Grado adjusting mechanism getting loose?
Jan 20, 2007 at 11:14 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

jmmtn4aj

Headphoneus Supremus
I noticed that the left cup's adjuster is getting really loose, and while it isn't so loose as to drop when shaked, it still slides up and down pretty tely easier. Does anyone have this problem?

Jan 20, 2007 at 11:29 AM Post #2 of 14
Mine does the same thing. For a while I would put some cello rosin on the metal pieces which would fix it for a few weeks. But now I don't bother. It's really not that big of a deal for me.

Jan 20, 2007 at 11:47 AM Post #3 of 14
you can perform an easy mod yourself by drilling a small hole on the side of the black plastic adjustment rod holder, the one with R and L printed on. see example pic. and then inserting a screw into the drilled hole to "catch" the rod.

img66.jpg

Jan 20, 2007 at 12:43 PM Post #5 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by yrh0413 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
wow, i didn't know we can do that!
smily_headphones1.gif
my SR80 is gonna be 6 months old soon and its still firm.

grado is notorious for their QA. i've had 3 grados in my life, each one demonstrated different yet equally bad quality control. the grado RS-2 i had was the loosest, the sr-80 was the tightest, now the 325i is in between. i think grados truly reach their legendary value after mods. there's lots of awesome things you can do with grado that you can't with other headphones. grados are really mod-friendly
3000smile.gif

Jan 20, 2007 at 1:01 PM Post #6 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ghost Hog /img/forum/go_quote.gif
you can perform an easy mod yourself by drilling a small hole on the side of the black plastic adjustment rod holder, the one with R and L printed on. see example pic. and then inserting a screw into the drilled hole to "catch" the rod.

img66.jpg

Heh, that's pretty awesome
wink.gif

But has anyone opened it up? I'm guessing it works on a basis of rubber-against-metal friction. The only thing that's stopping me from opening it and putting in new rubber is the fear that the pieces won't snap back together =\

Jan 20, 2007 at 2:42 PM Post #7 of 14
I believe Jahn had some success by painting the rod with clear nail varnish ... might be worth a go if you don't want to take a drill to them.

Jan 20, 2007 at 3:12 PM Post #9 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ghost Hog /img/forum/go_quote.gif

img66.jpg

Doesn't headphile put a threaded bushing inside so that the screw (after several uses) doesn't just strip away the plastic around the edge of the drilled hole?

Without this addition, the screw would trash the plastic and strip the hole...especially if you ever slightly over tightened.

Jan 20, 2007 at 3:20 PM Post #10 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by wolfen68 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Doesn't headphile put a threaded bushing inside so that the screw (after several uses) doesn't just strip away the plastic around the edge of the drilled hole?

Without this addition, the screw would trash the plastic and strip the hole...especially if you ever slightly over tightened.

totally...but i had my done myself and i only had to adjust it a few times cuz the size of my head doesn't grow much anymore
biggrin.gif
so now it stays at its position all the time. but good point tho with the threaded bushing, peeps might want to try that too.

Jan 20, 2007 at 3:57 PM Post #11 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by wolfen68 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I believe so, this is good precautionary advice..

Jan 20, 2007 at 4:25 PM Post #12 of 14
I've had my MS-1s for nearly a year now, and even with some pretty rough use by the kids, they are still fine. But my MS2i after about three months I started noticing that the left housing was responding to gravity after a few hours on the hanger. I added a strip of metalized tape to the antenna just above where I normally adjust them, and totally forgot about it till you reminded me about it with this thread.

Nov 7, 2008 at 11:16 PM Post #14 of 14
Just got my SR225s and the left side is incredibly loose. if i hold the headband and walk five feet the thing moves all the way down. While this isn't that big of a deal, it's somewhat annoying.

How well does the clear nail polish work? I don't really want to drill my new cans

Users who are viewing this thread

Back