Grace Design x Massdrop m9XX DAC/Amp Review: First Impressions
Feb 5, 2016 at 11:00 AM Post #1,126 of 2,153
That circuit board is packed!

I like the form factor a ton! Seems "weighty", big top knob, rounded edges. Looks modern and classic.

Desktop dac/amp in a transportable size.

Something one can have in a cubicle desk without calling too much attention to oneself.

Plus, a really nice looking (and seemingly) feeling knob to fiddle with. The embedded button though could become a problem down the road.

My hesitation is all the "neutral" description, which for me can become boring after a while.

Why not just let the headphone do the coloring.

Feb 5, 2016 at 11:55 AM Post #1,127 of 2,153
All good points, I don't have a good reason for not wanting a neutral amp..... just a bunch of ruminations.....

The reputation of Grace counts for a lot to me.

I have the O2 amp (I don't use the separate DAC) with my Bimby. So, I feel I am covered in the neutral amp.... though I could be mistaken.

I have actually started a small headphone collection precisely for the reason as suggested; Beyerdynamic 770 Pro, AKG K167... I threw in the trash the DT 990, so sibilant that I blame it unjustifiably for my recent tinnitus.

As a result, I am only recently considering something dark, smooth, warm.... Hard for me to forgo all the timbre from Frank Zappa's ranger of percussion instruments.

Maybe I just need a little tube flavor in my life, a little live flavor.

I go back to the form factor, it is just so seductive; admittedly, I like things that are made well, feel substantial, designed well and implemented so. Kinda how I approach cameras.

Too bad the JDS Element knob is poorly implemented, at least that is what I have read.

Since the m9xx can run off the computer's USB (at less output), can I run a split cable and power it from a battery ???

Feb 5, 2016 at 12:02 PM Post #1,128 of 2,153
All good points, I don't have a good reason for not wanting a neutral amp..... just a bunch of ruminations.....

The reputation of Grace counts for a lot to me.

I have the O2 amp (I don't use the separate DAC) with my Bimby. So, I feel I am covered in the neutral amp.... though I could be mistaken.

I have actually started a small headphone collection precisely for the reason as suggested; Beyerdynamic 770 Pro, AKG K167... I threw in the trash the DT 990, so sibilant that I blame it unjustifiably for my recent tinnitus.

As a result, I am only recently considering something dark, smooth, warm.... Hard for me to forgo all the timbre from Frank Zappa's ranger of percussion instruments.

Maybe I just need a little tube flavor in my life, a little live flavor.

I go back to the form factor, it is just so seductive; admittedly, I like things that are made well, feel substantial, designed well and implemented so. Kinda how I approach cameras.

Too bad the JDS Element knob is poorly implemented, at least that is what I have read.

Since the m9xx can run off the computer's USB (at less output), can I run a split cable and power it from a battery ???

You don't need a split cable, a battery can power the "power only" side and then be data only on the other USB slot. Also, it sounds like an Audeze would be right up your alley. Or HD650.

Feb 5, 2016 at 6:11 PM Post #1,129 of 2,153
Just got the grace design today! Very excited, as the build quality is absolutely superb. Everything from the form factor, the weight, the display, and the KNOB, screams quality and thoughtfulness in designing it.

I'm not sure if my ears are just bad, but I can't hear much of a difference between using my T1 on my Asus STX II 7.1 sound card, or the M9XX. Is it because T1 is a headphone that does not scale as well with equipment, like the 650's or the 800's?

Anyway, onto testing my 700.

Feb 5, 2016 at 6:56 PM Post #1,130 of 2,153
  I currently have the m9XX powering my beyerdynamic T1 and HiFiMan HE400i HPs; I switch back and forth depending on what i am listening to and most of the time prefer the wider soundstage of the T1 to the more intimate Jazz Club feel of the HE400i planar's.  A nice listening level for both is in the 70's on the m9XX.

The m9XX effortlessly powers my high impedance and planar headphones providing the best sound quality I have encountered....very pleased and happy I pushed the button to join the last drop.

I listen to the T1's at 75 volume, 80's for short critical listening. Anything higher than 80 is a bit too much IMO. Given the T1 is a 600 ohm headphone, I'd say the M9XX can drive practically anything but the most power hungry planars.

Btw, what filter do you use on the T1? I like F3 so far.

Feb 7, 2016 at 4:35 PM Post #1,131 of 2,153
  I listen to the T1's at 75 volume, 80's for short critical listening. Anything higher than 80 is a bit too much IMO. Given the T1 is a 600 ohm headphone, I'd say the M9XX can drive practically anything but the most power hungry planars.

Btw, what filter do you use on the T1? I like F3 so far.

Well I've been experimenting w/filters F1 - F4 and find the difference so subtle even with acoustic vs electronica or classical that I have yet to develop a favorite filter.  I therefore leave it in the default F1 position.

Are there any recordings recommended that provide good examples with a noticeable filter difference?

I see Grace says F3 is good for reducing the perceived effects off downstream intermodulation distortion due to the Hass Effect......not sure I even know what that sounds like.

Feb 9, 2016 at 1:00 AM Post #1,132 of 2,153

Are there any recordings recommended that provide good examples with a noticeable filter difference?

All filter differences are very subtle.  I've found that if you listen to Jewel's "Serve The Ego" with electrostatics, switching between F1 and F3, or F2 and F4, I can perceive a difference in the apparent distance between the close-miked singer and the rest of the band.  To me, the singer and band are closer to each other with F1/F2 and more ethereal and separated with F3/F4.

Or I could be hallucinating. 
beyersmile.png

- Dave

Feb 9, 2016 at 2:34 AM Post #1,133 of 2,153

All filter differences are very subtle.  I've found that if you listen to Jewel's "Serve The Ego" with electrostatics, switching between F1 and F3, or F2 and F4, I can perceive a difference in the apparent distance between the close-miked singer and the rest of the band.  To me, the singer and band are closer to each other with F1/F2 and more ethereal and separated with F3/F4.

Or I could be hallucinating. 
beyersmile.png

- Dave

I think a lot of hi fi  perception is hallucinatory in nature. Simply by trying to express our impressions of an auditory experience, we have to recall that experience and evaluate it through the lense of our perceptions. There's no doubt some information gets lost in that process, and therefore audio impressions will never be truly neutral or objective, because we have to think about our perception of the auditory experience, which fundamentally changes the original impression we had. And this especially corrupts our impression when we're explicitly trying to compare two different products because that means additional analysis over our experiences, which only dilutes them. The only true audio impression a person will have is their first experience with a certain product.

Feb 9, 2016 at 7:31 AM Post #1,134 of 2,153
I think it's important to remember that Grace never intended the filters to be audible unless you're having issues with aliasing and intermodulation in your system. They shouldn't impact the frequency response at all.

Feb 9, 2016 at 4:28 PM Post #1,135 of 2,153
Initial impressions:

The m9XX seems more laid back and slower than the ODAC+Polaris. Imaging and detail separation along with bass body/impact/fullness seem more defined and textured on the Polaris.

Using the m9Xx as a DAC brought some slight improvements. It's definitely warmer and treble is not as harsh/digital.

EDIT: These are just brief impressions under non-volume matched conditions. I'm gonna need like a week to have accurate impressions.

Feb 11, 2016 at 10:00 AM Post #1,136 of 2,153
Was supposed to receive mine yesterday but Massdrop needs signature confirmation. This is a pain. I won't be home to sign for it any of the days they're redelivering and if I want to get the item from the UPS facility, I have to have a govt issued ID with my address on it, which I don't have. If I don't receive it today, I"m gonna sadly have to find another amp/dac combination and get a refund. :frowning2:

Edit: fortunately I'm in the FAD sonorous hope vi drop, which is an 8 ohm impedance phone :)

Feb 11, 2016 at 11:21 AM Post #1,137 of 2,153
Was supposed to receive mine yesterday but Massdrop needs signature confirmation. This is a pain. I won't be home to sign for it any of the days they're redelivering and if I want to get the item from the UPS facility, I have to have a govt issued ID with my address on it, which I don't have. If I don't receive it today, I"m gonna sadly have to find another amp/dac combination and get a refund.
frown.gif

Edit: fortunately I'm in the FAD sonorous hope vi drop, which is an 8 ohm impedance phone
smily_headphones1.gif

in some ways the sonorous benefits from the m9XX more than most headphones, as it needs <1 ohm output impedance, which most amps (and your phone/computer) are >1 Ohm output impedance.

I didn't have an ID with the address to where it's delivered, and I got mine from UPS, I just had an ID with my name on it, and they were fine, probably just depends on who is working there that day.  But if you call the local center, they will usually work with you in cases like this, just tell them your situation and I'm sure they'll figure out how to get you your package.  Also, it's not Massdrop requesting the signature, it's Grace.  Grace ships the m9XX directly.  Not that it matters who is asking for it, but just wanted to clarify for anybody else as to how/where it ships from.

Feb 11, 2016 at 12:02 PM Post #1,138 of 2,153
in some ways the sonorous benefits from the m9XX more than most headphones, as it needs <1 ohm output impedance, which most amps (and your phone/computer) are >1 Ohm output impedance.

I didn't have an ID with the address to where it's delivered, and I got mine from UPS, I just had an ID with my name on it, and they were fine, probably just depends on who is working there that day.  But if you call the local center, they will usually work with you in cases like this, just tell them your situation and I'm sure they'll figure out how to get you your package.  Also, it's not Massdrop requesting the signature, it's Grace.  Grace ships the m9XX directly.  Not that it matters who is asking for it, but just wanted to clarify for anybody else as to how/where it ships from.

Interesting. I do know through my contact with mass drop support that it's their official policy to require a signature. Because I'm getting the hope vi's through massdrop and had to practically beg them not to require a signature.

I'll have to try contacting the ups facility. I'm not too hopeful because I've already had multiple phone calls and multiple chat supports and they won't budge about the signature. They won't even allow me to set a delivery time. I was really amped about this product but the fact that I've had to spend hours of my time to actually receive it really annoys me.

I'm going to try your advice and call/ show up even though I don't have the address on my id but I'd rather save my money than deal with all this, especially since I won't need an amp for the fad hope vi's

Feb 11, 2016 at 2:22 PM Post #1,139 of 2,153
Was supposed to receive mine yesterday but Massdrop needs signature confirmation. This is a pain. I won't be home to sign for it any of the days they're redelivering and if I want to get the item from the UPS facility, I have to have a govt issued ID with my address on it, which I don't have. If I don't receive it today, I"m gonna sadly have to find another amp/dac combination and get a refund.
frown.gif

Edit: fortunately I'm in the FAD sonorous hope vi drop, which is an 8 ohm impedance phone
smily_headphones1.gif

Long ago I singed up for the FREE service called UPS My Choice which lets you sign for packages online.   

This is great if you don't mind an expensive item on your doorstep.  

Massdrop is simply protecting themselves, and their customers so I have no problem with this delivery method.  My Choice can even route the item to another address for a few $ more.

This is the best DAC/Amp I have encountered, so would hate to see you miss the experience.

Feb 11, 2016 at 2:28 PM Post #1,140 of 2,153
Interesting. I do know through my contact with mass drop support that it's their official policy to require a signature. Because I'm getting the hope vi's through massdrop and had to practically beg them not to require a signature.

I'll have to try contacting the ups facility. I'm not too hopeful because I've already had multiple phone calls and multiple chat supports and they won't budge about the signature. They won't even allow me to set a delivery time. I was really amped about this product but the fact that I've had to spend hours of my time to actually receive it really annoys me.

I'm going to try your advice and call/ show up even though I don't have the address on my id but I'd rather save my money than deal with all this, especially since I won't need an amp for the fad hope vi's

I actually think the FAD VI benefit from an amp with low output impedance more than typical 32 ohm headphones. It's not the power they need as much as an amp with lower output impedance than most phones/DAPs put out. They need sub 1 ohm output impedance, which the m9XX obviously provides.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back