Grado 80 and Denon D2000 amp suggestions?
Nov 14, 2009 at 5:54 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

rogercor

New Head-Fier
New to this forum and really new to amps and high quality listening.
I have a pair of Grado 80 that I have been listening to my ITouch and Iphone.
Looking for a less than $100 amp that would bring it alive.
I have read this forum for about a week and now I am more confused than ever.
I have looked at the following and don't know what direction to go in.
iBasso T4 (what is the difference between the T4 and T3
Fiio E5

I have a set of Denon D2000 on the way and will be getting an amp for those also. Will the above amps work well with the D2000 also?
Also am I right in thinking that if I go with a ibasso T3 or T4 that the ipod would sound better with a LOD?
Any and all suggestions are appreciated.
Roger

Nov 14, 2009 at 9:55 PM Post #2 of 5
I have the T4, Fiio E5 and D2000.

First, the difference between the T4 and T3 is that the T4 has a bass boost and is a different design than the T3. I haven't heard the T3 but many trusted Head-Fi'ers have told me the T3 (which is the newest in the T series) is an improvement in sound quality over the T4. I think the T4 sound pretty good.

As for the comparison between the E5 and T4. The sound quality of the T4 is much better than the E5. But your paying a lot more for the ibasso T's, than any of the Fiio portable amps.

Nov 15, 2009 at 12:41 AM Post #3 of 5
4Sound,
Thanks for your reply. Since you have the same headphones and the same amps I am reviewing you are the perfect one to ask questions, if you don't mind.
Did you feel the T4 was worth the cost and did it give you the big wow sound?
How do you rate your D2000 for sound?
I listen too mostly old rock, some pop, some simple jazz and insturmental. So I am all over the map.

Any other suggestions I should start reviewing?
Roger

Nov 15, 2009 at 2:49 AM Post #4 of 5
The D2000 are my favorite phones. They have the MarkL mod so they sound a lot better than stock IMO. Soundstage is wider and bass is better controlled. I'll be getting Mark Lawton's custom wood cups next for the D2000 which I hear really change the sound signature in a good way.

You need an amp with some juice to drive the D2000 so the T4 is just ok, not the "wow sound" I think you're looking for. I use the T4 with IEMs out and about on the train/plane and such. T4 is great with the X10. I also have the iBasso P3 Heron. It really gave me the WOW factor with the D2000. The P3 is also modified with the "Topkit" opamps from Hiflight. I can't comment on the other iBasso amps that have come out after the P3 but others have said they just keeps getting better and better with each new amp they come out with. I believe this to be true based on having a D2 Viper also from a year before.

I just got an RSA Shadow and it is a different animal than the iBasso. Shadow for me is super clean and natural. It sounds insanely good with the X10s. I actually still like the P3 with the D2000 better than Shadow with D2000. The Shadow is way over your $100 requirement. Sorry... I've just been excited about how good the Shadow sounds.

I also listen to all kinds of different music as well and the D2000 is very versatile but you need a good amp to go with it to really hear their potential. To be honest, I think its hard to find something under $100 that will give you the wow factor your looking for with the D2000.

To answer your first question. Yes you will want a LOD also with these amps so you bypass the nasty little amp in the iPhone/iTouch.

With all of that said; here's what I think you should really do before you start spending a bunch of $$$. Go to Head-Direct and get a Fiio E1. Its under $30 and has the LOD built into the amp. I just got a couple of them today to give away for Xmas and just tried it out. It sound pretty darn good. This will get your feet wet to give you an idea of sound improvement with an amp. The E1 has some nice upper range extension. The bass quality is ok, not as much as the E5 with the bass boost on but overall the E1 is more transparent. I'm pretty impressed with the E1. For under $30 you can't go wrong.

Let me know what you end up doing.
Ed

Nov 15, 2009 at 3:19 AM Post #5 of 5
4sound,
thanks for a great reply.
I have ordered the Fiio E1 as suggested.
I can go over the $100 so if that is what it takes then I'll start reviewing those items.
I will check out the P3 and since it is below 200 I will consider it and with your suggestion it is on top of the list for now.
Edit update. Ibasso P3 is sold out. Any other suggestions?
Thanks
Roger

Users who are viewing this thread

Back