Grace Design x Massdrop m9XX DAC/Amp Review: First Impressions
Nov 2, 2015 at 4:15 PM Post #316 of 2,153
  Unfortunately, I didn't any jazz music at the time (my hard drive broke). Knowing what I've seen with the m9XX/HD650 pairing, I would take a guess and say that the bloated bass will ruin classical music, and would probably not be great for jazz either. 

The HD650 wasn't burned in though (straight out of the box), so that could have made a big difference. I was surprised to hear the pairing was as bad as it turned out to be, although I was a bit overly critical in the assessments.

The reason I said the X1S would probably be better was because the X1S tightens and cleans up the lower end of every headphone I tried with it. So instead of sounding bloated, the low end of the HD 650 should become a lot cleaner. I haven't tried the two together, so that's just my guess.

Don't know what's the hype with the HD 650, perhaps they sound really good with something like the Bottlehead Crack.

YMMV, as always! I just wish there was someone else to either confirm/reject what I heard.

Thanks for the reply.  In general though, how did the X1S stack against the m9xx?  I have other headphones as well besides the HD650.    I read your review of the X1S which seemed very positive. Did you prefer it to the m9xx?

Nov 2, 2015 at 4:41 PM Post #318 of 2,153
  If it's as nice as a 500 dollar dac/amp will get me then I'll gladly take it. It's always the thought of "better" options that I hate. I only have so many dollars to doll out. Still, I can't really think of anything better at 500 dollars so I might as well stick with it. 

The iFi Micro is a $500 dac/amp that I and lots of others like a lot, which is why I'd be interested in comparisons of the Micro to this

Nov 2, 2015 at 5:49 PM Post #321 of 2,153
  Thanks for the reply.  In general though, how did the X1S stack against the m9xx?  I have other headphones as well besides the HD650.    I read your review of the X1S which seemed very positive. Did you prefer it to the m9xx?

I don't have both in my possession at the moment, though I thought I gave differences between the two, although it may not have been so obvious. Basically, The m9XX has a ton of detail over the X1S (if my memory serves correctly), sounds less compressed overall, and has a more natural bass - the X1S almost reduces the bass of most headphones, which could be useful, but didn't work as well with the K7XX, HE400S, etc.

In terms of soundstage, I'm pretty sure the X1S had a wider soundstage over the m9XX when it came to the T90 (only this headphone), but I can't say anything for sure without A/B-ing the two. Other than that, the m9XX is a clear winner. The X1S is fabulous for the price ($220 or so on Massdrop), and much better than the ODAC/O2 and Schiit stack IMO, but it doesn't compare to the m9XX level of detail and natural sound. 

Are you saying that the m9xx is much much better than the aune x1s?

Can't say for sure as I don't have both at the moment, but I'm pretty sure yes. However, a few headphones don't pair well with the m9XX, and there are probably a few that are a fantastic match with the X1S. On a whole though, the m9XX is much better, if my memory is to be trusted. Look at the first part of this comment for specific differences. 

Nov 2, 2015 at 5:52 PM Post #322 of 2,153
The X1S is fabulous for the price ($220 or so on Massdrop), and much better than the ODAC/O2 and Schiit stack IMO, but it doesn't compare to the m9XX level of detail and natural sound. 

Interesting... so you put the M9xx above the O2 stack and the Schiit stack? 

Nov 2, 2015 at 5:57 PM Post #323 of 2,153

Interesting... so you put the M9xx above the O2 stack and the Schiit stack? 

I would really need to A/B them all before I made a definitive statement 
biggrin.gif
 I never had all three at the same time. I do know though that the O2 stack and Schiit stack never wowed me on first listen like the X1S did. It could be though that the O2/Schiit have more detail, that I don't remember.... YMMV? 
frown.gif

Nov 2, 2015 at 8:53 PM Post #327 of 2,153
  ...Examples of really well done gear include the previously mentioned Chord Hugo and the Resonessence Labs Concero family... 

...I do prefer the Concero products or the m9XX to DACs like the Bryston BDA-1 despite the latter having a more traditional audiophile-approved PSU. ...

So, which one do you like more: m9XX or Resonessence Labs Concero?

I have Concero HP and love it; and now wonder if m9XX would add something amazing... (In general or with Alpha Prime and DT 880 (600ohm).)

Nov 3, 2015 at 10:11 AM Post #330 of 2,153

So, which one do you like more: m9XX or Resonessence Labs Concero?

I have Concero HP and love it; and now wonder if m9XX would add something amazing... (In general or with Alpha Prime and DT 880 (600ohm).)

That's a tough question. I like the Concero HD a bit more when compared to m9XX as DAC only. The Concero HD/HP use the same DAC section so it follows your HP is slightly better than m9XX in DAC functionality. Resonessence, like Grace Design, really knows what they are doing with regards to maximizing performance.

However, I do think the m9XX has the edge as a headphone amp. Not necessarily with a Grado or Audio Technica - they are pretty even in that comparison. But throw an LCD-3 or Alpha Dogs/Prime into that comparison and the Grace wins every time. I don't have a DT 880 but with a T1 I'd also go Grace, in high power mode. 

Bottom line - the m9XX probably wouldn't be a revelatory upgrade for you, as your HP is already excellent. However, with those specific headphones, it does bring something to the table. Worth the trouble of switching? That's hard to say.  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back