Grace Design x Massdrop m9XX DAC/Amp Review: First Impressions
Jan 23, 2017 at 4:44 PM Post #1,937 of 2,153

Can you be more specific? I am considering m9xx, but few mentioned that Schiit better... Which I am not considering either anymore.

The m9XX is roughly equivalent to the Asgard as an amp and the old bifrost 4490 as a DAC.  But the m9XX also has more features (adjustable filters and crossfeed).  

However, the modi multibit is a little bit better DAC than the m9XX.  It's smoother and has more detail.  

Ranking the Schiit gear in comparison to the m9XX (IMHO obviously):

DACs:

Yggdrasil > Gungnir Multibit > Modi multibit = Bifrost multibit > Gungnir > bifrost4490 = m9XX > modi2U > Fulla2 > Modi2

Amps:

Ragnarok > Mjolnir > Lyr2 > Asgard2 = Jotunheim > Vali2 > m9XX > Valhalla2 > Magni2U > Magni2

The statement that Schiit "doesn't compare to the m9XX" is kind of silly.  And I say that as somebody who owns and loves his m9XX.  Obviously the rankings would vary dependent on the user's specific gear, preferences and listening volume.

Jan 23, 2017 at 8:57 PM Post #1,939 of 2,153

The other aspect, as you hint, is that while 1 watt and 2.8 watts, while it sounds like WAAAAAYYYYYY more power, actually isn't much more power.  Especially if the 2.8 watts can't be maintained and causes heat dissipation issues.  That probably only means a difference of 2-3 dB in average listening levels, and 4dB in ability of peak, occasional loudness.  

This is why some people use speaker taps.  Some listeners need like 10 watts to get their music to the ear crushing levels they desire with appropriate head room.  

More than very occasional, extremely brief sessions at the 100dB+ levels we are talking about WILL damage your hearing eventually.  I don't like chastising people on here too much for their volume levels, but for others, it's just not safe to listen at that level regularly (i.e. more than once a month, on accident, for under a minute).  Everybody's ears are different, sure, but that just means the damage will happen at different rates at those levels.  No matter how good your ear is at protecting itself, 100dB is damaging your hearing, no ifs, ands or buts.  The only question is: is it damaging at such a rate that you'll go effectively deaf by 60 years old or 80 years old (or before medical science develops perfect cochlear implants).

Good point on the hearing damage. Not chastising here just warning. NOSH says to limit 100 db exposure to 15 minutes per day. They use a 3 db exchange. For each 3 db you half the time. Meaning at 106 db they say no more than about 3.5 minutes. It has been shown that exceeding these levels WILL cause hearing damage. Damage that is not reversible. Once it is gone, it is gone forever. Knowledge is power... be careful people.

Jan 27, 2017 at 4:17 PM Post #1,940 of 2,153
The m9XX is roughly equivalent to the Asgard as an amp and the old bifrost 4490 as a DAC.  But the m9XX also has more features (adjustable filters and crossfeed).  

However, the modi multibit is a little bit better DAC than the m9XX.  It's smoother and has more detail.  

Ranking the Schiit gear in comparison to the m9XX (IMHO obviously):

DACs:

Yggdrasil > Gungnir Multibit > Modi multibit = Bifrost multibit > Gungnir > bifrost4490 = m9XX > modi2U > Fulla2 > Modi2

Amps:

Ragnarok > Mjolnir > Lyr2 > Asgard2 = Jotunheim > Vali2 > m9XX > Valhalla2 > Magni2U > Magni2

The statement that Schiit "doesn't compare to the m9XX" is kind of silly.  And I say that as somebody who owns and loves his m9XX.  Obviously the rankings would vary dependent on the user's specific gear, preferences and listening volume.

This is a great comparison and good high view of where the m9XX might lie in the Schitt line for some users. You then can then add in the m9XX's footprint, filters, IEM to headphone power control, volume control, output management (headphone/monitor outs), CROSSFEED, power options, and transportability and I believe that's the kicker in addition to the DAC and AMP quality for the true value of this unit.

Sometimes I get the urge to upgrade but this little amp doesn't disappoint. Not gonna lie, I do have an itch for the Mimby/Jotty combo but that doesn't have many of the aforementioned features but that's fine also. Maybe curiosity needs to kill the wallet? What's most disappointing about the Jotty is that there's no way to power on/off the speaker output independent of the headphones. What's awesome is the stability from very low to high power and the balance options. A bummer and yes I know a remote power switch and other gadgets can be used, but the engineered integration of these features along with the quality of the DAC/AMP combo (m9XX) are what make this such an awesome device! I'm also really interested in hearing (or not) the Mimby DAC differences.

Sometimes I feel that I'd like something that gives the 400i a but more slam or opens up the veil on the HD6XX but at this point, I don't know if the Jotty is the answer or if what I'm really chasing are different headphones. Someone mentioned the 400i out of the Mimby/Jotty balanced was awesome, but would that provide over the m9XX? I listen to 320 kbps mp3 files for the most part so maybe there are more gains to be made on the source files? Any comments/opinions are always appreciated.

Jan 27, 2017 at 5:46 PM Post #1,941 of 2,153
Well, I got my M9XX the other day and I have to say I'm blown away. I was using a system that was way overkill (and probably way too high an output impedance) for IEM listening, so I picked up an M9XX from the classifieds. It sounds absolutely fantastic. Loads of detail and dead silent background; exactly what I was looking for. Listening to some Eric Clapton with my Earsonics Velvets and all is right in the world. Glad to have had this recommended to me. 

Still love my Project Ember and have it hooked up for headphones, but it's not the right choice for IEMs I feel. 

-Collin-

Jan 30, 2017 at 2:42 AM Post #1,942 of 2,153
Greetings - just for the off-chance that anyone has the m9xx and the Senn HDVD 800 --- I'm considering to upgrade from Grace to the HDVD 800 (for use with HD800 headphones) --- can get the HDVD 800 for some $600 .... worth the upgrade?
Cheers

Jan 30, 2017 at 10:10 AM Post #1,943 of 2,153
  Greetings - just for the off-chance that anyone has the m9xx and the Senn HDVD 800 --- I'm considering to upgrade from Grace to the HDVD 800 (for use with HD800 headphones) --- can get the HDVD 800 for some $600 .... worth the upgrade?
Cheers

I recently added the HDVD 800 to my dac/amp lineup, primarily with the intent of experiencing a balanced cable (not yet purchased) with my HD 800 HPs and having the capability of easily comparing multiple HPs.  Up until that point I was primarily using my m9XX for my HD 800 and T1.  Since the HDVD 800 was specifically designed for the HD 800 I had hopes I would hear a significant improvement in sound.  I haven't done a lot of critical AB listening, but early impressions are not much has changed, the single ended Grace m9XX is a just plain all around excellent performer IMO;   the m9XX  AK4490 DAC is a newer better DAC than the Texas Instrument Burr Brown PCM1792 DAC found in the HDVD 800, and is capable of higher bit rates and DSD if that is desired.  The other big plus for the m9XX is its relatively low output impedance allows it to be compatible w/low impedance HPs as well as the high impedance the HDVD 800 is designed for.

So no I would not say the HDVD 800 is a step up from the m9XX (single ended), but it is a beautiful piece w/balanced output capability, and so far I am very happy owning it.  $600 is an excellent price.

Jan 30, 2017 at 3:22 PM Post #1,945 of 2,153
Thanks eegle - hm, I've to say that I do really like the Grace and happy to keep on my desk for a long time to come (Senn might be avail 2nd hand soon for good price, hence my considerations). Good point re low impedance headphones (re IEMs too). I'll have to read up on 'balanced setups' and whether that would change things ... for now the Grace will remain my fav amp and is being used daily 
smile_phones.gif

Jan 30, 2017 at 6:25 PM Post #1,946 of 2,153
I'm enjoying mine greatly, but I was using it with my Ember and had the volume set to 90 for "line level" as per the manual. Then I plugged in a pair of IEMs and pressed the button and it blasted me out of my chair. I think my ears are still ringing. I wish it had a power on/off button or something. Granted this is my fault and I'm an idiot, but man that shot me out of my chair lol. 

-Collin-

Jan 30, 2017 at 6:28 PM Post #1,947 of 2,153
  I'm enjoying mine greatly, but I was using it with my Ember and had the volume set to 90 for "line level" as per the manual. Then I plugged in a pair of IEMs and pressed the button and it blasted me out of my chair. I think my ears are still ringing. I wish it had a power on/off button or something. Granted this is my fault and I'm an idiot, but man that shot me out of my chair lol. 

-Collin-

You can simply click the volume roller button once for mute. 

Feb 2, 2017 at 12:05 PM Post #1,949 of 2,153
  Well, I got my M9XX the other day and I have to say I'm blown away. I was using a system that was way overkill (and probably way too high an output impedance) for IEM listening, so I picked up an M9XX from the classifieds. It sounds absolutely fantastic. Loads of detail and dead silent background; exactly what I was looking for. Listening to some Eric Clapton with my Earsonics Velvets and all is right in the world. Glad to have had this recommended to me. 

Still love my Project Ember and have it hooked up for headphones, but it's not the right choice for IEMs I feel. 

-Collin-

That looks like a great setup.  I'm considering adding a tube amp to pair with the Grace M9XX.  Would love to hear your impressions of using the M9XX amplifier vs. the Ember for any headphones you own.  I'm pretty happy the overall power of the M9XX but was interested in a adding a tube section to add some warmth for a couple of my headphones (namely the TH-900 and HE-400i).  I am considering both the Ember and the Sunrise for their ability to pair with low impedance hp's.  

Feb 2, 2017 at 12:40 PM Post #1,950 of 2,153

That looks like a great setup.  I'm considering adding a tube amp to pair with the Grace M9XX.  Would love to hear your impressions of using the M9XX amplifier vs. the Ember for any headphones you own.  I'm pretty happy the overall power of the M9XX but was interested in a adding a tube section to add some warmth for a couple of my headphones (namely the TH-900 and HE-400i).  I am considering both the Ember and the Sunrise for their ability to pair with low impedance hp's.  

I'm pretty happy overall with the pairing. Like I said, the M9XX is much better suited for IEMs than the Ember. The Ember also has the ability to provide a nice warmth for headphones and it's extremely flexible based on what tube you choose. I have probably 20 different tubes for it, so that's why I'm not selling it anytime soon. I have no experience with the Sunrise, but I would probably go for the Ember myself given that you can find good deals on the classifieds that negates the price difference. The Ember struggles to really push my HE-560, but I think on an HE-400 the results will be great. One thing to be aware of is that you need to set the M9XX to 90 on the volume for line-out functionality and then NOT forget it's set there the next time you plug headphones directly into the M9XX 
evil_smiley.gif

If you do get an Ember to pair with the M9XX, feel free to PM me for some tube recommendations. Overall, I'm very pleased. 

-Collin-

Users who are viewing this thread

Back