Grace m902 Initial Impressions
Jan 18, 2005 at 8:47 AM Post #47 of 74
Quote:

Originally Posted by Edwood
I am running Foobar with APE files. 44.1 and SLock light up for me.

But if I run say, Windows Media Player movie, 48 lights up.

This is caused by Kmixer, which resamples everything to 48kHz in many situations. It's one of the major reasons to use Foobar, or another music player capable of ASIO or Kernel Streaming, rather than Windows Media Player.

Jan 18, 2005 at 9:33 AM Post #48 of 74
Quote:

Originally Posted by Wodgy
This is caused by Kmixer, which resamples everything to 48kHz in many situations. It's one of the major reasons to use Foobar, or another music player capable of ASIO or Kernel Streaming, rather than Windows Media Player.

That's why I love Foobar.
smily_headphones1.gif

-Ed

Jan 18, 2005 at 9:47 AM Post #49 of 74
Can Wave Out bypass kmixer or can only kernel streaming and ASIO do it? When I use kernel streaming I sometimes get tiny pops in the sound, kind of like you'd get with vinyl. I believe I don't hear any pops if I use Direct Sound, but then I'm not bypassing Kmixer.

Jan 18, 2005 at 11:40 AM Post #50 of 74
No, WaveOut does not generally bypass Kmixer on Win2k/XP. There are a few soundcards with old style VxD-wrapped drivers that always bypass kMixer, even with WaveOut, but these are in the minority. If you want to bypass kMixer you need to use ASIO or kernel streaming. If you're getting pops with kernel streaming, use ASIO and increase the buffer size.

Jan 18, 2005 at 4:30 PM Post #51 of 74
Quote:

But if I run say, Windows Media Player movie, 48 lights up.

Weird. If you're using RME they should be bitperfect in everything.

Jan 18, 2005 at 4:42 PM Post #52 of 74
Quote:

Originally Posted by Wodgy
No, WaveOut does not generally bypass Kmixer on Win2k/XP. There are a few soundcards with old style VxD-wrapped drivers that always bypass kMixer, even with WaveOut, but these are in the minority. If you want to bypass kMixer you need to use ASIO or kernel streaming. If you're getting pops with kernel streaming, use ASIO and increase the buffer size.

Ah, but AFAIK the Sonica only supports Kernel Streaming, not ASIO. Maybe I need to get a Transit... thanks.

Jan 18, 2005 at 7:02 PM Post #53 of 74
This whole USB-m902 thing is really more complicated than it should be. Too bad the Grace couldn't come with software (PC/Mac compatible -- some kind of iTunes/Foobar hybrid) that would automatically put out 48-bit perfect audio. I realize there are limitations on USB and associated hardware and there is interference from the Windows/Mac OS, but wouldn't it be nice if as soon as you plugged in the USB cable, the Graceeasy(TM) software popped up and played bit-perfect music? Plus, the remote that controls the Grace m902 could also control the software!

600smile.gif
If not now, maybe for the Grace m903?

Jan 18, 2005 at 10:26 PM Post #55 of 74
Quote:

No, this is for the USB input. There are no windows sounds coming from the RME, of course.
wink.gif

ah ok. thought you were using windows media player
tongue.gif

have you compared usb and the other digital inputs?

Jan 18, 2005 at 10:50 PM Post #56 of 74
Does this baby have enough juice to power a couple small, efficient desktop speakers in a nearfield configuration? (i.e. 3 ft from each ear?)

Anybody try it?

Jan 18, 2005 at 11:00 PM Post #57 of 74
Quote:

Originally Posted by dstroot
Does this baby have enough juice to power a couple small, efficient desktop speakers in a nearfield configuration? (i.e. 3 ft from each ear?)

Anybody try it?

on a side note, i had a good read on nearfield configurations due to your post -

http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/Jun0...s/monitors.asp

bah it preferred B&W over Wharfedale.

Jan 19, 2005 at 12:23 AM Post #58 of 74
Nice pics! The Grace looks sweet!
Anyone have pics of the optional remote for this amp/dac?

Jan 19, 2005 at 3:03 AM Post #59 of 74
dstroot, I have tried it. It sounds good, but very limited in volume capability and dynamics. You also have to deal with the ugly headphone to speaker cable adapter coming out of the front. I would recommend the Grace as a preamp, with either a power amp or powered monitors.

gerG

Jan 19, 2005 at 3:17 AM Post #60 of 74
Oh, man. I built a nice switchbox to compare two different amps. I think perhaps my cold is screwing with my hearing, I built the switchbox wrong (checked continuity many many times, it's all good), or amps really aren't as different as I thought.

I'm having a hard time telling the difference between a Mint and the m902. Likewise having a hard time telling the difference between RME Analog out -> 901 vs. RME Optical out -> m902 Toslink input.
confused.gif

I will have some other SoCal head-fiers have a listen next week hopefully.

Argh!

-Ed

Users who are viewing this thread

Back