Grado 1/4 to 1/8 adaptor Fault Question
Nov 9, 2005 at 10:40 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Big G

100+ Head-Fier
Hi Guys, ive noticed a fault in my new Grado adaptor, that is if the connector is moved or bumped then the audio can cut out momentarily.
The plug isnt disconnected or unplugged, but audio signal gets affected
It can happen if you move it say in a bag while on the go, not so much of a problem stationary, works fine.

Is this normal in the Grado adaptor, part of its design?

Nov 10, 2005 at 1:59 AM Post #2 of 7
You're pushing the tip away from the spring-steel contact inside the adapter. That contact either doesn't rest far enough in when the adapter is empty or there is too much play in the mount.

Nov 10, 2005 at 2:38 AM Post #3 of 7
Quote:

You're pushing the tip away from the spring-steel contact inside the adapter. That contact either doesn't rest far enough in when the adapter is empty or there is too much play in the mount.

and by exerting that side pressure on a jack that has a movable part with a plug that is solid you risk permanant damage to the jack which would require opening up the device to hopefully restore the contact integrity by bending the deformed part back to where it belongs.

Insert all TS,TRS,Mini TS and Mini TRS plugs straight in if you value your jack contact which must remain springy.RCA plugs you twist as you insert for best contact.

Nov 10, 2005 at 5:14 AM Post #4 of 7
Sorry guys, I must clarify, the adaptor is brand new, received with my HF-1 on Monday...Basically If the Cable gets moved around (ie walking) then any movement is enough to make the audio signal intermittently drop out...the inside of the adaptor must be loose, or not enough tension on the spring steel connection.

Im not Yanking/bending on the damn thing to see if I can make it break..ahah

I am very gentle with my equipment

I actually noticed its fault whilst lying in bed with my amp / Ipod sitting on my chest, as I picked up the ipod/amp to change track the audio dropped out momentarily, freaked me out that there was something wrong with my
HF-1.

Nov 10, 2005 at 5:17 AM Post #5 of 7
if you plug the 1/4 into your receiver or something and have no probs, it's definitely your new adapter - time to swap it for another one!

edit- OR the jack on the ipod itself.

Nov 10, 2005 at 5:19 AM Post #6 of 7
yeah I have definately narrowed it down to the adaptor, no problems with my home amp with 1/4 jack.

As suggested previously I think the little tensioner thingy inside the plug doesnt have enough tension.

Have emailed Todd.

Jun 10, 2006 at 6:21 AM Post #7 of 7
I had one of them go bad as well. There was a internal problem at the stem of the 1/8 mini plug. When you put any bend on it the volume would be reduced. I had the seller replace it and all was well with the new one.

Ken

Campfire Audio Campfire Audio - Nicely Done. Stay updated on Campfire Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.campfireaudio.com/ Support@campfireaudio.com

Users who are viewing this thread

Back