Grace Design x Massdrop m9XX DAC/Amp Review: First Impressions
Nov 3, 2015 at 10:39 AM Post #331 of 2,153
Updated review with Connection update - no need to use USB add-on hub anymore with the installation of the 0008_DFU firmware update.  Updated with pictures, more information regarding the filters and where to learn more about the AK4490 DAC as well.

Nov 3, 2015 at 2:15 PM Post #335 of 2,153
for the 20th time, can someone out there compare the m9xx to the iDSD Micro?

Dude, chill out.

The m9xx hasn't shipped yet, the m9xx Drop doesn't end for 3 more days. They estimate the shipping to start on Nov. 20th.

Only a small handful of people have ever heard/reviewed it, and they may not have had an iDSD Micro on hand with which to directly compare.

If you read the thread and look at the Drop, you'd see these units aren't yet available. To date it is a Massdrop exclusive, you can't (yet) go buy an m9xx from a Grace dealer.

Nov 3, 2015 at 2:23 PM Post #336 of 2,153

That's a tough question. I like the Concero HD a bit more when compared to m9XX as DAC only. The Concero HD/HP use the same DAC section so it follows your HP is slightly better than m9XX in DAC functionality. Resonessence, like Grace Design, really knows what they are doing with regards to maximizing performance.

However, I do think the m9XX has the edge as a headphone amp. Not necessarily with a Grado or Audio Technica - they are pretty even in that comparison. But throw an LCD-3 or Alpha Dogs/Prime into that comparison and the Grace wins every time. I don't have a DT 880 but with a T1 I'd also go Grace, in high power mode. 

Bottom line - the m9XX probably wouldn't be a revelatory upgrade for you, as your HP is already excellent. However, with those specific headphones, it does bring something to the table. Worth the trouble of switching? That's hard to say.  

Thanks a lot! This really helps to put things in perspective.

Nov 3, 2015 at 3:06 PM Post #337 of 2,153
Dude, chill out.

The m9xx hasn't shipped yet, the m9xx Drop doesn't end for 3 more days. They estimate the shipping to start on Nov. 20th.

Only a small handful of people have ever heard/reviewed it, and they may not have had an iDSD Micro on hand with which to directly compare.

If you read the thread and look at the Drop, you'd see these units aren't yet available. To date it is a Massdrop exclusive, you can't (yet) go buy an m9xx from a Grace dealer.

i guess im a bit excited/anxious to find out

Nov 3, 2015 at 6:53 PM Post #340 of 2,153
Nov 3, 2015 at 9:51 PM Post #341 of 2,153
OK, I am in for the drop.

Anybody who tried it has any idea where it's sound is related to Apogee Groove or DACMini CX ?

I think Groove does very well considering its limitations - I like its sound better than original Bifrost's, which is bizarre considering that Bifrost has odds stacked all in its favor (higher price, access to mains power, much larger/heavier), but Groove's size/power limitations are restraining it, especially with higher impedance headphones. DACMini CX DAC sounds VERY good to me and if 9xx can get close to performance of its DAC and match it with less dry/analytical sound of the amp, I will be very happy.

Nov 3, 2015 at 11:20 PM Post #343 of 2,153
Interesting comparison would be with this and the new Teac 503 which uses the same dac chip. The Teac is a much more expensive product so perhaps it would not be fair. Still it would be interesting.

Nov 4, 2015 at 2:10 AM Post #345 of 2,153
I think you are over analyzing this too much because I am pretty sure, if you stay on this board, you'll be trading your desktop amp/DAC in a not so distant future unless you're the type of person who can stop soon after that purchase. If you are that kind of person then I would understand your hesitation. I find the best way to approach a purchase and that's just my opinion is to make a list of the features you want in a desktop amp/DAC including the price. You do have to be reasonable. Then mark the list if you hit the features and buy, else pass. If you can't stop at buying a unit then just pick any, you'll sure trade it quickly down the road. If you do get a draw then flip a coin. :wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back