Grado 8 conductor cable upgrade path
Aug 25, 2013 at 7:05 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

SJWorne

100+ Head-Fier
Hi guys,

Just a quick question regarding a cable upgrade!

I have a Grado SR125i which has an 8 conductor cable (2+, 2- & 4 earth). The wiring is classed as 'standard' by Grado, as opposed to UHPLC or SPC or whatever.

My question is, would recabling this with a simple 4 wire, UP-OCC silver plated copper wire be an upgrade or a downgrade? Or would it be relatively equal?

Obviously I could go with an 8 conductor wire with the silver plated wire which would be a sure upgrade, but that would double the cost and make braiding much more difficult!

Thanks in advance,

Si

Aug 26, 2013 at 2:19 PM Post #2 of 3
It would be relatively equal, and perhaps a downgrade. It could also be an upgrade.
Mostly it will just cost you money. 

If you have a bit of money to put into the problem of better (or maybe just different) stereo sound, I would look at headphones* (like the whole thing) amp and source based on where you think the weakest link in the system is. You don't need to look at cables. Trust me. 

*Nothing seriously wrong with the SR125, but you could buy any number of different things...

Aug 26, 2013 at 6:25 PM Post #3 of 3
It would be relatively equal, and perhaps a downgrade. It could also be an upgrade.

Mostly it will just cost you money. 

If you have a bit of money to put into the problem of better (or maybe just different) stereo sound, I would look at headphones* (like the whole thing) amp and source based on where you think the weakest link in the system is. You don't need to look at cables. Trust me. 

*Nothing seriously wrong with the SR125, but you could buy any number of different things...

Well it's only about £40 worth of cable, and I'm no expert but £40 won't buy me an external amp/DAC or better pair of headphones would it? :p
Plus it's just as much about the fact that these cans are so mod-able! I just want to play around with them to be honest... I may save up the extra money and replace it with an 8 wire cable in SPC wiring :)

I do appreciate where you're coming from though! :)
I'm planning on getting an amp and external DAC for my birthday as I'm currently running off a sound card from my pc.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back