Grace m903 via USB detects ALAC rips played with iTunes as 96htz - why
Jul 28, 2013 at 8:14 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

roman r

New Head-Fier
Can anyone help as per the above title.

I have this as an issue as when listening to the same rip via optical lead from iBasso DX100 to Grace m903 or via the original CD via Coaxal into Grace m903 the latter two sound snappier and to my ears better.

I've read in the past that upconversion, in general, usually makes the sound smoother but possibly at the expense of PRaT and that is also my experience here.

I can't find a settng on the Grace for up conversion to be added or removed.

Note, I'm using Windows Vista SR2 and I didn't install any specific drivers as it's meant to be plug and play with the Grace for up to 24/96 recordings

Jul 30, 2013 at 7:51 AM Post #3 of 10
Most likely this has nothing to do with the m903's side.. try this:

right click on sound icon > playback devices > m903 > properties > advanced > default format

I think you will see 24/96 set as default format there.

I'd suggest to avoid Itunes in windows if you're serious about sound quality...

Aug 1, 2013 at 4:43 AM Post #4 of 10
Worked a treat so thanks for that.

Sounded damned good last night just with 320mb AAC rips using Sennheiser HD650

I hear you about iTunes but specifically why?

Do you have an iPhone and if so how do you use it for music without using iTunes?

Aug 1, 2013 at 10:44 AM Post #5 of 10
For example, you won't be having this problem at the first place if you were using bitperfect output method like WASAPI or ASIO which are available on other players like foobar, ulilith, jriver, etc.

Nope, don't have any idevice now. Had a first gen ipod shuffle before and thats my first and probably last product from apple...

Aug 2, 2013 at 1:02 PM Post #6 of 10
Point taken but a small price surely when you get so much user-freindly access to music with iDevices.

I struggle to sleep at night so lie in bed listening to music with Grace and Sennheiser HD650 and use my iPhone to control my Laptop - perfection.

Also have an Arcam rCube in kitchen and using Kleer Technology have instant access to music from phone - no need even for laptop in that scenario.

I was a late adopter but now really appreciate the slickness of Apple product functionality

Aug 2, 2013 at 1:02 PM Post #7 of 10
Point taken but a small price surely when you get so much user-freindly access to music with iDevices.

I struggle to sleep at night so lie in bed listening to music with Grace and Sennheiser HD650 and use my iPhone to control my Laptop - perfection.

Also have an Arcam rCube in kitchen and using Kleer Technology have instant access to music from phone - no need even for laptop in that scenario.

I was a late adopter but now really appreciate the slickness of Apple product functionality

Jan 12, 2014 at 7:34 AM Post #9 of 10
beautifully built.

Pros:

Smoother sound than usual solid state amps like Graham Slee's for example.

Loads of connections so very flexible.

Goes really well with my Grado RS1 and although early days seems very good with Denon D7100.

Fantastic support from Grace

Cons:

The volume went up by itself the other day so software not totally perfect however that's just once in probably 150 hours of play.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back