Grado 325i Grilles - I Couldn't Help Myself
Aug 20, 2006 at 9:05 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

Spaceage

100+ Head-Fier
Ok, so I could not resist the urge to take those damn buttons off. I knew there was an industrial adhesive under there, but I figured what the hell. Of course, you can't get the adhesive off without taking the black paint off with it (think aquarium sealant, but worse.) As luck would have it, I have a can of gold spray paint in the house:

I seperated the driver from the housing using a hair dryer (damn easy to do), taped the gold housing up to protect it from the paint, sprayed, touched up a bit, done. It doesn't look as pro as the black paint, but it looks pretty darn good (and the blasted buttons are gone!)

Aug 20, 2006 at 1:03 PM Post #3 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by dkjohnso
Those look nice. Did you notice any change in the sound though? I've heard differing opinion about whether the change is anything but cosmetic.

I did it primarily for the cosmetics, but I did consider a possible improvement in sound. The buttons blocking the grille could only serve as a detriment to the sound, but their positioning probably doesn't have much, if any, effect on the sound. I did test at the halfway point and I could not detect a difference between the left and right.

Aug 20, 2006 at 5:58 PM Post #5 of 16
Nice Job... Looks like a gold MS2. Pretty sure the black grilles are just painted over the silver

Aug 20, 2006 at 7:29 PM Post #7 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by F107plus5
Yeah! I thought they looked like MS2i photographed in good old fashioned tungsten light!

Looks great!!

how about carbon filament:

Aug 20, 2006 at 9:26 PM Post #8 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by VR6ofpain
how about carbon filament:

Wel.....if nothing else.....the Grados' "Look" like they come from about the same era.
blink.gif

Aug 21, 2006 at 12:20 AM Post #15 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by Corbet
I'm pretty new to head-fi and I've been noticing: what's the deal with everyone wanting to take the buttons of their Grados?

Listen to a pair of Grados and cover up the grilles with your hands. It makes it sound like the music is being patched through a seashell. Covering the grille with anything is just a bad idea, but the center button probably, "probably", doesn't affect the sound. Removing the button can't hurt the sound and can only help (and I think it just looks better with out it.)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back