Grace Design x Massdrop m9XX DAC/Amp Review: First Impressions
Jan 7, 2016 at 2:02 PM Post #1,006 of 2,153
  ^This is completely understood. And I would never tell you that I liked how it sounded with my HE-1000. The cheapest setup I have heard that sounds good with those headphones is Liquid Carbon. However I liked how both the m9XX and Liquid Carbon sounded on HD800.

I only mention volume as it directly relates to power, per your original question. It has plenty of power. But it will never emphasize bass, or do anything else to "enhance" a headphone. And as such, there are a handful of headphones I own that I feel sound quite good on the m9XX. And then there are a few that I do not like so much. If you suppose HE-500 is sonically similar to HE-1000 (sorry, I've never heard - have no clue) then you probably too will not like the m9XX. But as far as power, the m9XX has plenty.

Thanks man. Maybe I should consider the senns instead. 600s through 800. Time to do some research. 

Jan 7, 2016 at 11:41 PM Post #1,007 of 2,153
I received my m9xx today and it's fantastic sounding! I'll have to spend some time with it before saying much more, but I like the sound being pumped through my X00's. From a design perspective, Grace did a hell of a job. I like pretty much everything about it save the very slight wobble in the volume pot, but that's nit picking. The interface is intuitive, ergonomics are spot on, and it's built like a tank. And, it looks damn good too! 

Strangely, I'm experiencing crazy distortion while using the m9xx with Audirvana's AU Graphic Equalizer (both playback modes) and the iTunes integrated EQ. Anyone else experiencing this? Maybe I'm missing something...

Cheers!  

Jan 8, 2016 at 2:18 AM Post #1,008 of 2,153
Hmmmm... rebooted my computer and all seems well with the iTunes EQ, but Audirvana is still giving me trouble. I don't use EQ often, it's just fun playing with the bass response on the X00's. Not sure what the deal is... I've tried reducing preamp gain, changing settings, but there's still distortion. The behavior is perfectly fine when I use my MBP's headphone out. Also, I've tried both USB ports... same.

Interestingly, I switched over to BitPerfect and I quite like the sound better. To my ears, it's the more musical pairing with the m9xx. Audirvana sounds a bit more clinical. 

Some quick first impressions. The m9xx is a performer and really shows the full potential of the X00. I listened to the entire Nine Inch Nails Still album (one of those days), and it could have been the first time I truly listened to it. The resolution and soundstage were crazy good on the X00. My ears like filters 1 and 3, and I feel like F1 might be just a little more punchy than F3. Could be perception. The m9xx certainly tightened up the bass response of the X00 and, to my ears, is bringing out a bit more sparkle in the highs. In a very positive way. It's a super clean sound that's easy to enjoy.  

Still, the ergonomics and design are fantastic. The volume knob is well implemented and the user menu easy to navigate. Well done Grace! More impressions as I continue to listen.

Also, I purchased this case for my m9xx. I'll report back with pictures and impressions once it lands.

Cheers!

Edit: And the mute function implementation is another example of how well designed and thought out the m9xx is! 

Jan 8, 2016 at 11:01 AM Post #1,009 of 2,153
So I was thinking about either getting the M9XX the next time there is a drop, a Schiit Stack of some mix, or a JDS Labs O2+ODAC Rev. I'm coming from a Fiio E17 Alpen. I also have a Creative X-FI Titanium HD.

My current headphones are:

Sennheiser HD700
Sennheiser HD598
Fidelio X2
Fostex TH-X00

I'm trying to get a DAC and Amp or DAC/AMP that would bring out the best of most of these headphones. I might be venturing into the domain so many of us fall into of diminishing returns, but I feel like I'm missing something just using the Fiio E17 Alpen's.

I saw a mention that someone using the HD700 with the M9xx thought that this DAC/AMP made the sound stage worse than a Schiit Stack?

http://www.head-fi.org/t/785553/grace-design-x-massdrop-m9xx-dac-amp-review-first-impressions/495#post_12098463

Anyone have any opinions on this? It seems he believes getting a Wyrd potentially fixed this. I didn't see anyone else mention the HD700's here, and I know there are a divisive speaker here since the first production seemed to have a bad problem with sibilance. I have seen several people like fjrabon mention they work great with the Fostex TH-X00.

Jan 8, 2016 at 2:20 PM Post #1,011 of 2,153
Yes, the volume control also controls the RCA output level.
Yes, the crossfeed is switchable via menu setting.
Yes, it can drive 2 headphones at once, but if you have a phone plugged in to the #2 jack, it will mute the RCA output.

I thought about this, and the fact that I need to unplug the headphone in order to activate the RCA output might be the dealbreaker. It seems minor but I prefer leaving my headphone plugged in rather than dangling! If only they just had a switch for it. I also like to have the option to have both RCA output to my integrated amp > speakers and headphone on at the same time just to A/B the sound.

Jan 8, 2016 at 2:26 PM Post #1,012 of 2,153
From Michael Grace...via massdrop thread...

2. The RCA line outputs are variable. For reference, a volume setting of "90" is "unity" on the volume attenuator and will result in an output level of 2Vrms for a full scale digital signal (0dBFS). The maximum output level with the volume at "99." is +14dBV (5.1Vrms)

6. Plugging headphones in to the right hand headphone jack will mute the line outputs. Plugging in to the left hand headphone jack will leave the line outputs active.

Ah, so when the headphone is plugged into jack#1, does the volume control both headphone and RCA output simultaneously?

Jan 8, 2016 at 2:41 PM Post #1,013 of 2,153
Jan 8, 2016 at 4:14 PM Post #1,015 of 2,153

I thought about this, and the fact that I need to unplug the headphone in order to activate the RCA output might be the dealbreaker. It seems minor but I prefer leaving my headphone plugged in rather than dangling! If only they just had a switch for it. I also like to have the option to have both RCA output to my integrated amp > speakers and headphone on at the same time just to A/B the sound.

Seems like a headphone jack splitter like this would be an easy solution.

Jan 8, 2016 at 4:23 PM Post #1,016 of 2,153
  Seems like a headphone jack splitter like this would be an easy solution.

see later posts.  This isn't actually a problem on the m9XX, as one input cuts the RCA, while the other leaves the RCA outs unaffected.  

Jan 9, 2016 at 1:12 AM Post #1,017 of 2,153
Another quick update: I'm really enjoying the m9xx. The more I listen, the more I realize it's not slightly emphasizing nice, sparkling highs so much as it retrieving more detail than I'm accustomed to hearing. I just listened to the triple threat of 212, Wallace, and Heavy Metal and Reflective (16/44 lossless, BitPerfect, Filter 3, no CF) off of Azealia Bank's Broke With Expensive Taste album on my X00's. Sheesh... there's a lot going on there. Good soundstage, detail, imaging, and punchy bass. Regarding bass, I personally wish there was a bit more emphasis on sub bass extension, but what the m9xx offers to my ears in texture and punchiness is a solid tradeoff. Don't get me wrong, there's plenty of extension there when called for, but I know the X00's are capable of producing more.

As said before by many on this thread, I find the m9xx engaging and easy to listen to. I'm happy that I dove into the drop and expect to enjoy the m9xx for years to come. I've previously owned the JDS C5D, ALO Island, Meridian Explorer, and Audioquest Dragonfly (1/1.2). I'm a desktop listener and I like things in small, minimal packages. I seriously considered the iFi and Schiit stacks, but the m9xx is perfect for my needs.

Cheers!

beerchug.gif

Edit: Also, adding more emphasis on the sub bass spectrum would color the m9xx and that's not what it's about. That comment is also the bass head in me talking. 

Jan 9, 2016 at 10:37 PM Post #1,019 of 2,153
So I was thinking about either getting the M9XX the next time there is a drop, a Schiit Stack of some mix, or a JDS Labs O2+ODAC Rev. I'm coming from a Fiio E17 Alpen. I also have a Creative X-FI Titanium HD.

My current headphones are:

Sennheiser HD700
Sennheiser HD598
Fidelio X2
Fostex TH-X00

I'm trying to get a DAC and Amp or DAC/AMP that would bring out the best of most of these headphones. I might be venturing into the domain so many of us fall into of diminishing returns, but I feel like I'm missing something just using the Fiio E17 Alpen's.

I saw a mention that someone using the HD700 with the M9xx thought that this DAC/AMP made the sound stage worse than a Schiit Stack?

http://www.head-fi.org/t/785553/grace-design-x-massdrop-m9xx-dac-amp-review-first-impressions/495#post_12098463

Anyone have any opinions on this? It seems he believes getting a Wyrd potentially fixed this. I didn't see anyone else mention the HD700's here, and I know there are a divisive speaker here since the first production seemed to have a bad problem with sibilance. I have seen several people like fjrabon mention they work great with the Fostex TH-X00.

First ever post here. I received my m9xx less than a week ago. This was my first higher quality amp purchase. I have a E17k and I was pretty skeptical about hearing a clear audible difference with the m9xx before I received it. Well, I can definitely hear a difference and it sounds really good to my ears. I did a lot of A/Bing between the two amps with the th-x00, hd600, and m50x. The most noticeable difference to me so far has been everything above 2khz and the width of the soundstage. The E17k is edgier/grainier in those mids/highs with a narrower in your face character, compared to the m9xx which has smoother mids/highs and wider soundstage which gives it a more laid back buttery character to my ears. The differences aren't hugely dramatic which I expected, but it's enough to make me pretty happy with the purchase and I don't expect to get an itch to get anything else for a long time as I just wanted something transparent for my purposes. I still like the E17k for portable use and it's probably not a fair comparison against something that's at a higher price bracket, but this info might be useful for someone considering a future drop that's in similar shoes as I was.

I appreciate the info I've been able to read on here before buying, especially the posts from fjrabon who doesn't exaggerate improvements with hyperbole. Thanks!

Jan 9, 2016 at 11:08 PM Post #1,020 of 2,153
First ever post here. I received my m9xx less than a week ago. This was my first higher quality amp purchase. I have a E17k and I was pretty skeptical about hearing a clear audible difference with the m9xx before I received it. Well, I can definitely hear a difference and it sounds really good to my ears. I did a lot of A/Bing between the two amps with the th-x00, hd600, and m50x. The most noticeable difference to me so far has been everything above 2khz and the width of the soundstage. The E17k is edgier/grainier in those mids/highs with a narrower in your face character, compared to the m9xx which has smoother mids/highs and wider soundstage which gives it a more laid back buttery character to my ears. The differences aren't hugely dramatic which I expected, but it's enough to make me pretty happy with the purchase and I don't expect to get an itch to get anything else for a long time as I just wanted something transparent for my purposes. I still like the E17k for portable use and it's probably not a fair comparison against something that's at a higher price bracket, but this info might be useful for someone considering a future drop that's in similar shoes as I was.

I appreciate the info I've been able to read on here before buying, especially the posts from fjrabon who doesn't exaggerate improvements with hyperbole. Thanks!

The soundstage and detail the m9xx crank out is quite amazing. I'm coming from the Ultrasone Pro 900 and Signature DJ (not particularly known for their soundstage) and, like you, purchased the X00. For a time, I was using the X00 straight out of my MBP's headphone jack as I sold off all my portable amps/dacs to fund/make room for the m9xx. The m9xx didn't sound bad at all via the headphone out, but it doesn't sound like it does with the m9xx in the chain. I was immediately confused and impressed by the increased soundstage and details. I thought there was some added sparkle and/or some brightness, but that's not the case. I like the 'buttery' descriptor for the m9xx. I think it plays well with everything I throw at it, and I continue to rediscover portions my music library. 

I'm looking forward to a listening session with a friend in the near future where I'll have access to the HD650/800 and Audeze LCD 2/3. Looking forward to pushing the m9xx and listening to what happens. 

dt880smile.png

Edit: previous headphone clarification

Users who are viewing this thread

Back