Grado 225I arrived today
Mar 10, 2014 at 10:25 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

ricksome

500+ Head-Fier
I own several inexpensive ( $10 - $50)  IEM's and Sennheiser Amperior headphones. I am pleased with all that I have but thought that I should add an open back headphone to the mix. I checked out Audio Technica but could not get past the looks of the headband. I checked out some low priced but very well reviewed cheap open backs but could not get past those headbands either. Beyerdynamic was a consideration as was Sennheiser. For some reason that I cannot put a finger on, I chose the Grado's .... and you can comment on their headband >>> LOL !!!

Grado 225i arrived today. As these were ordered over the internet, I did not get to hear them before I purchased them. The vendor has a liberal return policy so I knew I would not get stuck if I did not like them. Most of the reviews are positive about  the sound of this headphone. Some say the sound is too bright in the upper registers. I do not own any vinyl or CD's. I listen to the files off of my computer fed through a Nuforce uDac 2. With this in mind, I was not going into high priced land.

On the first listen, I was checking for the"brightness" in the upper registers. I was able to identify that. For me, it is not a deal breaker as it is not overbearing.Compared to the Senn's these are more accurate. I hear things in the recording that simply are not revealed with the Senn's. I do believe that the Senn's have better construction and they are not being sold and I am not here to "trash" them. Just telling you my take on all of this.

Bottom line: Very pleased with my purchase and would recommend them.

Mar 10, 2014 at 10:51 PM Post #2 of 4
Don't judge them too much right now. Grado's are notorious for needing some serious break-in time. The highs will smooth out a bunch and the bass in particular will really improve, not so much in quantity but a ton in quality.

Mar 11, 2014 at 5:40 AM Post #3 of 4
  Don't judge them too much right now. Grado's are notorious for needing some serious break-in time. The highs will smooth out a bunch and the bass in particular will really improve, not so much in quantity but a ton in quality.

I have read about this also. Thanx for reminding me!!!

Mar 11, 2014 at 5:49 AM Post #4 of 4
Congrats, and they will just sound better and better , the more you listen......great cans.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back