GRADO 225 or 325i, what's the best for me?
Mar 26, 2008 at 3:55 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 33

EnderX

100+ Head-Fier
I'm trying to find out which headphone choice is the best for me. Money is no object in this consideration. I've read extensive reviews on both sets of cans and I still do not know which to choose.

I listen to a lot of rock oriented and harder music and for the non-rock I already have a pair of AKG K701s. I just want a pair to get that "at the concert, front row center" feeling.

I hear the 325is are a little harsher and emphasis the top and bottom end rather than the middle. I have a pair of sr 60s (which I love) but I just need more!

Help me out people hit me with the pros and cons you can throw in opinions using amps too, perhaps some amps cause the 225s or the 325is to sound better than the other.

Mar 26, 2008 at 5:20 AM Post #4 of 33
Get RS1 and tube amp like SinglePower, done.
cool.gif

And if the money arent an issue really, PS1.

Quote:

Originally Posted by EnderX /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm trying to find out which headphone choice is the best for me. Money is no object in this consideration. I've read extensive reviews on both sets of cans and I still do not know which to choose.

I listen to a lot of rock oriented and harder music and for the non-rock I already have a pair of AKG K701s. I just want a pair to get that "at the concert, front row center" feeling.

I hear the 325is are a little harsher and emphasis the top and bottom end rather than the middle. I have a pair of sr 60s (which I love) but I just need more!

Help me out people hit me with the pros and cons you can throw in opinions using amps too, perhaps some amps cause the 225s or the 325is to sound better than the other.

Mar 26, 2008 at 8:48 AM Post #5 of 33
Quote:

I'm trying to find out which headphone choice is the best for me. [size=small]Money is no object in this consideration[/size]. I've read extensive reviews on both sets of cans and I still do not know which to choose.

If money isn't a problem, go for the RS-1. They are a great can - if a bit pricey. If you want an amp for them, a M³ is a great choice. RS-1's are the least critical of the amp driving them of any flagship can going though.

Don't buy SR325i without hearing them for yourself. A lot of people can't take their presentation for a reasonable length session, even though they are interesting for short listens.

Mar 26, 2008 at 10:14 AM Post #6 of 33
The 325i is really good for pop music so may not be rock music. Why not try the mpro, its got cold sound and is good for rock and metal.

Mar 26, 2008 at 2:07 PM Post #7 of 33
I feel that the 325i sound terrible with bowls. The treble is so overpowering. Seriously. If you put flats on them, they sound really really really good, better than the SR225. My main issue with the SR325i is its weight. It is pretty heavy and it doesn't feel that secure, almost as if it could slip off too easily if you moved around because of its added weight.

The SR225 sound amazing with bowls and they're lighter and cheaper too. They're pretty comfortable since they're so light. That's what I went with.
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 26, 2008 at 2:24 PM Post #9 of 33
if you decide to buy the 325i then DO NOT try on RS-1 or even RS-2 or the purchase will appear to be a bit rushed.

Mar 26, 2008 at 2:25 PM Post #10 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by HiWire /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't see why you wouldn't get the RS-1, unless you are using the cans portably.

The pair of RS1 that I tried at a meet didn't impress me much, especially due to its price. It looked amazing, though.

Price no object, I would go with one of those.
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 26, 2008 at 2:27 PM Post #11 of 33
Which amp, can be an issue
cool.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by intoflatlines /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The pair of RS1 that I tried at a meet didn't impress me much, especially due to its price. It looked amazing, though.

Price no object, I would go with one of those.
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 26, 2008 at 2:50 PM Post #12 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by bada bing /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If money isn't a problem, go for the RS-1. They are a great can - if a bit pricey. If you want an amp for them, a M³ is a great choice. RS-1's are the least critical of the amp driving them of any flagship can going though.

Compared to other flagship headphones, this might be accurate, but it's also potentially misleading. I've listened to my RS-1s through amps that have made negligible difference, some which drove them well but with a conflicting signature and a few that made them absolutely sing. In fact, I preferred my RS-1 unamped out of my DAP (iPod, at the time) vs. through my Hornet (M) when I had it.

It is, however, very true that you can get excellent synergy without breaking the bank. When I had the Eddie Current EC/SS I was on cloud 9, despite a few quirks in the overall frequency response.

[EDIT] I should also mention that the headphone can be picky about source, as well.

Mar 27, 2008 at 3:02 AM Post #13 of 33
Well from what I've heard and read I want a more "fun" sounding phone since I already have the AKG K701s. I believe I have settled on the SR 225, can anyone give me suggestions for a great amp to pair with them?

Mar 27, 2008 at 4:26 AM Post #14 of 33
Try GoVibe Petite DAC USB version. Otherwise I wouldnt bother with desktop or some big shot one, cos SR225 do not necessary need it.

Quote:

Well from what I've heard and read I want a more "fun" sounding phone since I already have the AKG K701s. I believe I have settled on the SR 225, can anyone give me suggestions for a great amp to pair with them?

Mar 27, 2008 at 1:47 PM Post #15 of 33
What, no Zana recommendation?
tongue.gif

Seriously though, take a good, hard look at Eddie Current. The EC/SS was designed with the RS-1 in mind and works extremely well with Grados.

Heed Canamp may be a good choice as well, since it also has great synergy with the K701. I can't say I liked the EC/SS all that much with my AKGs (when I had them).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back