Grado 225i vs 325is
Feb 23, 2010 at 10:47 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

xoubi

New Head-Fier
Hello, I´m new at this forums.
Soon I will buy a Grado Headphones to listen Heavy Metal and some Rock.
I saw the wood cups in the Grado mods tread, I liked a lot but if I want the cups I will buy the 225.
There is any difference as well the plastic cups and the frecuences? For example, the drivers are the same?
PD: What´s the better expresion for close the message, Regards or Greetings?
Regards and thank you.

Feb 23, 2010 at 11:46 PM Post #2 of 14
There are quite a few threads on these phones already. Just use the search feature and choose one to read.
They're both great phones.

Feb 24, 2010 at 12:22 AM Post #3 of 14
If you're going to add woodies, I'd go with the 225. The wood will change the sound anyway so you might as well go with the less expensive one. Plus why would you waste the beautiful 325is cups?

I am sending my SR-80i to get Rhydon's Magnum Lite upgrade and will likely add woddies to them also.

Feb 24, 2010 at 1:39 AM Post #4 of 14
I owned the SR225i headphones and got a case of upgraditis and moved up to the SR325is.

One of my worst mistakes. I should have stayed with the SR225i headphones.

I found that the SR325is had more impactful bass, but really (and I mean really) shrilly treble with my ears. I have a tube amp and tried a very warm Sovtek tube (that also has rolled off highs). While it helped, I still couldn't listen to them for more than 20 minutes.

In terms of detail, I would say they are both on par with each other. But I much preferred the SR225i 's presentation.

I literally sold them within a month and moved up to the RS1.

Just my 2 cents from my experiences...

Feb 24, 2010 at 1:43 AM Post #5 of 14
How would you compare "bassiness" in the SR-325is vs. the RS-1(x), MH? I seem to recall that the SR-325 had more impactful bass, but I could be mistaken...

Feb 24, 2010 at 1:56 AM Post #6 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by sampson_smith /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How would you compare "bassiness" in the SR-325is vs. the RS-1(x), MH? I seem to recall that the SR-325 had more impactful bass, but I could be mistaken...

From what I remember when I first listened to my (err. your) RS1s right after selling my SR325is, I found the bass impact to be about the same, but the RS1s went deeper with more detail and control.

Feb 24, 2010 at 2:03 AM Post #7 of 14
I think I agree. I bet, at the time, I felt that the SR-325i was one of the bassier Grados I had heard, because I got them right after a pair of very old SR-225's that were on their last legs (e.g. very little bass and detail retrieval). Thanks for the info!

Feb 24, 2010 at 2:03 AM Post #8 of 14
There are two ways to handle that shrill response on the 325i. One is to be a solid amp with bass boost, such as the M^3 or B22. The other is to buy some flats for $35. They really tone down the HF and max out the bass.

Feb 24, 2010 at 2:07 AM Post #9 of 14
True. The bass and treble are well-attenuated, but they are pretty bad for soundstage, though. That's the one major thing that gets me about flats...

Feb 24, 2010 at 5:46 AM Post #10 of 14
OP, I much prefer the SR325is to the SR225i. The SR325is sounds noticeably different to me from the lower phones in the Prestige series. It has more clarity, energy and liveliness and is highly engaging. I do not find the highs shrill. The SR225i is a favorite here at Head-Fi, so that is the answer you will probably get the most, but I would encourage you to listen to both if you can and make up your own mind. Having gone all the way up to the RS1i and trying every headphone other than the SR80i, the ones I kept are the SR60i and the SR325is. Just my own take on this. Others will have different opinions.

Feb 24, 2010 at 2:13 PM Post #11 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by priest /img/forum/go_quote.gif
OP, I much prefer the SR325is to the SR225i. The SR325is sounds noticeably different to me from the lower phones in the Prestige series. It has more clarity, energy and liveliness and is highly engaging. I do not find the highs shrill. The SR225i is a favorite here at Head-Fi, so that is the answer you will probably get the most, but I would encourage you to listen to both if you can and make up your own mind. Having gone all the way up to the RS1i and trying every headphone other than the SR80i, the ones I kept are the SR60i and the SR325is. Just my own take on this. Others will have different opinions.

Exactly...I would really recommend that you listen to both before spending your money!

But, I FWIW, I would rate my SR325is "upgrade" over the SR225i, my worst mistake (audiophile speaking) in 2009. I did quickly rectify it a month later with the RS1.
biggrin.gif
....again FWIW (likely no more than $0.02)

Feb 24, 2010 at 2:55 PM Post #12 of 14
The SR225 is a tried and true model with many followers on here, that's your best bet. IMO the 325 is a unique headphone with a bright signature not all will like.

By the way, in regards to "What's a better way to close my message?", you should use "regards". "Greetings" is the same as "Hello".

Feb 24, 2010 at 3:09 PM Post #14 of 14
^To the OP search threads before posting, there are a gizillion comments here. You could refine your own queries more if you read them.

That being said, the SR225i is more universally likeable, you will like em. With the 325is it's more a gamble - some like the bright presentation and feel it detailed, others feel it shrill, with over emphasis on highs.

The SR225i is plastic and will sit lighter on your head, a good thing for supraaurals, the SR325is may be heavy, and some have had comfort issues with it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back