Grado 225i has less bass than my 80is?
Dec 25, 2012 at 8:26 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

sonicx2218

Head-Fier
I got the grado sr225is today. I really like them, except there's almost no bass on it. When listening side by side, my 80s have more bass unamped. With an amp, the 225is are still behind.

1. Is there a break-in period that will bring the bass out?
2. Is there a specific type of amp that I need for this pair?

Thanks!

Dec 25, 2012 at 9:42 PM Post #4 of 6
No, the 225is came with closed ear cups with no padding in the center..no idea what the specific terms are sorry. 
And the 80is are on ear pads. 

Btw thanks for the reply.

The "cups" on the 225 are called bowls, the 80i have comfies on them (yeah, admittedly I don't memorize that stuff). Try throwing the comfies on the 225s (just take the pads off of both - they're super easy to take off and put back on) and see if that changes the sound the way you want, if not, I'm almost wondering if something isn't the matter with your 225s. :xf_eek:

Dec 26, 2012 at 12:23 AM Post #5 of 6
Thanks. The pad switching did change a bit of the sound. Over time these headphones are getting slightly more bass to me. Honestly after doing so many side by side tests, I think the separation of sound in the 225is is what made me think they have less bass. The 80is have a much more condensed sound and the the bass is sort of everywhere in it, where-as with the 225is, the bass has it's own distinct spot. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back