Grado Advice needed: GS1000e or GS2000e
Mar 27, 2017 at 9:46 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

Uri Cohen

Formerly known as HyperDuel
Hey gang, Head-Fi has improved with a Recommendations section, I like it!

Anyway, I need some advice and I hope you guys can head me to the right direction.

I been listening to Grado to close to 10+ years.  I listened from the Sr60s thru RS1e.  Currently I'm using a SR225e to my Audio-Gd NFB 15.32 to Laptop and to my DAP the iBasso DX50.  The DAP is going to be replaced with the Fiio X5 3rd Gen, and I want to put more focus on my DAP setup.  If I like the X5 a lot, I was thinking about getting the A5 amp just for a slight sound change (but most likely the built-in amp of the X5 should be more than enough to drive and provide plenty of headroom).  

The reason I am here is that I'm looking longer term for a Grado, and I never had the chance to get a G series Grado.  I'm not interested in the PS1000e due to the weight of the phones (and I found the PS500 to be too heavy for me personally).  I just love the light wood feel of the Grados.  My goal is to use the SR225e outside while the G series Grado is indoors only.  

Some of the things that are important for me:

*  Warm signature without too much brightness on the Highs (a roll off would be ideal).
*  Needs to have notable Low-End but not too muddy. 
*  Better soundstage than my SR225e, but not too wide out. 
*  Midrange is the king.  
*  I still like the Grado sound.  

The music that I listen to a lot is Progressive Rock, 70s/80s electronica, Krautrock, and a lot of random junk.  I am not a bass-head and I am a sucker for good midrange. 

When reviewing both the GS1000e and the GS2000e, I haven't found too much info on how they compare.  I was hoping if I can get some leads if I should aim for the GS1000e or the GS2000e, and if so, why?  If both of these headphones aren't suited for rock, I may not even get it.  

Aug 3, 2018 at 2:44 AM Post #2 of 2
I am an owner of the GS2000e and have owned and sold the the GS1000i, PS1000, RS1i, and PS500. The RS1i has substantial bass is mid forward, has rolled of highs, and is a woody. If you can find one; it would be ideal for your expectations i would say. They are on ear though if that is a big issue.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back