Grado 125 + iPod
Sep 24, 2003 at 10:14 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

Spaghetti

100+ Head-Fier
I just got my Grado 125s a few days ago. After a 30 hour burn in I have been listening to them with my iPod. I have to say, I am a tad disappointed in the bass. Everything sounds very tinny (spelling?) I planned on buying the new SuperMini from Xin as soon as it was released. So my question is, do I just not have enough power to drive these phones right now?

BTW, no more threads on the Etymotic 4Ps. I am trying to hard to resist the temptation. My Shure E2's are less then a month old...
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 24, 2003 at 10:43 PM Post #2 of 10
Grado SR125 has an impedance of 32 ohms (I think?)... It should be sufficiently powered by the iPod... even then, the super micro amp is going to be a vast improvement in sound quality anyway.

What you may want to try though, rip some of your music into either AIFF or WAV files (uncompressed files), put them on your iPod. Listen to those songs compared to the MP3 version of the same songs... See if it brings out the bass.

MP3 compression takes away a lot of high and low ends from any music...

Sep 25, 2003 at 12:01 AM Post #4 of 10
Quote:

Originally posted by lindrone
MP3 compression takes away a lot of high and low ends from any music...

It can take away highs (due to lowpassing designed to help cut filesize/bitrates -- depends on the encoder and bitrate) but it shouldn't affect bass. MP3 goes right down to 0 Hz/DC (same as uncompressed PCM and redbook CD).

Just tested it, in fact... I created a 30 Hz sine wave (low bass) and encoded it into a 24kbps MP3. Sounds fine, just as head rattling as the original .wav file.

Sep 25, 2003 at 12:16 AM Post #5 of 10
lindrone,
This is very common w/ Ipod. The headphone out of my 10Gig ipod (2nd generation) has very flat sounding, even using bassboost or DSP enhancement. I believe this is the signature sound of Ipod. I have the ETY-4P, and feel that I need more bass!!

Purk

Sep 25, 2003 at 12:31 AM Post #6 of 10
I got a chance to try them through a different source, although nothing good. I did find quite a bit more response, so I am hopefull the amp will help. Also, I am getting a sinus infection which I don't think is helping my sense of hearing. Last but not least, I am not used to something so clear. After listening to mud for so long, it is weird when it is gone.
smily_headphones1.gif
Thanks for the help.

Sep 25, 2003 at 2:42 AM Post #7 of 10
Quote:

Originally posted by purk
lindrone,
This is very common w/ Ipod. The headphone out of my 10Gig ipod (2nd generation) has very flat sounding, even using bassboost or DSP enhancement. I believe this is the signature sound of Ipod. I have the ETY-4P, and feel that I need more bass!!

Purk

I've got a 3rd gen iPod as well.. when you're using uncompressed files (such as AIFF and WAV).. it gets to almost as good of an output as some PCDP's.

I'm using a Sony D-25S as a direct comparison, the sound is almost comparable across these two devices when you're using uncompressed files. Sony D-25S is still a bit better.. but almost indistinguishable by that point.

Jun 8, 2010 at 8:24 AM Post #9 of 10
I think thew sound is pretty good of my grado 125 on my ipod.  Lossless does make a difference.  It might also depend on the type of music.  For classical music, they are a charm.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back