Grado 225's or MS1's
Nov 22, 2006 at 7:31 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

TVaudio

100+ Head-Fier
Went and had a listen to some Grado's this morning. Really liked the 60's, the 80's did nothing for me, but the 225's I LOVED!
Now, I do not have the ability to hear the Alessandro's. This is where you all come in. The 225's are like $300 Cdn. How would the MS1's compare?
I am using a Zen MicroPhoto, Cardas interconnect and a GoVibe V5.
My other phones for reference are PX100, EP630 and Fostex T10.

Thanks

Nov 22, 2006 at 8:07 PM Post #2 of 14
Disclaimer - I only got to hear the MS-1 in meet conditions...

For me, there is no comparison. The MS-1 next to the SR255 is a lifeless, thin sounding headphone. It's excellent in many ways - for the price you get incredible detail and clarity. But the SR225 has all of those qualities in a slightly more refined package, PLUS a rich deep bass response.

It's all about personal tastes, of course, but if you liked the SR225 that much, I would doubt the MS1 is going to satisfy totally. Though the price difference is huge. Any chance you could arrange a mini-meet with another member(s) in your area?

[EDIT] If this helps quantify the type of sound I like, I enjoy the SR60 (have and enjoy iGrados, which share the same drivers), and really didn't care for the SR80 either - found them a little boring in comparison.

Nov 22, 2006 at 8:18 PM Post #3 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by TVaudio /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The 225's are like $300 Cdn.

@http://www.ttvj.com/ you can get b-stock 225s for $160US shipped... or if you lurk around the FS forums here for a used pair they'll generally go for $150 shipped.
wink.gif

Nov 22, 2006 at 8:21 PM Post #4 of 14
I doubt that TTVJ or any other authorized Grado dealer would ship to Canada due to their regional restrictions. One of the big bonuses for non-US residents is the fact that Alessandro cans are the same price and shippable worldwide.

I presume that's where some of the attraction to the MS-1 comes from, in reference to our OP.

Nov 22, 2006 at 8:37 PM Post #5 of 14
If you listened to the 225s long enough to know you liked them, that's what I'd recommend. I have some MS-1s and enjoy them...and also have a pair of 225s on the way. If the Grados weren't too bright for you, the MS-1s may sound dull and boring in comparison.

Nov 22, 2006 at 8:47 PM Post #6 of 14
Someone could even sneak in and wonder how a pair of used MS2/MS2i could fit into the mix what with the costs of the Grados north of the border.

....somebody might; but I won't.
blink.gif

Nov 22, 2006 at 8:55 PM Post #7 of 14
GlendaleViper is right. The price of the Alessandro's are appealing because of the way the Grado's are marketed.
I will be in the US in the spring, so I guess I could wait until then, but that really is no fun right NOW.
I did love the sound of the 225's, so I guess that is what I should strive for.

Thanks everyone

Nov 22, 2006 at 9:00 PM Post #8 of 14
You could always pick yourself up a pair of iGrados until you get to the states... they're $70CDN even at Bay Bloor Ripoff and they are excellent little portables (although I hate the earclip design).
very_evil_smiley.gif

Nov 22, 2006 at 9:06 PM Post #9 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by GlendaleViper /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I doubt that TTVJ or any other authorized Grado dealer would ship to Canada due to their regional restrictions.

I ordered a pair of b-stocks from TTVJ recently--they should be here in Toronto any day now.
blink.gif
tongue.gif

Nov 22, 2006 at 9:10 PM Post #10 of 14
Huh...

...perhaps B-stock are exempt from said region lockout? Interesting to consider, then, as I really REALLY want a pair of RS-1s, which retail for about $950 in Canada (Ouch).

TV, I would definitely check out TTVJ then - he's a major forum sponsor. Be sure to link to the site through Head-Fi (at the top of the page).

Nov 23, 2006 at 3:13 AM Post #11 of 14
I checked out TTVJ b stock, but nuthin at the moment. I will keep my eyes open
for used as well.
I thank everyone for their input.

Nov 23, 2006 at 4:04 AM Post #12 of 14
I have listened to both.

If you have the budget, SR225 will be a better choice. Even better if you can get a used one for $150.

Both MS-1 and SR225 appeals to those seeking finesse in contrast to general Grado brightness, which may prove an overkill in highs management. But MS-1 proved to be to more laid backed of the two, almost bland for those familiar with Prestige Series signature (SR60/80/125/325). SR225 is like an MS-1 with richness in the lows, that smooth foam like feeling if you will.

Nov 23, 2006 at 4:11 AM Post #13 of 14
it's been a while since i've last heard both the sr225 and i had recently purchased another pair of ms1, after not having them for approximately one year. back when i had both at once, i remembered the main difference was that the sr225 were very bright. the ms1 at the time seemed better balanced. out of my current set up, i'm not sure which would be better or worse but to satisfy that curiosity, i order a b-stock pair from ttvj today.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back