Grado 225 and hotusb1 combo - looking for comments
Dec 18, 2008 at 10:13 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

metal_monger

100+ Head-Fier
Hi Guys,

I am debating running with this setup of a Grado 225 paired with a HOTUSB1 amp.

I have often heard that Grado's dont typically need an amp. I have also read the reviews for the HOTUSB1 and they seem quite favorable. I love the Grado sound and am wondering how well these two will pair.

Music type: Metal, Rock, and occasionally some trance.

Thanks for your feedback.

Dec 18, 2008 at 10:36 PM Post #2 of 7
I would just say the 225s are the most incredible phone i have ever heard. I listen to psytrance and rock and i reach for these phones every time.

Dec 18, 2008 at 11:03 PM Post #3 of 7
There's a difference between doesn't need an amp and sounds better amped. I haven't used the SR225, but I have used the HotUSB1. While I can imagine the SR225 + HotUSB1 sounding good, the SR225 + HotAudio's Mark IV USB DAC/amp probably would sound better. It currently sells for ~$112 shipped, and the HotUSB1 currently sells for < $60 shipped. If not restricted by budget, I would go for the more powerful amp.

Dec 19, 2008 at 2:33 PM Post #5 of 7
Grados, especially the SR-225, benefit greatly from the current an outboard amp can provide. They just fill out. Even a cMoy does a pretty good job.

I've been using a Headfive/SR-225 combo for a long time and it hasn't left me wanting yet. Oh, of course I've had the odd fantasy about getting an RS-1 here and there but that's just audiofool nature.

Dec 19, 2008 at 2:48 PM Post #6 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by metal_monger /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi Thank you for the feedback.

You said you would go for the amp higher end amp, what do you think will make it sound better? In other words what gives it that extra kick that is worth paying for more?

I really appreciate the comments.

Thanks.

The Mark IV will amp much better than the HotUSB1. I'm not sure what, if any, difference there is between the DACs used. I suggest contacting Head-Fier "hotaudio40" (Dave) of hotaudio.com if you want to know more.

Dec 19, 2008 at 5:57 PM Post #7 of 7
Thanks 1Time
smily_headphones1.gif

The HOTUSB1 uses the PCM2705 which in itself is amazing and will drive most headphones quite loud with amazing clarity and imaging. It can deliver 12 mWatts into 32 ohms headphones, which depending on the efficiency of your headphones can be quite loud.

BUT... The MARK IV has an added buffer stage, uses the same PCM2705 DAC and can deliver 150 mWatts into 16 ohms headphones.

I added the buffer stage for two reasons:

#1) I wanted to make sure everyone was happy and that no-one said to me "It just doesn't have enough volume."

#2) I wanted to be able to push my Power Amplifier and speakers to the point where they can NOT be pushed any further.

With the MARK IV and a good Power Amplifier, or headphones for that matter, things will move.

I run a moderately powered amplifier and speakers and with the MARK IV the walls vibrate and things fall off the speakers.

As well the bass is extremely clean, deep and controlled.

hotaudio40

Users who are viewing this thread

Back