Grace Digital GDI-BTAR502 Digital Integrated Stereo Amplifier
Nov 14, 2013 at 11:43 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

ACDOAN

1000+ Head-Fier
Any one own one of these gadget ? $155.00 a pop. 50 WPC x2 @ 6 Ohm. with Buetooth. Not a T amp but a switching class D amp.

As an audio junkie, I think I may have  need to toy with it.

Nov 27, 2013 at 12:10 AM Post #2 of 8
Finally, I 've got a hold of the Grace Digital GDI-BTAR502 Digital Integrated Stereo Amplifier. I will have some times this week-end to take some pictures and get you guys more in detail about the build quality a and sound quality of the Grace Digital GDI-BTAR502 Digital Integrated Stereo Amplifier.

First impression, we have a winner here in term of features and benefits. The sound quality is stunning, way out of my expectation.I do not want to rush myself but I want to learn the Grace Digital GDI-BTAR502 Digital Integrated Stereo Amplifier a few more days with different set ups and I will let you guys know my impression.

That's all I have for now. Stay tune if you are in a market for an integrated digital amp with Bluethooth.

Happy Thanksgiving.

Andrew Doan

Dec 5, 2013 at 3:35 PM Post #3 of 8
Sorry guys, I am working in retails and during the Black Friday, I had to stock up a lot of  big screen TVs for the early- bird sales that I suffered a broken shoulder. Therefor, the details review will have to wait until my recover. I am not good in typing with my left hands plus my pain killer kicks in that I think I better serve you guys in a later day.

Sincerely,

Andrew Doan

Dec 10, 2013 at 10:42 PM Post #4 of 8
Sorry to hear about your injury. I've been trying to research this unit but haven't found much other than Amazon reviews. Would like to get some detailed information about the audio quality, and its possible use as a remote-controlled head unit/preamp (though the line output). Also concerned about reports of excessive noise from some Amazon users. Wondering if the lower powered version of the unit would alleviate that.

Feb 18, 2015 at 2:03 PM Post #5 of 8
I bought the 513 variant of these last week and have it mostly set up now.  I bought it after getting fed up with trying out an old Sony HCT 550 to listen to music streamed from a NAS to a tablet in the bedroom using a 35 buck bluetooth dongle. 

I have a decent pair of speakers that weren't in use elsewhere, and was wondering about buying an Audioengine or similar higher quality bluetooth receiver when I ran across the 513.  It ticked a lot of boxes for me - enough power to run the speakers,  both BT and line in audio, small, relatively inexpensive at around $150. 

The first discovery was just how bad Bluetooth can be compared to the headphone out jack on a tablet.  Much of this is ROM dependent;  I have two tabs, neither has aptx support, and one of the two plays over BT either terribly or so badly it's hard to believe, depending on which ROM is running.  The obvious errors (loss of high frequencies, and in the worst case shifted pitch) weren't present using the wired jack. 

However, there was another issue with the wired jack - when connected to a tablet, there was pink noise present at around 30 db below program level, and also a ticking sound audible once a minute. 

I retired a WD TV Live Plus a bit back, so I tried plugging it back in and running analog out from the WD to the aux in on the Grace unit.  The difference was night and day, and Grace probably ought to look at the design to see why there's so much noise present on the analog line when a device that's not plugged into the mains is feeding it. 

Ultimately, in a configuration that's not what 95% of customers will use or be set up to use, the unit can sound OK, although I haven't sat with it and tried to do any serious listening yet.  This is a bedroom system, of course, so there are constraints on speaker placement and the like - the system's a big convenience rather than intended to sound as good what's out in the living room. 

I can't blame Grace for the poor quality of BT audio - I have one device that is OK with it, and another which is good or bad depending on what software is in use. 

The design of the analog in, though, is really too bad since I don't know how many folks will be able to deal with the issues it presents. 

That said, once I got it set up, I have a listenable way to get BT audio when I choose to use it, and in combination with the WD gear a DLNA/UpNP renderer that sounds OK. 

Is it worth $150?  Probably not for most people, given the issues with the aux input. Although, it seems that's an issue with a lot of this style of amps - that folks are hearing a lot of noise on the aux input.  Not sure how many of those with the noise reports are using a free-floating signal and how many have the source connected to house power.

While looking into the aux in noise, I didn't see any glaring problems in the internal assembly. 

the key components seem to be:
- Wolfson 8731s codec
- TPA 3116 A284 under the heat sink and thermal paste
- NEC c4556 op amp (?) - the chip is labeled C4556 and that's apparently a NEC op amp
- TI CD4052B mux and a
- PT2313E (volume and tone control?)

May 21, 2015 at 4:34 PM Post #6 of 8
So, I'm building a cover patio and I am going to be placing four in ceiling polk audio speakers and I was trying to figure out if I should use the Grace Digital amp and just connect the speakers and just have my computer and apple products connected to the system that way or if I should just connect the outdoor speakers to my Denon receiver and then just connect an extra apple tv that I already have and just run my music through that? Thoughts or advice...

May 29, 2015 at 1:14 PM Post #7 of 8
So, I'm building a cover patio and I am going to be placing four in ceiling polk audio speakers and I was trying to figure out if I should use the Grace Digital amp and just connect the speakers and just have my computer and apple products connected to the system that way or if I should just connect the outdoor speakers to my Denon receiver and then just connect an extra apple tv that I already have and just run my music through that? Thoughts or advice...

If this is your primary home theater receiver and it has zone speaker outputs, certainly could be convenient to have all your sources running through it. For a while, many receivers were setup to playback digital sources over secondary zone outputs. Best to verify if your receiver has that capability if you need it.

Dec 15, 2015 at 10:39 AM Post #8 of 8
are those buttons on the front-panel for Balance? Most prefer a knob.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back