Grad school ideas for a (relatively) low GPA aero eng?
Mar 25, 2007 at 8:50 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

rb67

Headphoneus Supremus
So I really want to do research & development for a company in high speed aerodynamics or air breathing propulsion. My GPA isn't stellar (3.10, U of Michigan) and my GRE's are ok so far (650 verbal, 800 quant, ? analy). I'm not really close with any of my professors as I'm a shy person of average (among my peers) intelligence. I do have a real passion for aircraft, been that way since middle school.

That basically rules out MIT, Caltech, UoM, Purdue aero, which is quite disappointing. Shoulda studied a bit more but that's another story...

Anyways, what are some schools I should take into consideration that might be more receptive to a person like me? I would prefer to stay out west. Currently I plan on applying to UCLA, UCI, ASU, and a few more.

I really appreciate any input in regards to grad school.
I will be graduating Dec 2007.
Thank you very much in advance.

Mar 25, 2007 at 7:10 PM Post #2 of 14
What is your upper division or technical GPA? If it's stellar then you should apply to the top-tier schools. I frankly don't think graduate school is worth it unless you apply to the best. It is a big dedication for the next few years and you don't want something mediocre.

It is pretty hard to get into a top school with a 3.1 and GRE's never help, only hurt, your application. Did you do any research as an undergraduate? Those will help with your letters of recommendation. Did you do any aircraft internships, or remarkable aircraft-related projects?

Here's a story for you. There was this UC Berkeley civil eng. undergradate who had a 2.8 GPA; however, he had a fascination in oil rigs. So he did superbly well in classes that pertained to them, did research on them, and even got an internship on one of them. This was back in the 90's where for civil engineering graduate school you had to (Berkeley in particular) have a 4.0 GPA or they wouldn't accept you. So we worked his whole application around oil rigs and what do you know, a miracle happened and he was accepted. So the moral of the story is, work hard towards your passion and note that its more about your fit with the school than anything else.

Also, did you try applying to companies? I know Boeing is hiring right now, and Lockheed is in the Bay Area, a great location.

Edit: If I were you, I'd apply for a job then go back to grad school when grades don't matter as much.

Mar 25, 2007 at 7:22 PM Post #3 of 14
You'd likely have greater success and more fun applying for positions in the smaller, newer aircraft builders. Try the ones focusing on very-light-jets, as that sector, along with air taxis, is set to expand rapidly very soon. Small companies will be easier to get into because they often place as much or more importance in passion than plain qualifications, though of course they wouldn't just hire any idiot off the street.

I like aircraft too by the way, and am studying aeronautical engineering too, albeit at the diploma level. I have no intentions of studying it at degree level though, since my interest is more in flying aircraft, not designing them.

Mar 25, 2007 at 7:29 PM Post #4 of 14
The problem is that GRE scores don't matter very much for graduate school, with most of the impetus for selection shifted to grades.

I would keep your options open and apply to a wide variety of schools.

-Matt

Mar 25, 2007 at 7:37 PM Post #6 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by daba /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Edit: If I were you, I'd apply for a job then go back to grad school when grades don't matter as much.

I aggree with daba on this. Even though I was not an engineering student, I still know what it's like to go to grad school. I was lucky enough during undergrad to figure out what I really wanted to do....so I took all the prereqs, got a noteworthy internship, and focused on parts of the GRE that I knew mattered. With my really tiny specialty of medical illustration, it would be make or break if I didn't get into the top programs in it (a whoping 2 in the country)
biggrin.gif

Competitive grad schools aren't looking for good grades particularly. Some will even make exceptions for their minimum GPA requirements, if you've excelled in other areas (my schools wanted 3.5s). It might boil down to that if they have some great candidates. But they're more looking at students who have proven that they're motivated to want to go into this area of study. Also, during the interviewing process, they look to see if your personality is a good fit for their program.

I think the majority of folks are better served in taking a year or two off between undergrad and grad school. Grovel for a job or internship that doesn't pay much but gives you great exposure to what you think you want to do after the degree. Real life experience will reflect more highly then getting outstanding grades in school. The best part about life is that you have time to evaluate and accomplish what you want to do.

Mar 25, 2007 at 8:24 PM Post #7 of 14
what is your major gpa? Have looked at georgia tech?

Mar 25, 2007 at 9:10 PM Post #8 of 14
First of all, thank you all very much for your responses. You all have been much more helpful than my adviser..

My major GPA is 3.11, overall is 3.07.

Working after my bachelors certainly isn't out of consideration. I have had one co-op with GE Gas Turbines and will be doing another internship with them this summer. I really would like to get into aircraft engines, but at this point I think I'll have to settle with power generation gas turbines (not that that is a bad thing).

One question: say I were to apply to some grad schools and then get rejected. If I come back after 1-2 years of working will the previous application have a negative impact on my acceptance possibilities? Would I be better off skipping the whole application process right after I graduate and wait until I get some work experience? Or does it not matter if I try to apply and then come back again?

Mar 25, 2007 at 11:26 PM Post #9 of 14
To answer your first question: No, it won't affect your chances.

With a 3.11 your chances are pretty low. Unless you have something that really makes you stand out, then I would skip the application process all together and apply for a job.

Mar 26, 2007 at 12:11 AM Post #10 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by Musiq /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Look into Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University

http://www.erau.edu

x2

I did my bachelors there, although not engineering. If you're really into aircraft and aerospace in general, it's a pretty good school to go to. Although they have been getting rather expensive of late. Their engineering program is really good, and we have a lot of big name aerospace companies come out during the career expo; a friend of mine in the program got hired by Lockheed, and another is with NASA now, not sure which division.

Although, if I were you, yeah I would try to get into the bigger state schools first, but if you want to start Grad school right away, Embry might be worth looking into.

Mar 26, 2007 at 12:17 AM Post #11 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by brn80 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Although, if I were you, yeah I would try to get into the bigger state schools first, but if you want to start Grad school right away, Embry might be worth looking into.

I'm going to the University of Michigan right now, majoring in Aerospace Engineering. I have 1 semester after this one left. Sorry, I should have been more clear in my initial post, as now I realize it could seem that I'm just out of high school.

Anyways, are the GPA standards for a Master's Degree at Embry Riddle pretty stringent? I would like to do research with high speed aerodynamics or propulsion.

Mar 26, 2007 at 12:48 AM Post #12 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by rb67 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So I really want to do research & development for a company in high speed aerodynamics or air breathing propulsion. My GPA isn't stellar (3.10, U of Michigan) and my GRE's are ok so far (650 verbal, 800 quant, ? analy). I'm not really close with any of my professors as I'm a shy person of average (among my peers) intelligence. I do have a real passion for aircraft, been that way since middle school.

That basically rules out MIT, Caltech, UoM, Purdue aero, which is quite disappointing. Shoulda studied a bit more but that's another story...

Anyways, what are some schools I should take into consideration that might be more receptive to a person like me? I would prefer to stay out west. Currently I plan on applying to UCLA, UCI, ASU, and a few more.

I really appreciate any input in regards to grad school.
I will be graduating Dec 2007.
Thank you very much in advance.

3.07 general and 3.11 major is just ok by mich standards. I think if you can get a job at GE you should just take it. I remember trying to get in JPL a few years back, the person I know whom they hired out of mich had a 3.7x GPA with BSEE.

I don't think you will be graduating with honors with those scores so that may not be good for your immediate grad application. If I were you I get some real working experience which is always a plus when you apply for grad school; you may even want to think about other areas of study. eg business and law.

Mar 26, 2007 at 12:57 AM Post #13 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by rb67 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm going to the University of Michigan right now, majoring in Aerospace Engineering. I have 1 semester after this one left. Sorry, I should have been more clear in my initial post, as now I realize it could seem that I'm just out of high school.

Anyways, are the GPA standards for a Master's Degree at Embry Riddle pretty stringent? I would like to do research with high speed aerodynamics or propulsion.

Yeah, I meant as in, if you want to get into grad school right after you're done with your undergrad; as opposed to working for a while. But as others have suggested, it might be worthwhile to work for a little bit after you're done. I believe a little bit of real world experience, even though it may not reward you too well, goes a long way in prepping you up in the long run. Moreover it gives you more time to reflect on where you want to do for sure.

AFAIK, the requirements are not as stringent as let's say Purdue, since they are accredited at the regional level vs. national.

Mar 26, 2007 at 2:19 AM Post #14 of 14
actually before you cut your self short. I would talk to someone in the department they will give you a lot more insight into how the schools handle everything.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back