Grace Design x Massdrop m9XX DAC/Amp Review: First Impressions
Nov 23, 2015 at 4:52 PM Post #529 of 2,153

You will still need either an amp for you speakers, or active speakers. The Grace has a line out that you run to your amp. You can either leave the headphones plugged in all the time in one of the headphone jacks, or use the other jack that disconnects the speakers when the headphone is plugged-in.

Apologies if these are dumb questions, I'm at work and can't dig around properly for answers. Currently with my Meier Classic/Daccord combo, the volume on the Daccord can control the volume out the RCA jacks to my NAD receiver, just how I like it. 

1. So if I don't have headphones plugged in, will the m9XX do the same?
  2. Are you able to switch the crossfeed on and off? 
  3. Can it drive two headphones at once?

interesting. I ended up buying a used DACCord / Classic combination as opposed to the Grace m9xx! What ultimately drew me to the Meier stuff are the external crossed switches and the multi levels of crossed options. I also think the Meier stuff is likely to sound a little better, but they certainly aren't portable. I'm sure the Grace is great, but unless you need portability, I'm not sure you are upgrading.

Nov 23, 2015 at 5:23 PM Post #530 of 2,153
Heard the round two M9XXs are basically already boxed and ready to go the minute the drop ends (hence the quickness of the Re-drop). Hope so. Can't wait to get this baby up and humming.

Random, but anybody heard this with the SRH840 or Grado SR225e. Seen several glowing reviews on its magic with the HE400i (which will be my go to) but not much in the way of reviews with Grados or the closed Shures.

Nov 23, 2015 at 6:09 PM Post #531 of 2,153
Listening to Grado GS1000e being driven by this unit. The sound is a little lean right now, leaner than I like, so I am hoping that it will fill out with time. Sound is very smooth and detailed, and has a delicate quality to it. The source is a budget Dell playing WMA lossless files, nothing high-res; volume is set at 70 on USB power alone I do not cringe at an approaching crescendo like I used to and I can finally relax.

Nov 23, 2015 at 6:21 PM Post #532 of 2,153
Listening to Grado GS1000e being driven by this unit. The sound is a little lean right now, leaner than I like, so I am hoping that it will fill out with time. Sound is very smooth and detailed, and has a delicate quality to it. The source is a budget Dell playing WMA lossless files, nothing high-res; volume is set at 70 on USB power alone I do not cringe at an approaching crescendo like I used to and I can finally relax.

In my experience, every headphone sounds better when the m9XX is in high power mode (USB #2 powered).  It might be worth a try, just to see if it makes a difference with your GS1000e.

- Dave

Nov 23, 2015 at 6:21 PM Post #533 of 2,153
tried the high power mode option yet?

Nov 23, 2015 at 6:22 PM Post #534 of 2,153

interesting. I ended up buying a used DACCord / Classic combination as opposed to the Grace m9xx! What ultimately drew me to the Meier stuff are the external crossed switches and the multi levels of crossed options. I also think the Meier stuff is likely to sound a little better, but they certainly aren't portable. I'm sure the Grace is great, but unless you need portability, I'm not sure you are upgrading.

Yeah as far as options and power, I think the Meier combo is better. I actually have to get an issue repaired with the Classic, so I was considering trying out the Grace in the meantime. I'm most likely keeping the Meier.

Nov 23, 2015 at 7:11 PM Post #535 of 2,153
After a couple dozen hours the harshness I was hearing through my GH1's is gone, leaving behind bright smoothness and retaining its details.

My LCD 2.2's still sound great, too. It doesn't have the warmth of my PanAm, of course, but it's still musical and airy enough for my tastes. The DAC is much better, of course, but I can still feed the PanAm through the em-nine-exty-ex whenever I feel like changing things up.

Nov 23, 2015 at 10:55 PM Post #536 of 2,153
for those with AKG 701/702/712/7xx pls try 'em with da m9xx.

awesome low end GRIP without sacrificing those precious mids & highs.

i've never heard my 701's like this for the past 8yrs.

Nov 24, 2015 at 12:03 AM Post #539 of 2,153
  for those with AKG 701/702/712/7xx pls try 'em with da m9xx.

awesome low end GRIP without sacrificing those precious mids & highs.

i've never heard my 701's like this for the past 8yrs.

It's that much of an improvement huh? You guys are making it exceptionally hard to avoid this drop. I'm finding it so difficult to justify a $500 DAC/amp for $200 headphones (K7XX here), which is a good thing in my book. But man...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back