Grace m9xx vs ifi micro idsd vs schiit jotunheim vs smsl panda stack
Dec 26, 2016 at 7:28 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

matan124

New Head-Fier
Hey, I'm looking for amp/dac around 500$ and from what I read I narrowed it down to these 4 (unless I missed something):
Grace design m9xx
Ifi micro
Schiit jotunheim
Smsl panda stack
Chord mojo

Also can chord mojo be used while charging? The only reason I didn't buy it is because I'm afraid it won't be suitable for long time listening and I would have to unplug it to charge all the time. Anyone knows?

I got the oppo pm3 and the audioquest nighthawk and will have the noble x and some more in the future.
Which amp/dac have the best quality between these?
I want it to be able to drive sensitive iems as well.
I will use it with my laptop and it would be an advantage if any of these can make my nighthawk's bass even deeper.
Small size is an advantage as well.

Thx

Dec 27, 2016 at 10:07 AM Post #3 of 10
I read that the ud 501 doesn't work well with windows so i won't get it.

Can anyone help please? From what i understood mojo sounds the best but I don't know if I can use it while charging or if it's suitable for desktop

Dec 27, 2016 at 11:25 PM Post #4 of 10
IMO...Since you're not looking for portables might as well cross off the Mojo, even if people do use it in desktop set-ups without issue. Since size is still an advantage, cross off the Panda Stack and possibly the Jotunheim. And if you aren't going to take advantage of the Jot's balanced headphone out, might as well dump it. It also seems to have a need to be powered on for a few hours before running optimally; personally I don't like that since I always shut off my devices when not in use. That leaves the m9XX and the iFi micro iDSD. I haven't heard the iDSD but it's probably a toss-up between the two (there's a new Black Label version too). Both can handle IEMs to full-sized headphones, are well-sized, and are desktop-focused but able to be transported with relative ease. I own the m9XX and I can tell you it drives the NightHawk like a dream; not sure how much more "depth" in bass you'd want. I've also read several times that the m9XX and Mojo sound very similar. Where the pros of the IFi micro are that it can run off battery and can swing more max power (which you'll likely never need unless you want to go deaf), the m9XX's UI and ease of use are a joy. I'd say pick whichever of the two is cheaper.

Dec 29, 2016 at 7:42 AM Post #5 of 10
IMO...Since you're not looking for portables might as well cross off the Mojo, even if people do use it in desktop set-ups without issue. Since size is still an advantage, cross off the Panda Stack and possibly the Jotunheim. And if you aren't going to take advantage of the Jot's balanced headphone out, might as well dump it. It also seems to have a need to be powered on for a few hours before running optimally; personally I don't like that since I always shut off my devices when not in use. That leaves the m9XX and the iFi micro iDSD. I haven't heard the iDSD but it's probably a toss-up between the two (there's a new Black Label version too). Both can handle IEMs to full-sized headphones, are well-sized, and are desktop-focused but able to be transported with relative ease. I own the m9XX and I can tell you it drives the NightHawk like a dream; not sure how much more "depth" in bass you'd want. I've also read several times that the m9XX and Mojo sound very similar. Where the pros of the IFi micro are that it can run off battery and can swing more max power (which you'll likely never need unless you want to go deaf), the m9XX's UI and ease of use are a joy. I'd say pick whichever of the two is cheaper.

At the start I didn't even consider the mojo since it run with battery and it an issue for a desktop setup but people keep saying it the best at this price range without a doubt. Can it run while charging or plugged?
Anyway I don't think it would be a problem to get a balanced cable but I read that the others have a better dac then the jotunheim. Is good dac better then balanced cable?
Thank a lot :)

Dec 29, 2016 at 3:49 PM Post #6 of 10
No problem :) The popularity of the Mojo on this site might be enough to make you think "it's the best at this price range without a doubt." Just keep in mind that that's not necessarily true and there could be sampling bias at work. Pick what's best for your needs. As for your charging-related questions, you'd likely be better served asking in the main Mojo thread. There's even this seemingly useful Mojo FAQ that appears to answer your question.

I might not exactly understand your second question but I'd say prioritize a good DAC since it will always benefit whatever amp section it's paired with, balanced or non-balanced/single-ended. If you're asking balanced vs single-ended/non-balanced in home headphone usage, I've found that a well-built, single-ended amp can match and even surpass its balanced counterpart. At the end of the day, it would likely come down to engineering prowess and material choices. I also think balanced was originally intended to be used over much longer & busier cabling distances where its benefits would be more noticeable (ex. studios, etc).

Jan 1, 2017 at 11:33 AM Post #7 of 10

Hey, it's funny, I'm cross-shopping the Mx99 and the iDSD.

I like they're both transportable.

I'm going to be driving Alpha Primes and the ZMF Ori (and other ZMF and MrSpeakers headphones) - all fairly difficult to drive

Any advice is appreciated!

Jan 1, 2017 at 2:52 PM Post #9 of 10
Hey, it's funny, I'm cross-shopping the Mx99 and the iDSD.

I like they're both transportable.

I'm going to be driving Alpha Primes and the ZMF Ori (and other ZMF and MrSpeakers headphones) - all fairly difficult to drive

Any advice is appreciated!

Hey! Remember, I've personally never heard the iDSD...not yet at least. Here's my experience though: it's also funny, the only headphones I've tried on the m9XX that left a lackluster impression on me were the ZMF Blackwood. They sounded dull on the m9XX until I plugged them into a Valh2/Bimby stack, when they seemed to wake up. This was almost a year ago at a meet. So it's possible I would come to a different conclusion today, since our ability to assess these things continues to "evolve/change" the longer we're in this hobby. The m9XX amp section can easily drive the vast majority of headphones without issue. That said, it just didn't seem to be a great pairing for the Blackwood which leads me to think that would similar for other T50RP mods like the Ori and the Primes. As much as I love the m9XX, I'm initially inclined to lean toward the iDSD as a potentially better pairing for those particular headphones. Happy 2017!!!

Jan 2, 2017 at 7:13 PM Post #10 of 10
Agree the M9xx doesn't have the kick that the idsd will provide to the planars. I personally preferred the sound of the M9xx to the idsd BL when I had the ifi as a loaner. But that was just my preference.
Both are built very well and easily transported.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back