Grado 325i Pics (I was bored)
Mar 19, 2005 at 2:15 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 25

Kwisatz

100+ Head-Fier
In my boredom today I decided to rig up a mount that would allow the digital camera to correctly attach to a tripod that's been laying around the house. After mucking around with that for awhile and finally obtaining a halfway workable solution it was time to test it out... and being inspired by the old 325 pics I saw on the web back a ways, the obvious target became my recently aquired 325i. 1 piece of posterboard and many shots later I was ready to run a few of the resulting pics through Photoshop. The pics were taken in weak winter daylight aided by a fluorescent desk lamp (read: inadequate lighting) with an old 3.3MP Sony DSC-S70 so grain was an issue. I dealt with that as best as I could given the amount of time and effort I was willing to spend on it. Also note that I do not consider myself a photographer/artist/what have you. These are simply the product of bored amatuer.
wink.gif
Boring story aside, enjoy (or not hehe) the pics.
rs1smile.gif

Each image links to a higher resolution version (1024X768).

Over the time that these have been up, there have been a few requests for larger, uncompressed, what-have-you versions of the pictures. I've finally gotten the PC that contained the "source" pictures up and running again, and have been reminded by another request, so I've created a rar of the 5 post-processed images in both forms. The pictures are losslessly compressed as png's and are 2048X1536 each. This results in a rar (after 5% recovery record) of 32.6MB in size, so those without broadband... eh - have fun waiting.
wink.gif
PNG Archive Link

Edit: Fixed broken images because I could

Mar 19, 2005 at 2:44 AM Post #2 of 25
I was confused for a minute. I thought your greyscale pic was that of a silver 325i, but it was the same gold one, just in black and white.

Mar 19, 2005 at 3:29 AM Post #4 of 25
Yeah, there is a color version and a black and white version with a slight bit of sepia filtered in for each shot. As for the pads, those are the much vaunted flats which IMO are needed on the 325is to reduce the brightness factor.

Mar 19, 2005 at 4:00 AM Post #6 of 25
Ooohh, black and white vs color. I hadn't thought of that. Now I've got some play time ahead this weekend. Thanks for the inspiration. As for the posterboard, I'd always been a fan of these guys who have this sort of wavy cloth with irregular elevations as a platform. Something like a subdued blue silkish type material. I think that would really make just about any headphone look extra sweet. Just gotta get to a fabric store to sample the wares. Now what you need to do is take one of the black and whites and make a negative of it with your software. That should make for a nice avatar IMO. Again, thanks!

Mar 19, 2005 at 4:01 AM Post #7 of 25
Excellent pictures. Those are some really amazing-looking phones. Very clean and professional. My SR-80's are quite sloppy and shoppy looking due to the way they machine the plastic I guess, but this is a very well-made phone I can tell. Are the connecting things (the things that hold the cups so they can swing) plastic or metal?

Mar 19, 2005 at 4:04 AM Post #8 of 25
Hmm, isn't the plastic on the Grados from a mold instead of machined? Seriously, I'm curious. Not trying to be a smart butt with this. I just assumed they were from a mold. Seem more cost effective to do it that way....at least to my mind. Sorry. Didn't mean to detract from the thread.

Mar 19, 2005 at 4:36 AM Post #9 of 25
MD1032: The semi-circular ring that holds the cups and allows them to swing is definitely plastic. The only metal objects that are obvious from the outside are the pieces that are anodized gold, the grill that the button is on, and the adjusting rod.

KenW: Yeah, there are a ton of different surfaces that would set off the headphones well for photography. Unfortunately my time was limited as daylight was rapidly leaving, and thus I had to settle for the first suitable surface I could find: posterboard.
tongue.gif
And I really can't even take credit for the black and white idea. The pictures of the old 325's that I made reference to were in black and white, and they were my inspiration to photograph the 325i's in the first place. I can't say mine compare to the old ones on style, but eh... good enough given the limitations hehe. As for the plastic bit, due to the fact that there is a seam that I can see on each one, I would have to assume that the plastic is molded. Oh, and don't worry about detracting from the thread... It's not like my thread had any paricular goal to begin with other than to show the 325i's in all their glory. As such discussion on them and Grado headphones in general can't really be considered detracting.
biggrin.gif

Aug 13, 2005 at 5:11 PM Post #10 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by Silfer
Nice pics! What pads are those?

flat pads.

Aug 13, 2005 at 5:13 PM Post #11 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by ssuh
I was confused for a minute. I thought your greyscale pic was that of a silver 325i, but it was the same gold one, just in black and white.

same here
icon10.gif
and i thought he was rather artistic to position both of them similarly

Aug 13, 2005 at 5:21 PM Post #12 of 25
IMO the SR325i is the nicest looking Grado.. I prefer the look over the HP, RS, PS, and such. The gold just accentuates the Grado look so very very well.

Aug 13, 2005 at 11:43 PM Post #13 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by akwok
IMO the SR325i is the nicest looking Grado.. I prefer the look over the HP, RS, PS, and such. The gold just accentuates the Grado look so very very well.

Same thought akwok, and i also think the corners of the cup suits the whole shape of the headphones and the gold gives it a superb finish

Aug 14, 2005 at 12:47 AM Post #14 of 25
I'd say the 315i are probably my least favourite grado can. i dont like the fat look, i dont like the bevels, i dont like the colour. it just looks pudgey to me

everyone sees the world different, i suppose

Aug 14, 2005 at 1:07 AM Post #15 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by hugz
I'd say the 315i are probably my least favourite grado can. i dont like the fat look, i dont like the bevels, i dont like the colour. it just looks pudgey to me

everyone sees the world different, i suppose

no harm in that. but man, the grey looks really classy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back