Grace m902 1st Impressions
Jan 8, 2005 at 3:23 AM Post #32 of 69
Quote:

Originally Posted by gpalmer
This is Head-Fi buddy, once the wolves realize that you're incapacitated they're more likely to make a grab for the 902 than call the coma police!
biggrin.gif

lmao
biggrin.gif

They won't get far ... I've got some Florida alligators (not fed for a few days, so they are eager and alert) watching it.

Jason (jjcha): mighty impressive setup you've got there. I am not surprised the 902 DAC struggles vs. the Chord Blu combo, that's top drawer stuff.

Edwood: rest easy, buddy, to my ears, the 902's USB sound is easily the equal of the Chaintech optical out, and both just destroy the Analog Devices SoundMAx that I was formerly limited to.

Stevieo: thanks for dropping by, buddy.

Jan 8, 2005 at 3:39 AM Post #33 of 69
Quote:

Originally Posted by agile_one
They won't get far ... I've got some Florida alligators (not fed for a few days, so they are eager and alert) watching it.

Darn and i have to find out right after I bought my plane ticket... Oops, I mean nevermind
tongue.gif

Jan 8, 2005 at 4:50 AM Post #34 of 69
Uh-oh. I gave in and clicked the "buy" button for the m902 at Sweetwater's site. They're out of stock (hmm, wonder why?) so they have to order them in. If you guys are going to do your comparisons to the Benchmark and such, do them quick so I can call and cancel if need be!
etysmile.gif

Naah, I'll do my own listening, but I'm curious to hear other comparisons...

Jan 8, 2005 at 4:59 AM Post #35 of 69
Gene, excellent description, thanks!

It really is a wonderful device, isn't it. It gets really fun when you connect it to front end components that have switching capability as well. Time to play find the signal (the 2 output options make it even more fun).

I did have some minor problems, but they can be attributed to a convoluted setup, for the most part. Here details:

Initial setup was preamp duty. Source was a Ti-book > usb > Yamaha DP-u50 > glass > Behringer DEQ2496 > 30' AES cable > Grace M902 > 10" interconnects > active x-over > Carver amps (bi-block config) >< subs and sats. The Yamaha was only in there to get me from the laptop to the DEQ, which is a required component. It has room corrections, as well as the correction curves for all of my headphones. Results were disappointing. The s-lock would cycle every 2 seconds, and generate huge distortion each time. Isolating components traced the problem to the Yamaha. It must be re-clocking the signal enough that the Grace has a problem with it. Using the 901 as a preamp I never ran into trouble. I would guess that it is possible to bypass the s-lock for such situations, but I skipped the manual and went for the hardware.

Next setup, after various experimental configurations (still preamp): yanked the DP-u50 and Mac. Fed the Sony S9000 straight to the DEQ via optical. Gorgeous! Image is precise, instrument placement is very stable, and dynamics are second to only one system that I have ever heard (Pipedreams with gazillion dollar amps and 4x18 subs). Attack and decay are incredibly fast. Analytical, but without harshness. I like!

Other listens: I did connect the Ti-book straight into the 902 via usb. Very nice, but since I lost the room correction, it was a step backward for me. Anybody know how to route itunes output through pro-grade eq software?

Current setup: I had planned on getting a remote, but the 902 was just too inviting to leave with the power gear at the front of the room, or the source gear at the back of the room. It now resides next to my chair, with a somewhat shorter AES cable as feed, and a longer RCA cable to the x-over. Now I have the volume KNOB within reach for either speakers or headphones. The rubber o-ring on the volume control makes it nice for one finger (or thumb) operation. btw the volume knob has a nice feel to it, with positive click detents. The range is HUGE. I don't need this kind of resolution, but better too fine than too course.

My only remaining issue is a mild ground loop buzz between the 902 and my crossover. I had it with the 901 as well. I run into this occasionally, and I will sort it out.

Bottom line: sweeeet!

I still want a 904 though. otoh, if we can talk Michael into a portable Grace, it would have priority
wink.gif

gerG

Jan 8, 2005 at 6:02 AM Post #36 of 69
Quote:

Originally Posted by gerG
snip ...
It really is a wonderful device, isn't it. It gets really fun when you connect it to front end components that have switching capability as well. Time to play find the signal (the 2 output options make it even more fun).
... snipgerG

Indeed it is, gerG.

I just knew you would also have your hands on an early copy too.

This little guy is just so capable that it blows me away. I mean, if you need what it gives, there is no competition - headamp, preamp, dac, usb sound card all in a half u config? Mindblowing. Then, to have each of those functions approach state of the art (80 - 95% +/-) in performance? Life is good, as I sit here with USB in from computer, Line in from a MP3 player, Optical in from either CD transport or up budget sound card, and Balanced In from top drawer CD source, what's not to like, especially when monitoring with L3000's?

I am blown away by the m902, just like your avatar.

Jan 8, 2005 at 7:10 AM Post #37 of 69
Quote:

Originally Posted by dc_guy
Uh-oh. I gave in and clicked the "buy" button for the m902 at Sweetwater's site. They're out of stock (hmm, wonder why?) so they have to order them in. If you guys are going to do your comparisons to the Benchmark and such, do them quick so I can call and cancel if need be!
etysmile.gif

Naah, I'll do my own listening, but I'm curious to hear other comparisons...

Try www.riksmusic.com.

They may have them in stock. They are quoting about $1500 now.
Goto Browse Brands --> Grace Design --> m902

Although due to a price mistake, I got it a little lower. But they fixed their error now.
evil_smiley.gif

-Ed

Jan 8, 2005 at 8:41 AM Post #38 of 69
Cool, 902 is without doubt feature king.
A swiss army officer's knife for head-fiers.

Jan 8, 2005 at 6:05 PM Post #39 of 69
A question for you M902 owners that also have HD600s/650s. Does the supposed neutrality and truthfulness of the Grace balance nicely the smooth nature of the Senns? (I don't want to say un-exciting nature of the Senns, cause that would be too easy for you Senn disliker's
tongue.gif
)

Thanks from a very interested party...

gb

Jan 8, 2005 at 7:21 PM Post #41 of 69
Wow... that really is "pr*n". _My_ Grace wouldn't pose naked like that...
600smile.gif

grace2.jpg

Just doing some A/B'ing... Ok, gonna shut up for a few weeks while I really form an informed opinion.

Best,

-Jason

Jan 8, 2005 at 7:57 PM Post #43 of 69
I apologize for the newbie question (if it is one) but is it possible to get DVD-A source (two channel or 5.1 downsampled to two channel) digitally to the 902m? I thought DVD-A sources will not output digitally at the original bit rate due to copy protection unless MLP or some such is being used, and I assume the 902m does not have the appropriate decoder. Or is this not true? If there is a way to get source to 902m at 24/96 or 24/192 digitally, I'm up for this as well!

Jan 8, 2005 at 8:18 PM Post #44 of 69
Great pictures, Gene! Perhaps the m902 will join my DAC1 soon...
evil_smiley.gif

jjcha,
I'm not a beer guy (or an alcohol guy for that matter), but Asahi and Orion are my favorite Japanese brews (I prefer them to Kirin and Sapporo), wait it's a thread crap - sorry guys!

Jan 8, 2005 at 8:27 PM Post #45 of 69
Gene, awesome pics but you're killing me here. I am desperately trying to hold onto the $1500 that it would cost to by the 902. Just when I thought it was safely in my possession you go ahead and post those sweet pics. I must resist and pay for my VPI Scout first. I call dibs on the first used M902 for sale.

Just noticed this was my 2000 post. I would like to ask for a moment of silence for my wallet.......................I feel better now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back