Grado 225 woody project in progress!! now it's finished(more pics)!!!!!
Apr 8, 2009 at 3:53 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

hakjk

100+ Head-Fier
I recently got grado 225 with moon-audio cardas cable from fellow head-fier. I really like the sound, but I did not really satisfied with its appearance especially after I’ve seen my friend’s custom woody from xxxxxx.
I can’t help my self to get woody for my 225 too.
I did my search to transform my 225 with lovely woody look, and I found custom woody are as much or even more expansive than 225 itself.
Well my school has wood shop and they have all kinds of fancy equipments, so I finally decided to make woody myself and here is some pics..
I hope you guys enjoy it.

Apr 8, 2009 at 4:40 PM Post #2 of 17
The woodies are indeed very expensive. You made some very nice ones though. Congratulations!
biggrin.gif

Apr 8, 2009 at 5:54 PM Post #5 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by a1m80t /img/forum/go_quote.gif
They look really sweet. Do you mind giving the dimensions, i'm planning on making one too

I follow the dimensions given by "http://headwize.com/projects/showfile.php?file=grado_prj.htm".
just use inside dimensions and change outside dimension depending on the shape you like.
I hope this helps..

Apr 8, 2009 at 8:50 PM Post #6 of 17
Thanks for all your kind words.
I just finished it and here is some more pics..

Apr 8, 2009 at 9:02 PM Post #7 of 17
I spent way too much on head-fi today. I was excited about your woodies (lol?) and am happy to see them finished. Looking very nice!
biggrin.gif

Apr 8, 2009 at 10:59 PM Post #9 of 17
Hakjk,

Do you notice any real difference in sound? I have a pair of SR-80's the I was thinking about modding just for fun. But I might be more motivated if you felt there was a jump in sound quality.

Also, I assume you did this on a lathe?

Apr 9, 2009 at 4:10 AM Post #10 of 17
I just had 225 for 2 days before I change the housing to woody, so I can’t really say my experience is reliable. However, I believe woody gave more weight to the sound especially the base, and also give little warmth to it. I don’t want you to expect anything dramatic, but I’m pretty sure you will like the sound change.

Apr 9, 2009 at 8:30 AM Post #11 of 17
^ There have been persons who tested different cups and they said there is no change in sound.. The most persons who claim to hear a difference have never tested them blindly.
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 13, 2009 at 5:35 PM Post #13 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by jsr3823 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Since those were, until recently, my cans I am now absolutely confident they've gone to a better home. Great job!

This baby looks and sounds very good..
BTW, I made another woody, and here is the pics.

May 16, 2009 at 12:12 PM Post #14 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by hakjk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I recently got grado 225 with moon-audio cardas cable from fellow head-fier. I really like the sound, but I did not really satisfied with its appearance especially after I’ve seen my friend’s custom woody from xxxxxx.
I can’t help my self to get woody for my 225 too.
I did my search to transform my 225 with lovely woody look, and I found custom woody are as much or even more expansive than 225 itself.
Well my school has wood shop and they have all kinds of fancy equipments, so I finally decided to make woody myself and here is some pics..
I hope you guys enjoy it.

Would those cups fit an SR60i? Did u just make the mushroom-shaped measurements by urself? Headwize don't have measurements for them.

May 16, 2009 at 6:48 PM Post #15 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by hakjk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks for all your kind words.
I just finished it and here is some more pics..

Nice job. I would start with some 600 grit and move on to some pumice and finish them up with some rotten stone.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back