Grado 325i's assembled incorrectly - return?
Nov 23, 2006 at 6:37 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

The Other Allen

100+ Head-Fier
I was just A/Bing my SR225's and my roughly 1 month old SR325i's (both purchased new) while playing Van Halen's "Aint Talkin' Bout Love" when I realized something was not right. If you're not familiar with the song, it starts out with a guitar predominantly in the left ear and then drums/vocals/guitar start in the right ear. Well, in my 225's, the guitar solo starts in my left ear and it's in the right ear on my 325i's! Yes, I looked at the L & R symbols on both headphones to make sure I hadn't put one pair on backwards.
wink.gif
I then tried another pair of headphones and confirmed that the 225's have it right. Would you return the 325is for replacement (TTVJ) or just wear them backwards? I've been vacillating between returning them and had convinced myself to keep them until this -- if they go back I'll either get a refund or go for a pair of RS-2s.

Nov 23, 2006 at 6:46 AM Post #2 of 7
Grados... Van Halen... My kind of thread
rs1smile.gif
rs1smile.gif
rs1smile.gif

Ed should be in the left ear and mike / Al enter in stereo. That IMHO is part of the magic of Eds tone (and Ted Templemans production during those early sessions). Eds solo I believe was layd down in 2 separate tracks one for left and the other for right, with different reverb / modulation effects in each ear.

I was all prepared to tell you a simple fix... till I read your last comment. Just go for the RS2
rs1smile.gif
rs1smile.gif

But seriously, all you have to do is remove the black rubber antenna caps, slide out the metal rods and swap the left and right sides.

Nov 25, 2006 at 4:54 AM Post #6 of 7
My MS2i's were pretty sloppily assembled too. The adjusting rods were glued in crooked, one of them just fell out and wouldn't stay back in and the pivoting peg on one of the hinges that attach to the cup was malformed and kept slipping out. Contacted Alessandro and they said to send them back for a swap. Good customer service and incredible sound more than makeup for the ocassional workmanship flaw for me.
biggrin.gif

Nov 25, 2006 at 5:59 AM Post #7 of 7
Mea culpa. I attribute this thread to it being 1:30 in the morning and not thinking things through due to being tired. It eventually dawned on me a day later that the reason my 325i's had the drivers reversed was because I had been trying out Liberators and had reassembled them incorrectly. So bottom line, Grado did assemble them correctly. And I promise not to start a thread after midnight from now on.
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back