Grace Design x Massdrop m9XX DAC/Amp Review: First Impressions
Nov 11, 2015 at 8:27 PM Post #423 of 2,153
  Perhaps the m9XX fell into an odd price category? It is perceived as too cheap, to those willing to spend $800+ on just an amplifier and another $1200+ on just a DAC. It is certainly perceived as too expensive for those in the market for an O2+ODAC or Schiit Magni/Modi stack.

The reason I jumped in is because of a recent admiration for sound quality - having recently fallen into the rapture of the Mojo, and noting a significant sound upgrade to my ears. This I hope is another example of quality, above the entry level USB DAC sticks and the two stacks mentioned. I jumped into this with two feet, within seconds of the drop start. I too was surprised it did not sell out, quickly.

I most likely would have joined the M9XX buy had I just not bought a Grace M920 the week or two before on Massdrop.

Nov 12, 2015 at 8:59 PM Post #425 of 2,153
I was certain i would jump in but wanted to wait till I could read as many impressions and general discussions as possible. When i saw it was not going to sell the 500 units i figured to hold off till the next round (can't imagine that it doesn't come around again)...i imagine many were,on the fence and are waiting (second round might be tougher to get in on if the second wave of impressions are super positive).

And, i agree, it's an awkward price point. Before the drop, i was looking for the an aftermarket m903 or the Benchmark DAC (or V200 with integrated DAC). The M9XX seemed perfect! But then for for a couple hundred more i could buy a sure thing...and frankly the first set of impressions seemed to lack substance which made me wary of the initial suggestion that this was a stripped down m920 with the same sonic performance and capabilities. Guess i want to hear more about the warts and HP pairings before i commit.

Its a pretty exciting product and a positive sign for us junkies that Grace was.willing to play.

Nov 14, 2015 at 12:26 AM Post #427 of 2,153
That's frig'n awesome ! Love'n the pics inside the truck during the pickup.

I had thought production would have been in high gear -during- the drop... but you just never know. Super glad to see that was in fact the case.

Nov 16, 2015 at 11:54 AM Post #430 of 2,153
lotta people experiencing regret on not jumping in on the first round, only 19 away from a re-drop being requested.  Pretty crazy for a $500 product that was literally just created a few months ago and only advertised by word of mouth.  I'll certainly be on the second wave.  

Nov 16, 2015 at 6:29 PM Post #431 of 2,153
lotta people experiencing regret on not jumping in on the first round, only 19 away from a re-drop being requested.  Pretty crazy for a $500 product that was literally just created a few months ago and only advertised by word of mouth.  I'll certainly be on the second wave.  

Demand will either spike or drop based on the impressions after regular folks get the device and start to post impressions and comparisons.

Nov 16, 2015 at 6:33 PM Post #432 of 2,153
Other than Chord Mojo, against what other devices are comparisons expected?

Nov 16, 2015 at 9:20 PM Post #433 of 2,153
Other than Chord Mojo, against what other devices are comparisons expected?

Schit stack
Any other combination of DAC and amp at the 400-600 price point
Element
NAD 1050
Geek out stuff
Audio quest stuff
I'm sure there's more

Nov 16, 2015 at 10:19 PM Post #434 of 2,153
Schit stack
Any other combination of DAC and amp at the 400-600 price point
Element
NAD 1050
Geek out stuff
Audio quest stuff
I'm sure there's more

Cool! I'll add my brief impression versus JDS Labs The Element, which is what I'm really debating, and Geek Out V2 in balanced mode - I did not care for GOV2 in single-ended.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back