and I have friends who have their SR-325i and they are just as passionate about their phones as I am about mine!! Where the SR-325i/MS2i pair shines is that they give you a better sound quality level above the plastic models, but add quite a bit of value by also adding the aluminum housings and a much nicer headband. They are a good value and are often considered a major "sweet spot" in the Grado/Alessandro line-up.

The woodies? Ah, now that's another discussion altogether!!

Mar 4, 2007 at 2:01 PM Post #7 of 12
I have the 80's (have had them for several years). When the box came and I plugged them in, I was disappointed. I set the 400-disc changer on repeat and turned up the volume to a lightly higer than normal listening level and stuck them in a drawer covered by a towell for three days.

When I took them out, it was a whole new ball game. Very nice.

Thus the problem with demos. You never know if what you're listening to is burned in or not.

Mar 4, 2007 at 4:28 PM Post #8 of 12
Thanks for the feedback... I'll definitely check into the Alessandros - I'm in Canada so the prices on the Grados are a little inflated here. It does sound like the 325i/MS2i range are perfect for what I'm looking for though. Keep it coming, I would like to hear more opinions on the 125/325 differences before making a final decision.

And to F107plus5 - I won't even get into the RS/GS series, haha, that's a little outside of my budget.

Mar 4, 2007 at 5:09 PM Post #9 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by 2CH /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks for the feedback... I'll definitely check into the Alessandros - I'm in Canada so the prices on the Grados are a little inflated here. It does sound like the 325i/MS2i range are perfect for what I'm looking for though. Keep it coming, I would like to hear more opinions on the 125/325 differences before making a final decision.

And to F107plus5 - I won't even get into the RS/GS series, haha, that's a little outside of my budget.

I know what you mean about the prices of the woodies being a bit out of budget!! But there IS something about the SR-325i/MS2i pair that may get you to look that way, one day.

Other than just the sound and looks; that is.

The weight of the wood! Or rather the weight of the aluminum.

Some folks, not all by any means; find the weight to be a problem since the aluminum housings do add approximately 100gm more mass. And it can be annoying to some small number of individuals.

I only really notice it when I try to look down at the keyboard when I'm trying to type. They tend to try to follow Newtons instructions and plant themselves amongst the keys. I find that typing and listening to the MS2i isn't such a good idea anyway since I tend to concentrate so much on the music that my typing really suffers!!

I usually listen to either MS-1 or HD600 with CDs while sitting at the computer since they are not quite as engaging and distracting as the MS2i. The HD600s are every bit as good sounding as the MS2i of course, but the 600s presentation is a little more relaxed.

Then again I don't even listen to tunes in the car since the sound system is directly connected to the accelerator.
frown.gif

Anyway, I did something really silly before I bought the MS2i. I had already bought the MS-1s to see if the sound was what I was looking for, so I had them available for my "100 gm of sockets on the height adjusters" weight test.

It worked though; I found I was one of the lucky ones who could handle the weight.

But it is something to think about.

Mar 6, 2007 at 3:42 PM Post #11 of 12
Thanks again for the help - I've ordered a pair of the MS2i's based on what I've read here and on other sites. It sounds like these will fit the bill perfectly! I'll be sure to give an update when I receive them and let you know how they sound.

Cheers

Users who are viewing this thread

Back